3rd Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas - THANK YOU NOTE POST 356

Darlene (Needle Arts) sent this lovely box of goodies for the babies. Ten preemie ghans - all so soft. I've never seen a six sided ghan before - I really love the pattern.

Darlene, can I please have a copy of the pattern you used? Is it simple to do? I usually make RRs/

Thanks

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still have one to send you. Money has been a bit tight to send blankets along. Hopefully in a few months. I know it will be by the delivery date.

Thank you Jessica! I'm not planning on going till November - and probably not until the week after Thanksgiving. Lots of time left still!

What's the smallest size blanket you could use? I might be able to throw some smaller ones together pretty quickly.

Julee

Oh, Thank you!

Preemie afghans are usually very small... 14 inches - give or take would work just fine for the smallest babies (picture a chunky Barbie doll - that's about the size you would be covering for the smallest babies). Anything 22 inches or so is going to work to wrap completely around a preemie as their parents hold them one last time.

Anything larger than that will work wonderfully for a newborn.

Are small round ripples ok? I could woop up some of those pretty quickly.

What are some of the required things for a preemie ghan?

Thanks

Julee

Anything is wonderful! seriously anything. The NICU holds 40 babies at once. Babies go home everyday, and the bed is filled within hours of their leaving. There is certain to be a baby who can use and love the ghan you make.

For preemie ghans - figure that the smallest babies will be on more monitors, so the more holes a ghan has, the easier it is to get the wires caught in the ghan. Something more solid works well - that's part of the reason I do so many RRs (plus, I just love them).

Other requirements for a preemie ghan - consider the weight of the yarn you are using - especially if you are making a ghan for one of the extremely small babies. Some of these babies are under a pound, so heavy yarns might be more weight than they can support.

Ghans can really be any size - ghans for preemies that will lay over them can be the smallest... ghans to wrap a preemie for the last time before they pass away will be larger. Ghans for newborns - larger still. etc.

Simply soft is great!

Ghans can't be too small - or too large. The smallest babies are ones born at about 24 weeks gestation -seriously, they are the length of Barbie dolls... and the NICU is used for babies up to a year old.

Another thing to remember: None of the babies, preemies or full term are doing much moving around (even healthy newborns don't really move much when they sleep) - the babies that are older and closer to a year old will move around a bit more. But, figure how you feel when you are sick... you just want to lay in bed. These babies are the sickest of the sick... they really just want to lay in their issolette and sleep. So, they don't need to be super wide.

I made a ghan for my cousin's newborn (who was born healthy) and I did a 40 inch square. While that size can certainly be used (especially by the older babies), for an ill newborn it's far more than they need. Not to mention that their isolette's arent that wide. I'm doing my newborn ghans for the NICU about 32-34 inches. That's certainly wide enough.

Thanks so much!!! I've just learned so much!! I might have to consolidate it down to a page and print it out so I can always have a reference guide.

Thanks again!!

Julee

No Julee, thank you for your help. All of you who have helped me in this project are such a blessing to me - and certainly to the families of these babies. As I"ve said before, it was the love and prayers of people that didn't even know us that gave me such strength when my DS was born.

Hey Debbie. No box yet. We just got home from a night at the circus. I checked mail before we left, and we either had nothing or the mailman was late. Our mail is one of those central lock boxes a few doors down from us. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

My folks only live about 50 miles from me - and sometimes it's taken a week for something they've mailed to get to me!

Started on a RR Preemie Blanket yesterday. I'm so thankful to Dawn. She sent me a whole bunch of yarn for preemie blankets.

Julee

Bless her! What a wonderful thing for her to do - and thank you again for your help!

Got the package from Deedees (Debbie) today. It made a stop at my neighbor's house, but finally found us. Inside, there were 9 lovely afghans. I've folded them so I could get them all in one photo. The stitches are all so pretty - and the yarn so very soft.

These will make families feel so cared for!

post-2886-135897442049_thumb.jpg

Howdy!

I have 3 already made for you. Working on a few for friends that are expecting then I will be back at it. If anyone wants to help you out but doesn't have the yarn, I'm happy to share. I have some Red Heart Mill Ends that are 3 strand instead of 4 which work great for baby blankets. Just holler at me if you need or if anyone else would like it to help you out.

Howdy!

I have 3 already made for you. Working on a few for friends that are expecting then I will be back at it. If anyone wants to help you out but doesn't have the yarn, I'm happy to share. I have some Red Heart Mill Ends that are 3 strand instead of 4 which work great for baby blankets. Just holler at me if you need or if anyone else would like it to help you out.

Thank you Tristi!

Archived