Do you have a boundary of you crochet for?

Ok I was wondering does anybody have a boundary of who they crochet for excluding charities though I'm meaning people in general do you crochet only for family or do you do both family and friends

Both family and friends.

My DH has a small family (by choice), so he filled out the ranks with close friends. And those friends are now my friends. There are three of them that he is really close to, and I have crocheted stuff for all of them.

I'm still relatively new to crocheting, so I haven't made stuff for everyone, but I bet by this xmas I will have done something for everyone.

Last year I finally set these boundaries:

I will no longer make items for people I don't like, make items I don't like or work with yarn I don't like.

Now I enjoy my crochet a lot more and it just flows because I love what I am doing!

Normally, I crocheted for family, for I tend to adopt everyone I meet. But I am so swamped by requests for family, and things I just want to get done. Now as I bring my crochet with me everywhere; I am getting requests from others that challenge my knowledge, which has brought me here. I feel like my head is spinning off but still plugging onward and making progress

I crochet for friends and family, and the item has to be something I enjoy doing, with yarn I am comfortable using. I am not afraid to say no, which keeps me from being overwhelmed with items I feel obligated to do. Therefore if I am bogged down with too much to do I have no one to blame but myself. Charities are first, presents for special days and special folks second, and requests last. I don't take money for requests, this way if it doesn't work out, I don't owe anything to anyone, and I don't feel obligated to anything except for my word. It's not the person as much as my own peace of mind.

I make stuff for family/friends only for special occasions (new babies, kids b-day, Christmas, etc.). I take requests only from family, friends or co-workers I like. I tell them to buy the yarn or I charge for it. I don't take money until they see it, if they change their mind, it goes to charity. When they give me yarn, they don't usually change their mind.

Ellie 13

I will no longer make items for people I don't like, make items I don't like or work with yarn I don't like.

I couldn't have put it better myself :hook

I made 16 scarves for people I work with for Christmas. One girl (not one I made a scarf for) asked for hats and mittens for her 8 grandchildren. I said I didn't do hats or mittens. I wouldn't do them, anyway for her (as she is rude to everyone).

Mostly I do for family (4 scarves done for nephews, for Christmas 2009) or a few friends

I only crochet for people in my family & only family members that will appreciate something handmade. For instance my brother he is 14 requested an afghan made by me. So I made sure he got one on Christmas 2008. He had requested it several months before Christmas 2008. He loved the afghan I made him. His afghan is the only afghan I have ever finished that I started. I just hate making afghans.

Since I have family that is turning against me I am only going to crochet for my aunt, my step mom, brother & my husband. Oh & my dog & 2 cats! My cats love their cat toys I make them.

Now I enjoy my crochet a lot more and it just flows because I love what I am doing!

:clap This was stated so well! After awhile you just have to takecare of yourself and the rest falls into place. In the end you enjoy crocheting more.

Archived