3rd Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas - THANK YOU NOTE POST 356

Thank you Meegan!!!

I've been doing a couple of fleece blankets lately. They are going pretty fast.

I ordered the blade for the rotary cutter. Hope tp buy fllece inthe near future. Want to stash bust some more.

If I rememeber correctly, one yard of fleece will make 2 blankets?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ordered the blade for the rotary cutter. Hope tp buy fllece inthe near future. Want to stash bust some more.

If I rememeber correctly, one yard of fleece will make 2 blankets?

I buy 1 yd of 60 inch width fabric and I can get 2 blankets out of it. Cutting the fabric in half gives you two pieces of fabric that are 30 inches by 36. Then I add a boarder. I personally think it's a perfect size for the newborns. If I'm making them for an older child (I just made two for my kids - 5 and 2 1/2), I bought 1 1/4 yds and made one blanket out of it. For our purposes though, 1 yd should get you two blankets.

I ordered the Edgerydoo, and am using that as my guide with the skip-stitch blade. It gives a nice consistent curve on the end, which I wasnt' getting when I used a plate or cup or something else to do the curve.

How do you use them together? I thought the edgerydoo was used only to make the holes. How do you use it like a guide? Do you have an easy edge pattern you use? WW or baby yarn?

I ordered the Edgerydoo, and am using that as my guide with the skip-stitch blade. It gives a nice consistent curve on the end, which I wasnt' getting when I used a plate or cup or something else to do the curve.

How do you use them together? I thought the edgerydoo was used only to make the holes. How do you use it like a guide? Do you have an easy edge pattern you use? WW or baby yarn?

I use the rounded edge of the Edgerydoo to round the corners when I am cutting the fleece. I then use the skip-stitch to make the holes.

I use Ww yarn for an edging, and I"ve been playing around with what I do. The Edgerydoo website has lots of edging patterns. I've been doing mainly rows of DC, then a row of DC, ch1, skip next DC, DC in next. Then the last row is DC or HDC. I also have done some shell edgings.

Look at the lovely and soft ghans that Shelley sent today!:c9 There are two preemie ghans and a beautiful 6 pointed starghan. They are all going to be loved by a baby and treasured by their family!

post-2886-135897427703_thumb.jpg

Here are my most recent fleece. I've finally gotten an Edgerydoo, so now I"m able to make the corners on my fleece look really nice. I still do the holes with the skip-stitch and I"m really liking doing it this way.

I folded the blankets for the picture, or this post would be huge! :lol These are all newborn sized.

post-2886-135897429523_thumb.jpg

post-2886-135897429528_thumb.jpg

Kathryn:

Sending out some blankies to you this week! I am sentimental, so decided to keep my 19 year old daughter's first afghan ever for a keepsake (and maybe for a grandchild, someday). I made you plenty of others, so I hope you don't mind.

Deb

Kathryn:

Sending out some blankies to you this week! I am sentimental, so decided to keep my 19 year old daughter's first afghan ever for a keepsake (and maybe for a grandchild, someday). I made you plenty of others, so I hope you don't mind.

Deb

I'd do the same exact thing! I don't mind at all! Did you post a picture somewhere of her afghan? I'll let you know when yours arrive!

Melody820 sent these 5 preemie ghans. They are soft and cozy, and I love the patterns on the fleece. What comfort these will be to the family of a sick baby! They are folded in the picture so that I could get them all in at once.

post-2886-135897429683_thumb.jpg

Question: can I wash afghans together or will they get linty/pilly??

I want to wash before sending because I drag them all around with me while Im making them

Would it be best to wash in a free and clear detergent or does it matter?

Thanks

Question: can I wash afghans together or will they get linty/pilly??

Would it be best to wash in a free and clear detergent or does it matter?

Thanks

Washing them together should be fine. If you think the yarn is too fuzzy, I would put a pillow case in with them to help cut down on friction.

As far as detergent, if you have free and clear use it, but I don't think you need to go buy it.

Fruitloopjp, aka Jaime, sent these 5 lovely ghans. They are all lovely and the multi colored one is particularly soft :c9. I folded these all for the picture in order to fit them all in. They are certainly going to make babies and their famlies feel loved and cared for.

post-2886-135897431499_thumb.jpg

I love the color of the one on the upper right hand corner. I wish I knew what yarn and color it is. All the blankets are beautiful that people have sent.

Aren't they all lovely?

Hopefully Jaime will get on and will be able to answer the yarn question. I also want to know what yarn she used on the one on the left. It's fuzzy and thick and sooo soft.

I love the color of the one on the upper right hand corner. I wish I knew what yarn and color it is. All the blankets are beautiful that people have sent.

Aren't they all lovely?

Hopefully Jaime will get on and will be able to answer the yarn question. I also want to know what yarn she used on the one on the left. It's fuzzy and thick and sooo soft.

Hi Minderella and Kathryn! Thanks for the nice compliments on the blankets. Minderella the yarn is a Hobby Lobby brand called I love this yarn and the color name is pastels ombre.

Kathryn the fuzzy soft blanket is made from another Hobby Lobby brand and it's called yarn bee soft illusion super bulky yarn. The name on the label is 7 softly.

Hope the info. helps:)

Jamie

Archived