Crochet World June 2009

fthrem

I just got this issue in the mail and I was so excited because the casserole carrier on the cover is adorable. However, that went away when I opened it up. Is it just me or is this issue horrible? The Shopper's Dream Shrug and Mango Cloche? :eek

I enjoyed my copy of it. There were a lot of items in it I liked. I did just look at my copy again to see The Shopper's Dream Shrug and Mango Cloche. Okay, the Dream Shrug is way too far out for my taste.:rofl The Mango Cloche might be all right especially in another color. I don't think I would wear it but maybe some of today's teens would like it. Overall though I did enjoy this issue and I am glad I recently renewed my subscription to it.

Is it just me or is this issue horrible?

I liked this issue.

I love the sand castle, which I plan to make probably in grey for my daughter. Probably will make her the Barbie clothes, too.

I thought the dinosaur hoody was cute as are the little girl dress, the priate afghan, and even the stars and stripes afghan.

I did not like the casserole carrier actually. Nor did I like the Dream Srug or Mango Cloche.

I currently have a subscription to Crochet Today, I just put in my name to recieve a free issue of Crochet World. I'm sure I will enjoy this magazine also. Can't wait to recieve it and decide if I want a sub to this one too.

I really liked the dino hoodie and the pirate afghan but thats about it. I usually really enjoy this magazine, I guess its just an off month for me!

How's the saying go? You can't please all of the people all of the time but you can please some of the people some of the time!

True.

The last issue of Crochet Today was mostly baby items and I have no babies in my life. However I thought of some things I could do with the patterns. The swirly baby bib would be cute as a potholder. And then some other ideas.

I will check out this magazine next time I'm in the grocery store that actually carries it. I have picked up the last few issues and if I keep doing this a few more times (maybe once more after this one) I will subscribe again.

Debbi

I also did not care for the shrug and the mango hat thing. (maybe the hat in another color for teens...or whatever colors they like, but the combo in one picture made me go "What were they thinking?!" However, I also really liked the castle, the dino hoodie (DS is too old for it, but it's CUTE) and some of the other patterns. I guess I'm just not as fashion "forward" as this model? LOL

This is so wonderful to hear what everyone likes and dislikes (well, maybe not wonderful, but wonderfully informative). The shrug was a nod to Isla Fisher's get up in Confessions of a Shopaholic and we thought it would work as a prom coverup. Please keep putting these opinions on here so we can create the magazine that you want. CW truly does aim to please its readers.

hello k and c! welcome to the 'ville! (FYI, I've been a CW subscriber since 05 and save every issue) I think the mag does an excellent job of having a wide variety of patterns. :clapI personally didn't care for the shrug (and the hat in that color with the shrug) but that's just me. (I imagine there are some young women, prom-age that might like that shrug, or something like it, for a cover-up.)there were tons of other stuff I did. My DD keeps asking for me to make her things. (Like the puppies in the last issue) I think my nephew may be getting that dino hoodie for Christmas this year :D I say keep up the good work. My subscription is renewed through 2011, and I hope to continue for a LOONG time. :)

(ETA, I'm a 30-something SAHM of 2, so my fashion sense is probably nowhere near what comes in the current fashion mags LOL)

the sand and surf necklace was one of my designs, so if anyone makes it and wants to em me a pic, i will post it on my show and tell page on the website! Same with the Lovely Ruffles shawl in last month's issue, or any of my other designs for that matter.

I was a little shocked by the shrug and the hat too. Not only the colors but that shrug looked like a cat got tangled up in 20 balls of fun fur. :eek For the most part, I don't like working with fun fur, just for trim and even then, I knit it when I can. Patterns using it generally don't interest me. I LOVED the dino sweater. A few modification and I think I can bang one out for my son. I also liked the stars bookmarks. Cute! :hook

Congrats on being in my fave mag! :D That was a pretty necklace you designed. (Don't know when/if I'll get to it this year though..I can dream :P)

Thanks for the nod! The necklace was the item that inspired the purse that DRG offers as a free download, that was in Crochet! mag. PM me if you would like the link, or you can follow the links on my website in my sig line! :hook

I guess they try to have something for everyone. I would never make the shrug though my 37 yr old DD would love it if I did! I don't like using that type yarn. Some of the fancy yarns but not that particular kind. The cloche was fine, I thought, though not my color. But as they say on House Hunters, that's an easy fix! lol

I did like the Ocean Waves baby blanket and the Beach House afghan, but there wasn't a lot I liked in that particular issue.

Oh, a little addition here. I got the e-mag and was very happy with the better price as well as back issues because I missed a lot of those.

This was my first issue of CW mag, and I loved it. I just completed the dress from the nautical set. Aside from one little error in the pattern, it came out great! I am making the dino hoodie for my grandson-in blue so he can be a monster. That casserole carrier would switch off easily into a poinsettia if you changed colors. Great at Christmas potlucks, right?

Even that furry shrug has potential. I might not make it in the recommended yarn, but I'll bet it would be gorgeous made up in ribbon yarns. Fun for over a tank top or sundress for a teen.

I can't wait to get my digital subscription. I'm going to need a whole filing cabinet just for patterns!

Ninn, I love your idea of turning the casserole cover into Poinsettias.

And you know, looking at it again last night, that hat isn't bad...I bet my niece would like it...in a different color LOL I guess hot-pink and orange are trendy together...tropical maybe? funfur doesn't strike me as tropical :lol but again, Ninn, I bet in a ribbon yarn that would be cute. (not for me, I don't like shrugs for myself) Maybe it was the shock of the two patterns together that threw me. :P

I think I can resize or reinvent that nautical dress to fit DD...if I ever get caught up. And I definitely have to make that dino hoodie for a nephew or two. :D ETA, with a few "small people" that sandcastle will become a fantastic play-house...I can see DD having a blast with princesses in there.

I thought the casserole carrier was cute, but I never carry casseroles anywhere, so I don't think I need it.

The shrug was awful. I would not wear it, nor would my 21-year-old daughter. I think the ensemble of the shrug and the cloche looks utterly ridiculous. That being said, I hate most shrugs period. Just don't get the whole idea of a sweater or shirt that looks too small on a person.

I did think the pirate afghan was cool. My daughter is a sailor, so I might try making that at some point in the future. The ocean waves blanket is nice. I would enlarge it a bit, as I don't have any babies to crochet for. I really liked the beach house afghan. It was very bright and airy.

I get my issues online too. I really like that because you get the last two years in issue too! Plus I don't have a ton of magazines laying around. Ok...I already have a bunch of magazines lying around, but I won't have more. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I got my very first copy of Crochet World in the mail last week, and let me say, I'm a big big Pirates of the Caribbean fan. I absolutely love the movies and collect as much Pirates of the Caribbean stuff as possible. So with my first copy of Crochet World, I get a Pirate's Life Afghan! :woo Needless to say I will be making this afhan!

Archived