Favorite Tips?

I'd love to hear your favorite tips about anything dealing with crochet, whether it be methods to join squares, attaching new yarn, turning at end of row - you name it. Spill your guts!

I'm going to make a blog post with nothing but tips and tricks and need things to fill it up. If you've got your 'tip' listed on a blog please give me the link and I'll link directly there. If you have a favorite website that lists tips, I'll add that too. More exposure for everyone!

If you just have it in your head and want to type it out here, that's fine too. I may write it up and put it on a page that I can link to, but will obviously still give you credit.

Ok, fill me up here ...

Let's see...my tips...

1) Pace yourself. DO NOT crochet for hours on end, or you'll end up with tendonitis and/or carpel tunnel trouble. I find I need to take frequent breaks. If you have pain at ALL, STOP.

2) If you're crocheting something that has multiple motifs or squares, join them together as you go along. At the very least, join together strips. This way, you won't be faced with 63-odd squares to sew together at the end. The first (and last) time I made the mistake of doing this, I ended up sewing squares together for a WEEK. :eek

3) When following a pattern, a) look online for any errata/corrections for it, and b) read it through thoroughly, to make sure that it sounds like it makes sense.

This is a great idea and will make a great blog post! Maybe I will do something similar for my blog!

Heres's my tips for you to add:

If you have trouble understand a pattern, no worries or fuss, just ask people who can help (such as the wonderful people on crochetville hehe)

Make sure you check your gauge if you really want your project to have the proper dimensions, but if you don't care, them more power to you.

Be creative, don't just follow patterns made by others, half the fun of crocheting is trying something on your own, even if it doesn't turn out right.

Use a pitcher with a lid to keep your yarn clean. Just thread the yarn through the opening, and put the lid on. Keeps it clean. Is great for taking yarn to the beach!

:manyheart

I guess what I'm trying to do is come up with one big blog with links to other good info/sites, sort of a 'one stop shop' on my blog entry.

How about listing your favorite pattern sites and that sort of thing too?

Great idea! thanks a bunch :)

Let's see...my tips...

1) Pace yourself. DO NOT crochet for hours on end, or you'll end up with tendonitis and/or carpel tunnel trouble. I find I need to take frequent breaks. If you have pain at ALL, STOP.

2) If you're crocheting something that has multiple motifs or squares, join them together as you go along. At the very least, join together strips. This way, you won't be faced with 63-odd squares to sew together at the end. The first (and last) time I made the mistake of doing this, I ended up sewing squares together for a WEEK. :eek

3) When following a pattern, a) look online for any errata/corrections for it, and b) read it through thoroughly, to make sure that it sounds like it makes sense.

well I have no tips but I like that number 1 tip because dumb me does crochet for hours and now my tendonitis is kicking in yikes

Yes, I learned this the hard way...I've had recurring tendonitis since I was 18, but didn't realize that yarnwork could aggravate it. I had to go THREE WEEKS without crocheting one time (doctor's orders). I was climbing the walls! After that, I began pacing myself, and not going too long crocheting without breaks. I usually do 15 minutes on, 15 minutes rest, etc.

Crochet outside when you can. Just get a nice lawn chair, find a nice place under a tree, and crochet away. The natural light is so good to crochet with.

I can't wait until I can sit outside and crochet again. It's been a tough winter.

Also, copy your pattern and place it in a plastic cover to keep it clean. Use post-it notes to keep your place.

When getting bored with a large project, start a small project to get back on track. I usually do a hat when I get bored on an afghan.

I hope these tips help.

Stitch markers (or safetly pins) can be a great help. I use them to mark every 10 chains when crocheting a long starting chain. At the end of most rows, it says ch 2 (or 3 or 4 etc) and turn, and this turning chain will count as the 1st stitch on the row above. I always put a stitch marker in the last chain marking exactly where to put my crochet hook on the subsequent row, especially if the wool is fluffy or splits easily (e.g Homespun) and it is difficult to identify the turning chain.

Edgehill

Edgehill

My favorite tip...

Make sure you put your crocheting away in a safe place AWAY from the CATS when you aren't working on it or they will FROG it for you --- ALL over the HOUSE! :yes

ALL over the HOUSE is an understatement! :eek:eek:eek Esp. if the dogs get involved, too.

One of my favorite things to do is to do a small swatch of patterns I'm really interested in, or a sample square of square patterns, and put it in a sheet protector with the pattern. That way, when I'm searching for something, I have an actual "sample" rather than just a photo to go by.

My favorite tip...

Make sure you put your crocheting away in a safe place AWAY from the CATS when you aren't working on it or they will FROG it for you --- ALL over the HOUSE! :yes

I learned this the hard way!! My cousin had asked me to be her child's godmother towards the end of her pregnancy, and I was rushing like no other to get a baby quilt done for her. I wanted her to have it to bring the baby home in from the hospital. Stupidly I left it sitting out on my couch, and when I came back, my cat had ripped it to shreds. Yay kittens. I camethisclose to putting her on the corner in a box marked "FREE."

In the end, it worked out though, because I found better fabric and my second one turned out waaay better than the first. But still. Cats+Crafts=Not Good!!

Yea... the tendonitis tip.... I am kind of hurting now. hands and arms. But I have the scarf almost done! I would hate to have a doctor take me off the crocheting. I have tendonitis in my shoulder that flares up now and then, it's been prett good lately. But I was in a christmas rush one year and my shoulder paid dearly, but I wouldn't stop. Took a while to heal up. I got a note book to keep my printed off the computer patterns in and placed them in plastic covers. That's my tip. Doesn't stop me form having piles of patterns every where though. It helped for awhile, when I was working on more than one project. I have a pencil holder baggie thing for my crochet hooks, it was a cheap way to go for containment. You could put that in your binder even.

My favorite tip...

To true!!! My trouble maker is sitting on my lap right now and frogging as I crochet :rofl If you want more laughs (or tears) check out his yarn art.

Ignore my messy house it was after christmas and after a weekend at my DD's in Beaumont.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ctawq1/YarnArt

Archived