When Do You Start Baby Gifts?

My SIL is pregnant and I've already picked my projects and bought some of the yarn I need but I can't decide when to start her gift. I have plenty of other projects but I'm so excited.

I actually bought the first bit of yarn the day she got the positive test (but I bought it before I found out. I knew she was TTC and found a great sale) and she is now 18 weeks pregnant. I didn't start when I found out because she's had some miscarriages and I didn't want it hanging around if she went through that again but everything looks great this time and we find out the sex next week so I really really want to start!

How early do you start a baby gift project? Everytime I have baby gifts to do it seems like everyone I know is having babies and I'm always having to try to finish them while they're in the hospital. (FYI I'm doing an afghan, booties, and a bib and whatever else hits be before he/she gets here)

I often wait too long. The last baby set I did, I'd been given more than a month's notice before the first shower and between the first and second showers managed to make a ton more stuff (a timeframe of about three weeks). I say if things are looking good, it's not too soon to start and then you won't feel pressured.

Joyce

I'm with Joyce. I'd start now that way the main item or items I want done are done. You never know what's going to pop up in your own life that might put crochet on the back burner for awhile.

The minute I hear they're pregnant! Actually, I'll begin after their 3rd month (although that's usually when people announce the happy news).

Sometimes, if the couple is going to find out the sex, I'll wait until after that, if I've found a pattern that's more geared to a specific sex.

The other thing I'll do is to discreetly find out what colors and/or theme they're going for for the baby's room, so that I can make something that is in keeping with that.

The interesting thing is that I have an Indian co-worker who was expecting...I found out from her that in India they don't do our "baby" colors...anything goes. I made her an Estonian Lace baby blanket in a dark green and she loved it.

This year I had 8 babies to make gifts for. I started early so they'd be done before the babies were born. I've been holding off on giving the gifts until the babies are born. I live far from most of them so I didn't have to give the gifts for baby showers. I'm going to start having a baby gift "stash." I'm going to make a blanket in boy colors, girl colors and one in neutral colors so that I don't get in a rush again.

This year I had 8 babies to make gifts for. I started early so they'd be done before the babies were born. I've been holding off on giving the gifts until the babies are born. I live far from most of them so I didn't have to give the gifts for baby showers. I'm going to start having a baby gift "stash." I'm going to make a blanket in boy colors, girl colors and one in neutral colors so that I don't get in a rush again.

It's good to have a stash at hand. Buy yarn on sale or clearance, and then just have finished blankets whenever a baby is born. It's a great thing to do.

No last minute, getting the gift finished.

Good luck.

:manyheart

I'm going to start having a baby gift "stash." I'm going to make a blanket in boy colors, girl colors and one in neutral colors so that I don't get in a rush again.

I should start doing this but everytime I do a project for a gift I spend a ton of time picking the right colors and the right pattern. I'd never give a gift from my stash because I'd want to make something special.

I'm going to start tonight or tomorrow. I'm doing a yellow and white afghan so sex is not a big deal. SIL loves the idea of family hierlooms and has often said she is sad because her cousins got all the family heirlooms when thier grandmother died. I want to make her something she can pass on as a new family heirloom.

I'm going to make a quick RR or something similar in boy/girl colors but that won't take long. She's seen the gifts I've given other babies and commented how she'd like one to cuddle with but also commented how she's love to have one to tresure and use more as a photo prop/decorative item. I'm making one of each. :) She'll be shocked.

(Eventually i'm going to do a belated baby afghan for her son, who is three, I didn't crochet when he was born but I'd like her to have one for each)

I've made baby afghans for every baby for my family, friends and others who bought them as gifts. I try to start ASAP. If I don't know the sex, I use medium shade rainbow colors or find out the colors of the nursery. Today a co-worker asked for one for her son (a few mons. old), in blues. I'll cut some yarn samples (inch or 2) from my stash to show her, then I can start this weekend.

Ellie 13

I should start doing this but everytime I do a project for a gift I spend a ton of time picking the right colors and the right pattern. I'd never give a gift from my stash because I'd want to make something special.

I usually start something as soon as I hear what the sex of the child is going to be. If they aren't going to find out the sex of the baby I go ahead and start earlier. :think I don't have a problem giving someone a gift made from my stash yarn as I always go for the stash first on any project. Most of my stash consists of full skeins of yarn that was purchased without a specific purpose simply because I found it at a very good price and knew eventually it would be used to make a special gift for someone special.

I only give crocheted gifts to "special" family members and friends. If I have time, I crochet a pair of booties to go with. I just don't want to get in the rush I was in this year making a ton of baby blankets and nothing else. I'm not a "fast" crocheter so I'm behind on my traditional Christmas gift of slippers for the ladies.

I usually make something as soon as I hear but my Godson and his wife are going to find out what the gender of the baby is, so I'm waiting until later this month when they go and then I will start it.

I started it last night (I bought a pretty varigated baby yarn instead of the white). Thank god I did too since I didn't realize it changes yarns EVERY round and there are 12 rounds in each square. Thank god I only need 18 of them. Its also a slow pattern to work, I hate slow patterns. Working an hour and a half on it should always result in finished squares (not half done square).

Its a pretty afghan but I'm not loving it now that I'm doing in. Its almost too fancy. Much too pretty for a boy. :(

Archived