Granny Star Afghan New Pictures post #1

samijofitz

Granny Star Afghan

Materials: I used Red Heart Super Saver, 1 skein each contrasting color (blue & green), 2 skeins main color (white). Size J hook

Stitches Used: DC – double crochet Cluster – 2 dc in specified stitch or space Shell – (4 dc, ch 3, 4 dc) in specified stitch or space.

With main color, chain 5, join with slip stitch to form a circle, chain 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc, ch 3. (3 dc. Ch 3) 4 more times, join with slip stitch to beginning chain 3.

Slip stitch to next chain 3 space, chain 3 (counts as first dc), (3 dc, chain 3, 4 dc) in same space. Shell in each space around, join with a slip stitch to beginning chain 3.

Slip stitch to next chain 3 space, chain 3 (counts as first dc), (3 dc, chain 3 4 dc) in same space, * skip 2 dc, cluster in the next, skip 2 dc, cluster in the next, Shell in chain 3 space, repeat from * around, join to top of beginning chain 3.

Slip stitch to next chain 3 space, chain 3 (counts as first dc), (3 dc, chain 3, 4 dc) in same space, *skip 2 dc, cluster in space between dcs, cluster in space between clusters, until you get to the chain 3 space, Shell in chain 3 space, repeat from * around, join with slip stitch to beginning chain 3.

Continue work following the last rounds directions, increasing clusters between shells on each row. For the edging I just did a round of single crochet working 3 sc in the middle chain of each shell’s chain 3 spaces.

I do recall having to shape the afghan as I went, probably because I crochet a bit tight, but it worked out in the end.

You may use this pattern to make items for personal or charitable use; you may also sell items you make from this pattern. Please do not sell the pattern, or claim it as your own.

Sami Jo Fitzgerald September, 2008

post-4061-135897502995_thumb.jpg

post-4061-1358975030_thumb.jpg

post-4061-135897503003_thumb.jpg

post-4061-135897503005_thumb.jpg

post-4061-135897503007_thumb.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's also a pattern in Hooked on Crochet called "Star of Peace" that uses the same stitch pattern (I made a little star afghan for my kitty). They had a cool idea to put tassels on each of the ends using strands of each color yarn. It looked pretty cool. Just a thought.

It was very cool of you to write up your pattern for everyone. :)

I know this is a bit off - topic, but I saw this somewhere here, so...what is a prayer shawl or blanket or whatever?

It is a shawl or lapaghan that is made to be given to someone who is ill or going through a tough time. When I make them I'm praying for the person to whom it will go while I'm making it and usually I'm praying until the situation is resolved. I know of groups who do this as a ministry to nursing homes or Critical Care units. Others may know more but that is how I do it.:crocheting

Neat! I'm saving this one for soon! It'd be great for some Christmas gifts I see in the future... Near here, is Huntsville, and they have a baseball team called the Huntsville Stars. I'm sure a little person whose a fan would LOVE this blanket! I malke blankets for kids in foster care, and I'm always looking for new fun ideas. Thanks so much!!

Victoria

Archived