okay, silly of me to ask

lovingmommy

Question

okay, this is really retarded of me to ask... but can anyone shed some light on my problem? lol.

ok, i was wondering what a crocheted dishcloth is for...

:eek

is it for actually scrubbing pots and pans? or is it more for just cleanning up messes from counters?

it just seems to me that it's a lot of work for a crocheted dishcloth to withstand by cleaning pots and pans, lol. correct me if i'm wrong, lol.

thanks so much for helping me out in my time of complete confusion, lololol.

:think

Can someone post a link for hand/dishtowels? I really like the idea. I have made some "not so pretty" dishclothes and love them.

I dream of having an all crocheted home and wardrobe! Well as much as possible, lol

wow!!! i am truly convinced!!! lolol. i will try my hand at making some too, lololol. i would love to have a soap saver pattern. does anyone have one they can share?

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

You created a MONSTER!!!! 15 dish cloths made 'just coz' in two days!!!! :eek

HUNDREDS of patterns printed out to make more!!!! (may be a bit of exageration there :blush but not much)

HOLP! HOLP! What am I gonna doooooooooo with them all?

On a more positive note, I got a whole pile of cotton from the op shop..like two pounds of it..for 4$

best go...have crocheting to do..

How about making washcloths for use in the bath/shower? I want to start up a supply of washcloths for washing my face, as I wonder if perhaps using a fresh one every time I wash my face might clear up these pesky zits that keep appearing. I've got some Sugar n Cream lying around (quite a bit, as I'm working on a blanket out of it), and I might be able to sacrifice some to save my skin - if this is a good yarn to use for a cloth that will be used on your skin. Ideas?

mmmm i think i have to make one now :lol

i must admit i thought the same, why make something just to clean dishes:think

but after reading all the posting, im gonna have to make one or some;)

what do you use? 100% cotton??

..what do you use? 100% cotton??

Yes you use cotton. I started making some a few months ago, but put them aside to work on other stuff. I'm going to make some more soon.

How about making washcloths for use in the bath/shower? I want to start up a supply of washcloths for washing my face, as I wonder if perhaps using a fresh one every time I wash my face might clear up these pesky zits that keep appearing.

I have found that these make excellent washcloths for the face and body. They have a "natural" exfoliant to them.

Using a fresh washcloth when washing your face also helps - however - my derm told me to wash without a cloth or make sure you use allergy and fragrance free fabric soap and softener for things that you will put on your face - if that is the type of problems you are prone to. If it isn't - try changing your facial scrub/wash. Just like shampoo - your skin sort of becomes "imune" to it.

-Dawn

I love using my dishcloths for when the handle of a pot is too hot to touch (college student = el cheapo cookware). I also wrap my hand in one when I pour hot water out of my kettle--the steam always seems to get me when I'm pouring a full quart for iced tea.

The handiest things ever!

i have made a couple of dishcloths but never used them b/c they look too good to mess up especially the angel dishcloth. sounds to me like they would be good to use so maybe make some more of them. :tup:ty all for your helpful comments here. :idea:cheer

Hi I've found peaches and cream and sugar and cream to be the best for dishcloths. However - I just received a beautiful discloth made from thread. I haven't tried the LB brand of kitchen cotton so I can't speak to that.

-Dawn

Sissy, here is a site with some good dish cloth patterns: http://www.crochetnmore.com/kitchen.htm. I have made the loop to loop hanging towel (love the thick texture of it) and matching dishcloth.

And Lion brand has this bath set that has a soap saver in it: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckc-bathAccessories.html. I have made several of these and really like them. But they do work better if you use a soap that doesn't lather too much. Lion Brand also had several other crocheted dish cloth patterns listed.

Hope that helps!

Tandi

Thanks so much, Tandi. My poor old dishtowels look horrible. They aren't worn out, just stained. I will check the link out.

Am I the only one that doesn't use washclothes on dishes?

We have a dishwasher but when I don't use that I use either a sponge with a rough side to it and toss it after awhile or I use those handiwipes and again toss them after awhile.

I have this 'thing' about too much germ build up no matter how many times you put them in the washer.

Now...........what to make this year....hmmmm.

Maybe you could make them some bath poufs and attach them to shower gel?

Here's a pattern from Crochet Me. There have also been some threads about this here in the village. Here's just a few: #1, #2, #3

As far as dishcloths go, I've never made one, never seen one and now after reading this thread I HAVE to have one! :lol Sigh. One more project for the ever-increasing list!

For soap savers, I just crochet a rectangle, fold it over, and stitch up the sides then make a drawstring top. I have a photo of the last one I made on the sidebar of my blog.

I don't like using CottonTots for them myself. That yarn seems to get slimy (I use the soap saver like a washcloth to scrub so slimy doesn't make me feel clean). I definately prefer Lily (sugar and cream or sugar babies - crafters cotton was awesome for scrubbing but it never dried out. :( )

I'm a big fan of crocheted/knitted dishcloths and washcloths. I've got one lone crocheted one that I actually kept for myself lol. I love it because it's way thicker than the ones I buy in the store and I can actually grip it in my hand better...there's more heft. I'm a cheapskate and so most of the ones I buy in the store are cheap (ie: THIN!) I just got some more cotton yarn, so I plan on doing several more for myself.

Oh, and bythehook had a great idea for cloths too! Big enough swatches of new stitches you're trying would be great for using as dishcloths! I never thought of that before!

Here's a list of soap savers from CPC

I made the crocheted dishcloths for the 9 ladies in my office. I gave them that along with a bottle of JOY dish soap. They thought that was cute with JOY being a perfect word for the holidays! :wreath They had seen me make these dishcloths in the past and had always said that "those are the best dishcloths" and how they wish they could make them. SO Wa-la that's what they got for their gift last year. Now...........what to make this year....hmmmm.

BTW: I made 5 dishcloths while on vacation. I ended up giving 2 away while I was there. lol People saw me making them--so I gave them the ones I had completed. I brought 3 home with me. Can you believe it--I have given every one of them away that I had made and had NEVER kept one for myself! Now I own 3. :elle They are the best. I love them too.

I'm a fan too. Have tons of dishclothes in the drawer, but I always seem to pick up one of my handmade ones instead of the store bought. I don't think they ever wear out. My everday ones are afghan stitch. I like the thcker texture.

I wondered about this also before I made one. Speaking of this...I crocheted an actual kitchen towel. My husband ran into the kitchen and announced that my crocheted towel couldn't dry spit off of a fly. Then, after washing his hands, he tried it and was amazed on how he could actually dry his hands with it. Yep, it is cotton, so it is absorbent. I have noticed he hasn't been using any of the other kitchen towels.

Archived