Are Cowls the latest thing??

I have noticed a large number of cowls lately on the web. There is often one on the front of etsy - eithor knitted or crocheted. Ravelly also has them by the truckload. Are they the current big thing in the Northern Hemishere this winter?

Just curious as we are a season (and 10 years ;)) behind the rest of the world! I am familiar with collars, but this cowl craze is a new phenomena for me.

The ones I have seen also seem oversized, in fact huge so I cant imagine they are any easier than a scarf to make or carry around.

Has any one ever worn or made one of these and are they comfy?

Any "cowl" experts out there? And I reckon the word "cowl" is a funny one - a cross between a cow and an owl. :lol

Cowls were very in about 20 years ago when I was in school, but we called them snoods! :lol I think that is a cross between scarf and hood!

Anyway I think they are back in a big way because I have saw quite a few people wearing them. They don't have to be over-sized and I think the good thing is you can pull it over your head so it saves having a hat and a scarf. I have bought some three-ply wool to make one on the crochet me site called 'baby it's cowled outside' it looks really pretty and feminine. Haven't started it yet tho :blush

cowl necked sweaters were big here in the past maybe 20 years ago. i didnt like them the first time around and still dont. I have short neck and any type of large collar like a turtleneck or cowlnecked sweater just drives me nuts.

I made the baby its cowled outside pattern and really liked it. However it is sitting a a tub of completed objects that I have no use for.. My neck is nonexistant, I am very heavy. No one wanted it so it just lays around. I love the cowls tho.

I plan on making one for next winter. I'm petite so 6' of bulky scarf is too much for me. It only gets really cold up here for about two weeks so I plan on making it kind of light and not too big so I can just wear it around my neck indoors and not have to worry about it.

cowl necked sweaters were big here in the past maybe 20 years ago. i didnt like them the first time around and still dont. I have short neck and any type of large collar like a turtleneck or cowlnecked sweater just drives me nuts.

I don't like them either, but I don't like anything on my neck, always cut off collars of T's and sweats, don't wear necklaces, and slouch my seaters and coats so they are off the back of my neck.

Cowls were very in about 20 years ago when I was in school, but we called them snoods! :lol I think that is a cross between scarf and hood!

You are right...

We used the name snood for net like thingees that held our hair back off our faces. In medeival times it was a circular one piece thing that draped around the face and neck to hide wrinkles and turkey wattles from showing, as well as falling low enough in the front to hide any decolatage (sp?) from peeking out of the gowns. This was adopted from the habit worn by nuns.

I have noticed a large number of cowls lately on the web. There is often one on the front of etsy - eithor knitted or crocheted. Ravelly also has them by the truckload. Are they the current big thing in the Northern Hemishere this winter?

Any "cowl" experts out there? And I reckon the word "cowl" is a funny one - a cross between a cow and an owl. :lol

:lolI like that... however dictionaries have these descriptions (just some trivia)

The cowl (from the Latin, cuculla meaning "hood") is a hood worn by members of religious orders. It also refers to a long, hooded cloak, with wide sleeves, worn by some Catholic and Orthodox monks when participating in the liturgy. Developed in the Middle Ages

hood for chimney: a hood-shaped, sometimes revolving, cover fitted to a chimney or vent to improve ventilation and provide spark protection…

also part of vehicle body: the part of the body of an automobile to which the windshield, hood, and dashboard are attached

In medeival times it was a circular one piece thing that draped around the face and neck to hide wrinkles and turkey wattles from showing,

Hey now, there's a good idea! I wonder if we could start a trend for a garment to hide those wrinkles and sags?:lol

I think I need a whole of body "cowl " then. I did look up the dictionary definition which said they were related tp monks and monistory. All very Interesting !

We used the name snood for net like thingees that held our hair back off our faces. In medeival times it was a circular one piece thing that draped around the face and neck to hide wrinkles and turkey wattles from showing...

Wow, that's really interesting Carol, I had no idea.

I'm in my early 40's so I well remember the snood-as-scarf-hat from 20 years ago. I hadn't even realised today's "cowl" is the same thing, so I've enjoyed this thread.

I love the "new" cowls.....I know this(warning....pdf file) is knit, but I just finished a cream colored one and have a red on on the needles. I like them because I can just pull it over my head and put my coat on....no ends to tie or get in the way.

Well maybe I shouldn't admit this here but my February 'scarf' is going to be a heart themed cowl. I also do not have a neck for wearing these but I really love the look for those who have such beautiful swan necks.

I am planning to make this shorter - more of a neck warmer than a cowl.

I think perhaps the living quality of language is happening to this word. It is starting to mean a circular neck covering rather than the full hood.

Thanks for all the interesting discussion. I am pleased I started this thread. I would never wear one that pulls over the head because

a) it never gets that cold here,

b) I would get "cowl" hair pulling the thing off an on and,

c) I too lack a neck, ( and a waist and a few inches in height)

I remember the snoods. They made a comeback in the 70s?? I think. In my opinion snoods are very elegant.

I also remember when I was a kid and did ballet my Nana would crochet me these pretty little bun covers to hold my hair in place. They were made in pink thread in a mesh sort of pattern with some elastic worked into the last round. I had completely forgot about them till now.

I live in NC and cowl neck sweaters are a really big thing here this winter. All the stores around me are selling them and alot of people are wearing them. They are especially popular in those "teen" stores here in the malls.

Debby

Archived