The April Charity Square Along this weekend -with hats

darski

Just a little notice ahead of time so we can get our yarn and hooks together for this month's charity square along.

I have to admit that I did a little test drive for my granny squares for the continuous join afghan. I am going to be working with green squares and white trim/join. I am looking forward to making this one. All I need for a pretty look is a 4 round granny square so I am in like Flint.

Just a reminder that any size square is welcome. I would also like to count some baby and preemie hats if anyone would like to make some of those for the count.

I was planning on running this from Thursday 16th through Monday 20th... if that works for y'all. I am not sure how the dates are picked so those are the ones I chose :rofl

Let's see what we can get done on this one.

... off to weave in those ends on my 2 advance squares. :blush

:hook:hook:hook:hook:hook:hook:hook:hook

Be there and be square!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well I think we did a pretty good job on this event.

I am only posting general totals as I am not great at visual clutter (i.e. lots of sizes of lots of squares :blush:sigh )

We made 21 hats from tiny preemie up to adult sizes. :yay

We made 103 squares that range from saltines up to a 9" of 12" square :wlol

We have 3 baby sweaters made (or the hexes made to make them)

And we got 2 ghans completed from previous efforts.

I really like this idea of including any charity crochet. Next time I host I will allow anything that is made or finished for charitable giving.

This place is just the best. We have more loving :bheart per capita than any other place on earth. :ghug

thank you to all who participated

If I miss your name, please let me know so I can include it

Foster mom

Scoobydoo - contributed the largest number of squares/hats (41/1)

hseger

stitch in time

KellyA

Busy Bee limit

darski

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darski, Thanks for hosting this months round. :hugI look forward to these every month :hook

I have some free time this weekend and am looking to assemble a few this go round:crocheting

I'm in, too. I haven't made any preemie hats in a while, so maybe that's what I'll do this time. I'll have to see if I can find or remember my pattern. Thanks for getting us organized, Darski.:hook

Welcome aboard all. This is going to be an excellent adventure for all of us.

And thank you for your kind wishes. Truth isI forgot all about the birthday and was only thinking of this CAL. Once you get to 60 you only have to do birthdays every other year - yeah that's a law here in Canada...

Yah buying that :?

:rofl

And thank you for your kind wishes. Truth isI forgot all about the birthday and was only thinking of this CAL. Once you get to 60 you only have to do birthdays every other year - yeah that's a law here in Canada...

Yah buying that :?

:rofl

NOPE!!!! No Way, No How!!!

That said, Happy Birthday!!!!! Hope it's a wonderful day!

Well I'm off to a bit of a slow start today... I needed a nap this aft or I was doing nothing... no how :spin

I have 6 squares ready to be continuously joined and I am just wondering what size blanket to make. I was thinking this would be a baby blankie but by using a 6 mm hook the spaces are um .. notable.

Well we shall see what we shall see. I can make the decisions as I see where it all goes.

The good news is that all my ends are done ... so far. :yay

I'd love to join in. Do the squares get sent somewhere special? Why have I not seen this CAL before? LOL Hmmmmm. Please let me know the specifics so I can play along.

Thanks

I'd love to join in. Do the squares get sent somewhere special? Why have I not seen this CAL before? LOL Hmmmmm. Please let me know the specifics so I can play along.

Thanks

The squares can be sent anywhere that you like. If you want to join in but need to find a source first, you can look in the crochet for Charity forum. You will find people there who are looking for squares and you can then pick your size base on where they will go.

If you look in that direction :cat ... making 12" squares and adding a couple of rows of trim colour will get you a great snugglie to donate to your local humane society. I have done this with several test drives I made to see if I liked a square or not. They help to make life a little softer for the kitties and such. The only thing is to pick squares that are not really open. They need a fairly solid effect for lining cages.

I generally make enough squares to make a lapghan which I then donate to our local charity group or I give it to my cousin who has senior patients who like something pretty and warm.

If you want to do baby hats, you can usually send them to your local newborn nursery or NICU

Thanks darski for the info. I belong to Crafting For a Cause so I have places to send, I just wasnt sure if that was ok or if they went somewhere special.

I also belong to a Kitty Rescue so thats a great idea for the squares! I usually do beds, sweaters but never thought of a simple square snuggle. Thanks for that tip.

I look forward to joining you.

I'm started, but it's going very slowly. I have never used double pointed needles before, but decided to try them making some preemie hats. I'm not sure if the problem is that I've never used them before and they take some getting used to, or the size of the hat I'm making this time around (only 30 stitches around), or both. But I've got it about half done and it's getting easier. The tiny ones are so very small!

I'm started, but it's going very slowly. I have never used double pointed needles before, but decided to try them making some preemie hats. I'm not sure if the problem is that I've never used them before and they take some getting used to, or the size of the hat I'm making this time around (only 30 stitches around), or both. But I've got it about half done and it's getting easier. The tiny ones are so very small!

Gee how can you have a hard time knitting with a porcupine :?:rofl I am so bad at dpns but I do keep trying.

My squares are going lickity split it seems. I have 10 of (likely) 30 made and the ends are woven in already. :woo

I could actually attempt to put my two rows together at this point :think

:woo Oh yeah... doing the happy dance:cheer:cheer:cheer

My two rows are joined and I am really loving this continuous join method. :c9

For next month, I plan to try it with this square but only up to the 8th round. I am interested in trying this with a join every other stitch along the edges... just curious is all :scrachin

:woo Oh yeah... doing the happy dance:cheer:cheer:cheer

My two rows are joined and I am really loving this continuous join method. :c9

For next month, I plan to try it with this square but only up to the 8th round. I am interested in trying this with a join every other stitch along the edges... just curious is all :scrachin

Continuous join rocks doesnt it? Learning that has made me love squares where I used to avoid them! Congrats to you!

If it started today then I guess I'm in. :D I just happened to have made 5 squares today. It will probably be all I can get since we're going out of town this weekend but at least it's 5 to add to the count. :)

3 5.5in squares

2 7 in squares.

Continuous join rocks doesn't it? Learning that has made me love squares where I used to avoid them! Congrats to you!

You are so right on this. I love it.

I was a bit nervous but Beth's videos were so clear that I just did it :wlol

Well... I only got 1 square today :sigh

But we did have a fun day... my 12 y/o daughter was in her school's "green & blue review" talent show. It was very cute! She and 4 friends made up a dance to "Gonna Make You Sweat". I chuckled at the song choice, because it was popular when DH and I were dating.

...OOPS! I was rambling :rofl

Darski-

do you have a link for the continuous join method? I would like to try it! :hug

Archived