3rd Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas - THANK YOU NOTE POST 356

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I"m out to search for patterns!!

(any ideas on yarn for the babies? I don't know any babies to even have a close idea, my specialiy is geriatirics, the other end of life's spectrum)

I"m out to search for patterns!!

(any ideas on yarn for the babies? I don't know any babies to even have a close idea, my specialiy is geriatirics, the other end of life's spectrum)

I just use Red heart or Homespun. Sometimes if I have baby yarn around I use that too.

Oops.... I didn't even see the question on yarn! Just saw you were in!!! Yeah, anythign is going to be fine... Redheart, Homespun whatever you like working with. Any baby yarn..

Pretty much whatever you'd use for the elderly will work here.. there are many similar issues.. it needs to be durable.. their skin can be sensitive.. etc.

Here are the two lovely preemie ghans that HockeyMomCrochet's sent me in December last year. These are the ghans that kick-started this year's drive and they are lovely. I had a hard time taking a picture, because my DS saw them and wanted to cuddle them!

056.jpg

Oh I would love to make the ones in the photo above! (If anyone has any patterns for small blankets that they are willing to share, please PM me as I'd love to try something different. Thanks.)

I do premie blankets throughout the year that I send to the hospital that helps my sister with her high risk pregnancies. She lost a baby at around 21 weeks a couple years ago and it was an incredibly difficult time (as I know many of you understand first hand). This became my way not only of coping with the sadness of it all, but of offering comfort to someone and expressing my hope for all of these little angels to be born and survive. Anyway, we are thrilled that my sister is now pregnant and due in October!!! And I would love to make some blankets for you, too! I have one started now and should have a few done for you in the upcoming weeks. Please PM me your information, unless you prefer to wait until I have them all ready to go.

Also, to address the yarn question, I use just about any sport weight yarn. I prefer to use the softer ones, like Bernat Softee Baby (which is what I use most).

Thank you for posting this topic. It's very close to my heart, even though I do not have any children of my own.

Just letting you all know that I will be out of town tomorrow and won't return till Saturday evening. If anyone needs me, I'll get back to you then. I will probably be online for a little while longer today, but then I'll see you all on Sat/Sun.

I knitted a preemie blanket but I'm not sure it will be good. It's that baby yarn with the sparkly stuff in it and isn't super soft. I was thinking of giving it to my niece for a babydoll blanket and making one that is softer.

deb

Hi Kathyrn! I just put 4 blankies in the mail to you. (I don't think I mentioned that I do the small ones.) I sent them via post office priority mail, so you should have them in a few days. Just wanted to say thank you, too, for your well wishes for my sister. It means a lot. I will most certainly send you more at a later date ~ but with my sister AND my brother BOTH expecting babies in the family, I'm going to be pretty busy for a while doing their baby blankets. ;)

Take care & I wish you success with your endeavors helping out Oakland's NICU!

I got a package yesterday from TCarra (Tracey). Inside, wrapped in a beautiful ribbon, were these 4 lovely preemie ghans. They are made with such soft yarn, and are so delicate and lovely. They are going to make 4 families and babies feel so loved!

post-2886-135897400571_thumb.jpg

Look at these wonderful blankets that arrived yesterday from Melody! The fleece is so soft and the edging is simply lovely. I got myself a skip-stitch blade and am determined to use it this year on blankets for the NICU. These that Melody sent certainly add to that desire!

They are going to be used and loved by babies and their families who are certainly going to appreciate them.

post-2886-135897401109_thumb.jpg

Love the fleece blankets with crochet edging - what is the name of the tool that is used to create the holes so you can crochet around the fleece?

BTW - I finished the first afghan - white, pink & mint green - working on a peach afghan - hoping to finish this week and get in the mail soon.

Wow, everyone is making such nice blankets. I have 3 ready to go that I will mail on Monday, and will keep working on more.

Debbie

Love the fleece blankets with crochet edging - what is the name of the tool that is used to create the holes so you can crochet around the fleece?

BTW - I finished the first afghan - white, pink & mint green - working on a peach afghan - hoping to finish this week and get in the mail soon.

Your afghans sound lovely!

Alot of people here use the Edgerydoo (she advertises on the 'ville). That has an awl and a template to punch through. I have bought the skip-stitch blade (it's on the project linus website, or on her own - google it) and that is a blade you attach to a rotary cutter.

Wow, everyone is making such nice blankets. I have 3 ready to go that I will mail on Monday, and will keep working on more.

Debbie

Can't wait to see them Debbie!

That's another thing that's so much fun about this project... obviously, it's wonderfuly gratifying to see how much work everyone is doing for these babies - but I also have so much fun seeing everyone's work. It's like a "show and tell" section of the 'Ville right in my spare room!

I would like to help. I discovered a finished preemie size blanket when I was sorting my WIPs and UFOs as part of darski's WIP Week CAL. I have a couple of projects to finish this week but I could get started on a couple to add to it next week. My MIL sent me several skeins of baby yarn and this would be a great opportunity to use some.

Please PM me an address to send them to.

Archived