3rd Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas - THANK YOU NOTE POST 356

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy,

Been a while since I checked in but I just wanted to let you know that I have been working on the blankets between projects so I'll have some to send you soon. :-D

So, just out of curiousity, what's the blanket count so far? :-D

Julee

It MORE than covers the babies there on Christmas day. The NICU holds about 40 babies at a time - with babies coming and going every day. This will be enough for a few rotations of the nursery and hopefully will last them a month or two!

Oh awesome!! That's super cool to know!! It's so neat just to think about those little blessings being wrapped up in something that one of us created.

Julee

I feel the same way. As I crochet a ghan, or open a package from one of you, I think about Sister Berniece, the hospital chaplain, bringing the ghan to a scared family. I think about what the hospital experience was like for us and I just know that whoever receives the ghan will be so incredibly touched by it. Truly, it was knowing that churches with people who didn't know us were praying for him - or the card made by a school child - that brought me such strength.

200! That is awesome.

I am overwhelmed with everyone's generosity. This is truly an amazing experience for me. I am greatful for all of you.:hug

In the last few days, 3 boxes have arrived with lots of wonderful goodies in them!

First up is Tris4Crochet's 8 ghans that she sent Lots of wonderful preemie sizes - wonderful colors (I particularly like the preemie purple and lavender combination) and lots of love to go along with it!

Then, we have a preemie ghan and hat from Jessicagil. Perfect for a small little boy - the colors are wonderful!

Then, 7 ghans from Moosetracks03 - the 3 fleece ghans have that lovely cut edging to them. There is a ghan for every sized baby here!

These 3 boxes now bring our total up to 191 - I wonder if we'll top 200!?:think:cheer

post-2886-135897469157_thumb.jpg

post-2886-135897469161_thumb.jpg

post-2886-135897469165_thumb.jpg

:cheer:clap:manyheart Just found you! I would love to contribute. Will break out yarn and hooks tonight and get to work. Will make as many as possible this month so you can have them by 12/3. Just let me know where to send them.

Julee: I started on two so far. They are pretty tiny -- like the size to cover a realistic baby doll. Is that ok? Do you need larger ones? Should they be acrylic for ease in washing and to guard against allergies? Or can they be angora, wool, alpaca (I have all these fibers available). Sorry to ask so many questions.

I need all sizes. The NICU holds babies from extreme preemie to children 12 months old. Anything done for an extreme preemie should be light weight as the babies are so small they can't take much weight.

Larger sizes can be used for the bigger children or for the preemies who don't ever make it home. Those babies are wrapped in a blanket while their parent's hold them as they pass on - so they would need to be large enough to wrap around an infant. Thankfully, most of the children there DO go home.

Any size you feel compelled to make is going to go to good use. The NICU takes care of many many babies over the course of a year. I tend to make mostly ghans that are at least 30 inches across - just because I figure that it can be used by a larger baby - or by the preemie who needs to be wrapped up while their parents hold them. But, please make whatever you would like - I know that there is a baby waiting for exactly the ghan you are making.

As far as fiber goes... I personally use things that are able to be washed easily - but, if what you have is angora, etc... there will be a baby in the hospital who DOESN'T have allergies and can use it.

While I hate to not provide much direction - truly with the amount of children that the hospital sees it is mathamatically impossible for ANY ghan not to be needed, loved and find a child who absolutely can use it and will treasure it.

The NICU holds 40 babies at once. Some spend many many months there - others only a few days - there is NEVER an empty bed. While we were there, I saw babies leave in the morning and within moments of their departure the nursing staff was ready-ing the area for the next baby who would be landing by helicopter in only a few hours.

Truly - whatever size, whatever pattern, whatever fiber you use - there is a baby who will use and love it.

This wonderful package arrived from Christina (ChrisKad) today. The two quilts are so lovely- they are the same pattern with a slight variation on the colors on the front. I placed them so that one is face up and the other face down so that you can see the pattern on both sides. Christina said she is new to quilting - it looks like she has quite a talent for it!

The granny square is so soft and pretty - and the darling little hat is a donation from Christina's friend. Look at the little ear flaps!

post-2886-135897471567_thumb.jpg

I finally finished one! I'd been doing some Halloween crochet as my DD had commented that we needed some.. and I really wasn't into it. It took all my inspiration with it. Now that I"m done with Halloween crochet, I got back to a RR for the NICU. I just finished this one and it reminds me of a candy cane.

post-2886-135897471583_thumb.jpg

Today is my DS's birthday. At both of my kids' birthdays I get very reflective about the acutal day they were born... with Nathan, I think alot about his ordeal and the hospital. I remember all the kindnesses shown to us and how much strength I drew from that in the face of overwhelming fear.

Today, that makes me think of all of you and how your generosity will be the difference for some family between utter dispair and hope. I hope you all know what a wonderful thing you are doing.

Thank you so much!

I finally finished one! I'd been doing some Halloween crochet as my DD had commented that we needed some.. and I really wasn't into it. It took all my inspiration with it. Now that I"m done with Halloween crochet, I got back to a RR for the NICU. I just finished this one and it reminds me of a candy cane.

That is a gorgeous RR and how perfect for Christmas for some sweet baby. :cheer

I must remember red and white together for a RR in the future.

Today is my DS's birthday. At both of my kids' birthdays I get very reflective about the acutal day they were born... with Nathan, I think alot about his ordeal and the hospital. I remember all the kindnesses shown to us and how much strength I drew from that in the face of overwhelming fear.

Today, that makes me think of all of you and how your generosity will be the difference for some family between utter dispair and hope. I hope you all know what a wonderful thing you are doing.

Thank you so much!

:birthday to your DS. I don't know about the others, but for me, making these little blankies is a way to give back. I have been blessed with a wonderful life (finally), two healthy boys a beautiful stepdtr and a lovely DIL. I spent most of last fall, winter and this spring in hospitals and know firsthand what cold, impersonal places they can be. Any comfort or hominess I can provide to others just pays back a little of what I've received.

This must be providential! I just finished an afghan and had a bunch of skeins left over. I tried to return them to Michael's today, but the colors are discontinued so they wouldn't give me credit for them. They are two shades of pink in a light wool/acrylic blend - very soft and warm. So, I think I'll be making some baby blankets!

Kathryn, would you PM me your address? I know it's close to the deadline, but I should be able to get at least a couple done.

-Sharon

Archived