If someone were to crochet or knit something for your baby

what is your favorite gift to give/receive for a baby  

350 members have voted

1. 1. what is your favorite gift to give/receive for a baby

• blanket
    • layette
    • toys
    • Other, let me tell you what I think!

All of you have so many wonderful ideas. I always crochet a blanket. I once had a woman ask for three blankets for her first child. I felt so good that someone appreciated the blanket to ask for three of them instead of one. Also, many of my friends tell me how they tell their children about the love and care that went into the blanket. Thank you all for all of the wonderful ideas.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is to funny, now I have to make another Baby blanket..and in a week,,lol...so its going to be an AggieMay's RR........... ONE more WIP to add to my list...and by my chair...lol..I can see me calling for help, and not being able to get outta my chair due to my WIP's surrounding me...:lol

Up until now I do not have kids. They're still wishful hoping. But my girlfreinds all have kids and they all asked me to make thier babies toys. I've made some beautiful crocheted animals for them. All in either baby yarn or 100% cotton. What ever the mom to be considered better. Since all animals have no buttons etc, and are filled with anti allergict filling the animals are all a big hit. Washing maschine safe etc. They are sure to be good freinds for the babies way into thier toddler years.

• 1 month later...

Blankets are just so versatile. They can be used as changing pads, burp cloths, their actual purpose of being a blanket, or, their eventual status of "wubbie." I LOVE blankets!

Usually, I will crochet a layette, but I always do the matching blanket. Uh dumb me, I always thought the layette included the blanket. So if I have the time, I will crochet a lot of stuff for the baby to come. Right now I know of two of my friends that are expecting in September. SO they will get a ton of stuff crocheted for them. Two crocheted blankets each, a quilted blanket to match the Mother's bedroom ( baby always starts out there anyway ) two receiving blankets with crocheted edge each, then a complete layette of jacket and pants for boys, or dress for girls, hat or headband, booties,and mittens ( DD was born with extra long finger nails and would scratch her face )

I would say all of the above, being am a Nana to 5 and each one of them got a blanket,clothes toys ,and lotions,and so on but my top is blankets. To this day each one has it and still take it with them when they travel,but I have to say I missed out on one ,grandson but over the summer we went to see them and he had taken his brothers that I had made them.All kids love they blankets!!!! But I have the sweater sets that where made for me for my boys and I cherish it when ever I go thought that box,I was given my husbands baby sweater set from his mother before she passed and its something,to have held on to for so long and be in great shape so I like to give them all. And I need to start a new one, just found out I have a granddaughter on the way, due in June so I hope I can at least get a blanket together by then,See middle son not sure how I would take it, kids:cheer:manyheart

When the first gal at my chruch's "Young married/engaged women's group (now we are all married)" had her first baby, I made a lovely set of matching blankie, sweater, and booties...it was a hit, for the second gal I made a similar set (This was before I had my lovely daughter who is now 4 months old), now that the third girl is pregnent, have finished the blankie and booties, and am feverishly working to finish the sweater. Thank goodness there is only one more girl left who has not had a baby yet...I set a VERY HIGH STANDARD that I am finding difficult to live up to, yet I am so close to these girls, I do not want one to feel left out...but if you have time, these sets are a hit! The blankie can be used for a long time, the sweater, I usually make to fit for the winter (hopefully) and the booties can be used anytime. I love using "Caron Simply soft Brites", and try to cordinate with items they have on their registry (ie. a baby girl got lime green/pink, the current one is shock blue, lime green and orge), I think these colour schemes keep thinks looking fresh and modern.

A problem I recently had was that many of my husband's cousins were pregnent at the same time (he has a large family) so I had to aim small, and for one of the girls I made a sweater, size 0-3 months. Unfortunatly, her baby was huge, and never got to wear the lovely sweater. Fortunatly, I had made it in soft pink and sage green (yes, a deviation from the 'brites'...I was very pregnent and had to pull from my stash as I could not get to the store at the time) Fortunatly, it matched her room perfectly, and baby's mom had hung some vintage clothes on the wall, and it is admired and appreciated, though not in the way i intended. So, I have decided to make booties (and make them for a 3-6 mo. old so that they will fit) for the rest of the cousins and give them as a supplement to a purchased gift due to time constraines.

Overall, my vote is set of Blankie, sweater, booties BUT if you do not have a lot of time, make booties! (even 2 or 3 pairs) I found they stay on better than socks :-)

• 5 months later...

To give or to receive - A blankie in all its comfort! :fluffy

There's a life to a blanket that can't be beat -Unlike outfits, ghans grow with the receiver from infancy through...well, sometimes right into adulthood! They're good for a snuggle, for warmth and a cuddle; they can help ease the pain of an ouch! and the ache of the heart...Oh, and, dare I say, they're easy to talk to! (remembering the many little conversations I've overheard) __ Not to mention, when draped just right?...they can turn any little one, saucy or shy, into a..."Super Hero"!

Yep, there's nothing like a good blanket...To have and to hold...

For boys, I like to give blankets or caps. I try to do neutrals or typical boy colors, but not necessarily pastel blue. I'll use the camo yarns, bright blue or red. For girls, if I can find infant sized flip flops, I use eyelash yarn on the straps. You can see samples on my artfire site. There's a gallery of things I've done in the past. http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=custom_item&seller_id=28162&gid=10502

A blanket is a wonderful gift, I like to make a matching hat, sweater and booties for a size 6 month... which reminds me that I still need to make the matching sweater for my own child :lol I started it, just never finished it.

For blankets, tiny car seat sized ones are really great, they work well for big kids too :D

Toys are wonderful, especialy if you add a bell when you are stuffing it so that it can be used like a rattle as well.

For my daughter I made a watermelon blanket and hat (from crochet today July/August) matching booties in the same color and a stuffed watermelon slice with a bell in it to make it a rattle. I never did finish the sweater and as soon as two of my friends find out what they are having they have requested a similar set.

I like to do hooded baby backzips, usually in a 12 months size. A yarn like Wool-ease (machine washable & dryable, but has some wool for warmth) or Amore(softer than SuperSaver). I like to use untraditional baby colors. A simple blanket to match if there's time.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to give baby afghans. But I do it differently than most I have seen. I make a blanket about double the size of a "normal" baby blanket in one color with a neutral, solid edging. That way as the child gets older I can make another large "baby blanket" in a complementary color with the same edging and join them. I will do this a total of 3 times so that the child has an afghan to fit a full size bed by the time he/she is a teenager. When all 4 blocks have been added to it I add several rows of edging to make up a little bit on the size and also to make the afghan a little more sturdy and fancy.

Off of the subject, have any of you ever had a handmade gift (baby or otherwise) thrown back at you? About 2 years ago my hubby's cousin had her baby shower and I had made a crocheted baby blanket, car seat blanket (with the slit for the belts), a set of 7 matching bib and bootie sets, and 7 baby washcloths. During the shower as she was opening gifts she got to ours and her smile disappeared and she angrily THREW the box at me and screamed "We do NOT accept homemade CRAP! Not for MY baby!!" All of this was in front of all of the other guests (about 30 people) and I thought I would just sink into the floor! At the same time I was REALLY angry about it and told her that if she can't appreciate handmade items then I would gladly take them back and find someone who would. I got the gift, my keys, said goodbye to a few friends and left. She hasn't spoken to me since and has spread many rumors in the family that "I'm too cheap to buy anything". Other family members (hubby's side of the family) have tried to apologize to me for it, but it isn't their responsibility to do so.

When my son was born, I received several crocheted blankets. I thought they were so beautiful. And of course that was when I didn't know how to crochet. I also received clothes and other stuff. My son is 29 now and I still have a couple cute outfits, but I have ALL of the blankets. When my son was about five, my grandmother (God bless her sweet soul) crocheted a big granny square blanket for him. She was going blind, but she crocheted every minute. :crocheting The blanket was sort of out of shape, but to us, it was the most beautiful thing. My son still has it. It is his most treasured thing. And he loves how it is out of shape. :manyheart

I prefer to give baby afghans. But I do it differently than most I have seen. I make a blanket about double the size of a "normal" baby blanket in one color with a neutral, solid edging. That way as the child gets older I can make another large "baby blanket" in a complementary color with the same edging and join them. I will do this a total of 3 times so that the child has an afghan to fit a full size bed by the time he/she is a teenager. When all 4 blocks have been added to it I add several rows of edging to make up a little bit on the size and also to make the afghan a little more sturdy and fancy.

Off of the subject, have any of you ever had a handmade gift (baby or otherwise) thrown back at you? About 2 years ago my hubby's cousin had her baby shower and I had made a crocheted baby blanket, car seat blanket (with the slit for the belts), a set of 7 matching bib and bootie sets, and 7 baby washcloths. During the shower as she was opening gifts she got to ours and her smile disappeared and she angrily THREW the box at me and screamed "We do NOT accept homemade CRAP! Not for MY baby!!" All of this was in front of all of the other guests (about 30 people) and I thought I would just sink into the floor! At the same time I was REALLY angry about it and told her that if she can't appreciate handmade items then I would gladly take them back and find someone who would. I got the gift, my keys, said goodbye to a few friends and left. She hasn't spoken to me since and has spread many rumors in the family that "I'm too cheap to buy anything". Other family members (hubby's side of the family) have tried to apologize to me for it, but it isn't their responsibility to do so.

How rude of her! :thumbdown:2nono:kick You did the right thing, taking the items and leaving. She is the one who should have sank to the floor. All the time and love you put into all those gifts, and she acts like that. Shame on her! :2nono She should have been thrilled that you made something special for her baby! I am sure you will find someone who will be thrilled to have them. :yes

I voted for blankets. My aunt made a blanket for my son when he was just 2 months old. It was my first time meeting my aunt and it was the first handmade item my son ever received. He doesn't treasure it as much as I do any longer because it was pastel and he is a 14 yr old young man now, but it did keep him very warm in the Ohio winter us Floridians were ill prepared for during our visit =) It is lovely and I was so thrilled when she gave it to me. It inspired me to learn to crochet, because I was so impressed and touched by it.

I have made baby blankets for friends and family. Everyone seems to really love them. My nieces got my best ones, which are big enough to go on a twin size bed, and they love them, but as was my experience, their mother loves them even more and uses them as decoration in the bedrooms when they aren't in use.

I plan to continue to making baby blankets for any family or friend who has a baby. I would like to eventually get some made to donate to my church as well so they can be given to the babies when they get dedicated.

:hug:hug:hug

I am so sorry that happened to you. I can't even imagine how hurt your feelings must have been. I can't fathom how someone could possibly be that rude and inconsiderate. Some day I hope she realizes how cruel and stupid her reaction was. I don't think her reaction was normal, actually IMO its pretty inhuman. Most people have enough sense and decency to at least pretend to like something and say thank you, even if they don't like it. I am blessed by my family all really appreciating my handmade gifts. They actually get upset if I don't make them something.

Yeah, I agree. She is a really nasty person. :yuck I did find someone who needed and appreciated the stuff I made a few months after that. A friend of mine had nearly all of the baby items she had bought (before her baby shower, thankfully) stolen from their house by the cleaning service they had hired while she was pregnant. It was a high risk pregnancy and she wasn't able to do much. Her husband is in the Navy and was away for over half of the pregnancy so she mostly stayed with us unless she had a craving to go home or her hubby was home. What I couldn't understand was how her neighbors didn't notice strange people hauling ALL baby stuff out. Anyway, we were able to replace the majority of the expensive stuff at her shower and the crocheted items that were already made really came in handy. The cleaning service was never charged because none of the items were ever found and no witnesses ever came forward. But they're all doing fine...she's actually pregnant again!! :teddy

Archived