3rd Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas - THANK YOU NOTE POST 356

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to LYK that I mailed 2 boxes out to you . There will be about 6 all together. The shipping cost is kind of high, so I will mail them 2 at a time, evry two weeks.( pay day). I live in NYC so it cost nearly $12 for 7 day and $14 for priority rate.

Meegan! 6 boxes!:clap:eek:cheer

Thank you so much!!! How very generous of you - of all of you - to not just spend your time crocheting for the project, but also to spend the money on shipping. What wonderful people we have here!

I'll let you know as soon as they arrive!

I got one blanket done today (a RR measuring about 15.5+ inches across). I'm working on another one right now. I'll get a couple more done and get them out to you. Or maybe I'll just get enough done to fill up a flat rate box or something.

Julee

Just wanted to LYK that I mailed 2 boxes out to you . There will be about 6 all together. The shipping cost is kind of high, so I will mail them 2 at a time, evry two weeks.( pay day). I live in NYC so it cost nearly $12 for 7 day and $14 for priority rate.

Meegan,

Did you check FedEx ground or UPS ground? Priority used to be a great deal, comparable to a three day service, because up to five pounds was the same rate no matter the zone ( ie; you are zone 1 but to ship to CA we would be zone 8, the highest charge ). Now, anything over one pound is zoned.

In the long run if you could fit the blankets into one box it may be cheaper to go ground. It will take five business days to get here, but there is plenty of time. You can calculate the cost on either ups.com or fedex.com- just remember, if the box is TOO big they charge dimensional weight so try to stay under a size of 26x14x14. Keep the LxWxH under 5184 and the rate will be calculated by weight only. Might be worth checking into it-

So generous of you to donate so many blankets. :hug

When I send items to the West Coast or anywhere the other side of North Carolina, I use Flat Rate boxes. the regular/medium box is $10.35 and the larger box is $13.95. This works well for smaller baby blankets and you can push them into the box to get them to fit if you need to. I send preemie size blankets so I can get a lot into a box for one flat rate. There are several sizes of flat rate boxes. You should check at your post office and grab one of each and see what will work for you.

I thought perhaps trying some other carrier, Unfortunately, it would mean waiting for them to pick it up or standing endlessly on line somewhere. I went to UPS depot once (not a pretty scene:lol).

Also I have the boxes all sealed and addressed already.:eek

Meegan's (Mattsmom499) first two boxes arrived today. Look what was inside them! 10 afghans for the babies! I've folded them in half for the picture - but as you can see the majority are 6 and 12 point RR's. The color combinations are wonderful and Meegan did Junie's rope boarder on some.

These are going to make babies and their families feel so cared for!

post-2886-135897444812_thumb.jpg

Meegan's (Mattsmom499) first two boxes arrived today. Look what was inside them! 10 afghans for the babies! I've folded them in half for the picture - but as you can see the majority are 6 and 12 point RR's. The color combinations are wonderful and Meegan did Junie's rope boarder on some.

I am glad I can help! You helped keep me sane while I was recuping. If I didn't have your charity on my mind, those long hours in the recliner would have been torture. :crocheting I thought about how blessed I was. I had a high risk pregnancy but a healthy babay and the line from the bible about "when you do for the least of mine you do for me. "

Meegan

[ :crocheting I thought about how blessed I was. I had a high risk pregnancy but a healthy babay and the line from the bible about "when you do for the least of mine you do for me. "

Meegan

That's one of my favorite passages, and was my favorite hymn as a child... I often have it running through my head as I crochet for the babies! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share the two RR I crochet for the babies of NICU for Christmas. Here are the two that I am sending off to Kathryn next week.

A special thanks for Kathryn for her wonderful work for this very special cause. :hug

post-10977-135897450187_thumb.jpg

post-10977-135897450192_thumb.jpg

Look what arrived today! 8 more from Meegan (MattsMom) - who must have spent every moment of her broken ankle thinking about the babies - this package brings her total up to 18, and she hasn't even sent the all yet!

The colors here are so pretty - and the combinations will work well for boys and girls. There are some preemie and some full sized ghans.

As I unwrap each of the boxes I get from all of you, I imagine the babies that will receive them. I imagine some of them coming out of Santa's pack on Christmas day and are given to the babies who weren't able to be home that day. I imagine Sister Berneice (the hospital chaplain) giving them to a family who is so scared for their baby... and I imagine them thinking of you - the person they don't know, who took the time out to let them know that they aren't alone.

Thank you to each of you from the bottom of my heart. I'm greatful for you all.:hug

post-2886-135897450194_thumb.jpg

I got a surprise today. A package from Smith (Susan) - I didn't even know these were coming, but here they are! The picture doesn't accurately show the colors on the pentagon - the darker color is a purple verigated. There are two preemie ghans and one for a newborn that is oh so soft!:c9

Aren't they purty?!

post-2886-135897451923_thumb.jpg

Archived