Meet My New Friend!!!

Introducing....Scarlett...last name Singer! :lol

I bought her at a stocktake sale for 50% off!!! A total steal!

th_DSCF0440.jpg

I got her to be my new model for my crochet and she is adjustable for custom orders! Let's get her looking a bit more presentable, eh?

th_DSCF0445.jpg

Bec

:hook

Very cute. I have been oogling DMD's (dress maker's dummy) for quite awhile now. My hubby is getting tired of being a shalw model for me and I must confess....it just isn't working. I have ripped that thing out more times then I can count now. I also want to start designing clothes and such but alas....I feel I "must" have a DMD first ggg

Well I don't know if she would have been a steal in the US but I got her for $149 Australian dollars (down from $300)!!!! I figure she will pay off after I sell a few things.

I came across this post on craftster and thought I should share it for the DIY'er in you!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=28407.0

It's a tutorial for making your own dress model. The great thing about this one is it's FREE and you can make it fit YOUR measurements!! Once you put a shirt on it, it's the same darn thing!!

Good luck!

Bec

I've heard of the duct tape dummies before.

Here's where I found a tute.

Maybe one day I can get hubby to help me make one, would be helpful when I'm crocheting clothes.

Edit: I got a really crazy idea after I posted this-crocheting my own dress dummy to my measurements. Think about it, it'll be soft and if I have to pin anything to it they won't get sticky from the tape and I won't need hubby's help (except maybe with a stand for it).

Where these ideas come from I have no idea but I do have a lot of leftover yarn so it won't cost me in yarn, just in fiberfill.

Ok, I'm officially nuts.

:frog

Wow! I never thought of making a dummy myself. I've been wanting one since I had a sewing phase 3 or so years back (and before that, I kinda wanted one because they look cool!).

I'm sure I'll make one at some point, but I'll have to wait until I have a bigger flat (roll on December!). At the moment, my only spare space is beside the bath :D

This one is going to be awhile finishing too, I need to finish a couple of other projects and finish detangling all that old yarn before I get to the dummy.

I have an old acme dressmakers dummy. She has been a godsend. Today she saved me hours of work by showing me that even though my gauge was right, the project I was working on was still going to be way to small. Better to frog early in a project than later.

You will love having her around. :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay

Love the duct tape idea, but it could get dangerous around my family... I think bf would be fine, but his brother is so duct tape happy that he puts a folded piece of duct tape in presents he gives instead of signing them in any way. Everyone knows it's him. And with everybody including said BIL on the ranch, it makes it very very hard to avoid anyone! lol

i like the duct tape dummy idea... but seems a little complicated.

That's why I'm going to give crocheting one a try, the duct tape dummy takes at least two people and I can do a crochet one myself. I might need Hubby's help with a stand for it but that'll be about it.

Archived