Yarn Barrels!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hello all...

i've seen someone with a pattern for a thing similar to this... using large plastic bottles, cut off hte bottom, and crochet a drawstring bottom, so you insert the yarn thru the bottom, and then feed the end of the yarn thru the neck of the bottle.

my only complaint about these kinds of gadgets for yarn is.... you cant really take the project with you. as it doesnt fit down the neck of the bottle again. you kinda hafta carry the whole project, along w/ the bottle, and the yarn wherever you go. that can get bulky. :(

i still want to purchase a yarn ball winder.... :(

:tup:tup I saw some containers at the dollar store today. I should go get some and make a few. My cat like to mess with my yarn while I'm working on a project. This will help keep him out of it.

• 4 months later...

What a great way to make them! I will be making my own instead of buying another at $11 each. I learn so much from everyone here.

Thanks for the idea.

LInda:yay

• 1 year later...
I've been thinking the yarn barrels were a great thing too, but way out of my price range. I knew I could make a hole in a lid, but thought I would never get the edge smooth enough not to snag the yarn. You came up with the perfect solution and I'm off to the store!

This is my response exactly - the plastic grommets idea is PERFECT! I have some Mr. Peanut plastic tubs (short and squat) that I think I will use, plus some others laying around. What size drill bit did you use? What size grommet? This is AWESOME!

I couldn't find grommets at Wal-Mart. Where do they put them? My husband and I looked in several different department and he even asked a couple of people that work there. They didn't know what a grommet is. LOL

Archived