If someone were to crochet or knit something for your baby

what is your favorite gift to give/receive for a baby  

350 members have voted

1. 1. what is your favorite gift to give/receive for a baby

• blanket
    • layette
    • toys
    • Other, let me tell you what I think!

I have only given blankets or bunting. Had to explain to one new mom how to use a bunting. :) Then she thought it was great. Some great ideas here for other gifts. Thanks.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say blankets, but larger sized ones. When my first was born, we ended up with 37 blankets for him. Most were store-bought and the smaller receiving-blanket size, which he outgrew quickly. I saved the few handmade ones but never really used them. I wish at least one would have been made larger--more like something that would fit a toddler bed as I would definitely use it now. It's hard to find blankets for a toddler bed, and the ones that are the right size are usually cheap and have some obnoxious character on them. Hmmmm....maybe that's my next project...a toddler bed blanket!

If it's someone I know (& care more about, is that bad?) I do a crib size blanket, so the child can use as it gets older. If it's just an acquaintance bibs. Maybe some booties for both (I just figured out how to make those). I have some sweater patterns I really want to try, but I was given a sweater set when my 20 yr old was born; she was only 6 lbs, but the set was small & she only wore it once. I want something that can be used a while.

Off of the subject, have any of you ever had a handmade gift (baby or otherwise) thrown back at you? About 2 years ago my hubby's cousin had her baby shower and I had made a crocheted baby blanket, car seat blanket (with the slit for the belts), a set of 7 matching bib and bootie sets, and 7 baby washcloths. During the shower as she was opening gifts she got to ours and her smile disappeared and she angrily THREW the box at me and screamed "We do NOT accept homemade CRAP! Not for MY baby!!" All of this was in front of all of the other guests (about 30 people) and I thought I would just sink into the floor! At the same time I was REALLY angry about it and told her that if she can't appreciate handmade items then I would gladly take them back and find someone who would. I got the gift, my keys, said goodbye to a few friends and left. She hasn't spoken to me since and has spread many rumors in the family that "I'm too cheap to buy anything". Other family members (hubby's side of the family) have tried to apologize to me for it, but it isn't their responsibility to do so.

OMG! OMG! OMG! I'm sure everyone there was appalled by her actions! I am so glad you were able to keep it together, & respond the way you did. I can never think of the right words at the time; your's were perfect.

LOL mclendon1, thank you....I think :lol. I wasn't actually "thinking", that's just what came out of my mouth on autopilot. I'm actually surprised it wasn't a bit more "colorful" than that!!!!;) I know I was thinking it on the way home!!!!!:angry

I usually give blankets but have recently started crocheting more toys (thanking 3 and 4 year old granddaughters for this) so I have found the new Mom's really enjoy getting the toys also.

KathyWho

When I start a family I plan to make a lot of things for my baby: blankets, booties, and hats, especially. My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting married and starting a family in the not-too-distant future - when I find out I'm pregnant I plan on telling him by presenting him with a pair of handmade booties.

That is such a cool idea!!!:yes That would be a perfect and unique way to make the announcement! I bought a Father's Day card a few years ago and am holding it in a secret place in hopes that one of these days my hubby and I will have a family. We've been trying for 4 years! If the day ever comes I am going to sign the card "Love, Baby" and put it where he will find it 1st thing in the morning. But really I like your idea better.

When I start a family I plan to make a lot of things for my baby: blankets, booties, and hats, especially. My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting married and starting a family in the not-too-distant future - when I find out I'm pregnant I plan on telling him by presenting him with a pair of handmade booties.

My husband and I told his parents in this way for our little girl. (His live in town, mine don't.) The little green booties I made are still sitting in a place of honor....and Clare is now 15 months old!

I would love to give my grandson bright colors however my DIL is all about creams, tans and browns and I don't want to upset her and my son. You are so lucky. Sigh...

Emtpixie, I like your card idea a lot, too. That's something I would probably use to tell my parents - get a grandparent's day card and mail it to them or something.

Jessica, that's awesome that the booties you made are still being displayed this much later!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't have any children, but I voted for blanket. I love making them and they seem to be well-received. I've made them for both my sister's and brother's children and I continue to make premie-blankets for NICU's. In fact, I made a baby blanket just because I loved the yarn color and when my best friend's son saw it he hugged it. So of course I gave it to him. :c9

I think you can never have enough blankets. You have to constantly change them as they spit, pee, and other things all over them. :) I don't think one ever makes it through a whole day! They need fancy ones for showing off and more useful ones for at home. They need colorful ones to stimulate their senses and some solid ones to not detract from a favorite outfit. They need light, airy ones and extra warm and soft ones. They need a lot of blankets. :)

I recently told a new grandmother (my friend and neighbor) that I was going to make her new grandson an afghan. She told me she was already making him a quilt and I could make something else. Actually it was more direct as I mentioned making him the Sock Monkey Baby Hooded Afghan and she said I could make a sock monkey instead. I did not understand this as the baby will need more than the one quilt/blanket! But, grandma has priority and I am making the sock monkey but it is taking me forever. She is too nice a person for me to take offense over it. She is the sort of lady who would do anything for you and be happy for the opportunity. I should not even mention it here but I still don't understand. Oh well, the important thing is they are blessed with a beautiful baby boy! But he may need some blankets! ;)

I ask the family what gift and colors they would desire. If they have

some knowledge of crochet and knitting I let them make a choice of

pattern. I love making gifts for others, but want to make sure they

will be used.

I always give afghans. But I think I'd like a sacque to keep baby warm from top to bottom. It's something I'm not going to make for myself. Come to think of it, my friends have a baby coming in March. Hmmm!

What I crochet depends on who it's for. If I think they will appreciate and use a handmade gift then I will go out and do a whole set: blanket (small one); sweater; bonnet; and booties. If I'm not sure or not close to them I just make the booties because I love to make them. Other wise I might make a nice toy and booties or some combo of smaller baby items.

I like to give blankies from granny squares. They can always be added onto as the baby grows up!!

But since I crochet, if someone were to make something for my family babies, I would ask for a sweater set or a clothing article, especially if they were knitters. I just love the drape and fit of a baby's knitted outfit...

• 3 weeks later...

I chose other, but only because as a crocheter...my baby already has 3 blankets made by me. LOL. If I was making something for someone who crochet's or knits I would probably make something Other Than a blanket and would love if someone were to make me something other than. But if it was for someone who doesn't, blanket always wins!

Archived