Crochet socks - why?

First, let me say, I have never made socks but would love to have some as I detest shoes (love to look at them - hate to wear them) but love socks - in fact, I really want a pair of light up socks - LOL!!

anyways, it's kind of like freeform, I dont get it, for the most part dont like it but if that is what makes someone's heart sing then I say "go for it!!"

I sure have seen some lovely socks here at the ville - makes me want to try. I am the kind of girl that buys the really weird, out there, socks and wear them in the winter with my birkies. am looking to add the holey clogs to my wardrobe for the same reason. It's very hard for me to bend over to put on shoes so i tend to wear the slip on/off kind....but socks - WOW!!! Boy oh boy do I want some pretty ones!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have crocheted one sock so far, and I plan to finish the other to make the pair. I like how it fits, etc, but I'm not sure about how they feel. We will see. I do like knitted ones.

One question I have is how to make them so that you can get them on over your heel but not have them be saggy around the ankle. Does that make sense?

Lynn

And I'm fast. A pair of socks only takes me about a day or two to make. If I knit them, it takes me about a week or more.

Takes me a day or two to knit a pair of socks and I'm a beginner at knitting socks (not knitting though. Been doing that or 8-10 years).

I actually prefer knitted socks to crochet ones. I like the fabric so much better and I love the whole method of it. It's soooo much fun!!

Julee

p.s. Sock yarn around here is anywhere from 5 dollars a skien and up. Just depends on what quality you're wanting.

:crocheting Christmas stockings is the only "sock" I've made. My niece put them on her feet and her sister put one on her head (silly kids). They made cute slippers and hats :lol. To each his/her own. I might try socks/slippers someday.

Ellie 13

I've never made socks and I wouldn't. Mostly because it's too hot even in the winter to have socks on lol. I hate things on my feet. I don't even make booties because they never match in size!

I am DYING to try my hand at socks! I prefer toe socks, but they're hard to find around town without the scrubby things on the bottoms. I have a place I can order sport ones from, but I'd really just like to make 'em! I know of only one pattern for toe socks though~it's in a book with 16 other sock patterns. I can't wait to get it! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I've knitted socks but have not attempted to crochet them yet. Does anyone know of a good pattern for crocheted socks that one could wear in one's shoes? I've seen plenty of patterns for "house socks", but none for thinner socks...

I haven't tried these myself, but with a name like "In Your Shoes Ankle Socks", I think they're probably just the ticket. :lol

http://crochetme.com/in-your-shoes-ankle-socks

Socks are on my list of things to make someday. My feeties are always cold and I hate wearing shoes, so socks are a necessity for me!

When I began knitting a few years ago, I said the same thing....why in the world would I spend that kind of money and spend that amount of time knitting a pair of socks when I can go to Walmart and buy a 6 pack for $3? Well.....as time went on I was curious as to how it was done and I saw some really cute sock yarn. On vacation I visited a LYS store and they had Tofutsies sock yarn (none of my stores carry sock yarn). This Tofutsies was really expensive in my book....$16.50 a skein!!!! Yikes! But I was on vacation and that was my splurge purchase so I bought 3 skeins in really cool colors.

Well I knitted a pair of socks with the variegated pink yarn in a really pretty pattern and I was so happy!!! I loved how soft they were and how they fit and it just made me happy. (Let me tell you, I never get happy putting on my Walmart socks and I think we can all use a little more happy feelings in our day.) And the really nice thing was that I had enough in that one skein to make another pair of socks! So now I get 6 pairs of really nice socks.

I actually just purchased some more sock yarn from Annie's Attic in wonderful shades of pink, purple, and blue. These skeins were all between $4 and $6 which is so much better than the price of Tofutsies, I just hope they feel as good.

I also never thought I'd make a doily or a bookmark or a toy, but as time goes on I find myself wanting to try new things and learn new things and now I've made a few of each.

Well I knitted a pair of socks with the variegated pink yarn in a really pretty pattern and I was so happy!!! I loved how soft they were and how they fit and it just made me happy. (Let me tell you, I never get happy putting on my Walmart socks and I think we can all use a little more happy feelings in our day.) And the really nice thing was that I had enough in that one skein to make another pair of socks! So now I get 6 pairs of really nice socks.

I totally HAVE to agree with your statement!! I LOVE wearing my hand knit socks. Gives me 100% satisfaction and they can last for years. What more could I ask for. Walmart socks don't last for years (well, some of mine have but I learned the art of darning though early on).

Can't wait to see a pic of your finished sock (hint, hint).

Julee

I made my first pair of socks after I found the Grafton Fiber guidelines for crocheting socks to fit yourself personally. They are a toe-up sock with an after-thought heel. This was exactly what I wanted.

I worked with 2 separate skeins. I did 2 or 3 rounds on one sock, then repeated it on the other, so they'd be made the same at the same time. This pair was made with worsted weight yarn on purpose, so they would be heavy enough for boot socks or for slippers around the house.

To my absolute surprise, these socks were very easy to make, not fussy, and easy to fit as I worked. I made them in single crochet and edged the top with 1 round of shells. I really enjoyed this project and would like to make them again in sport weight, then in baby weight.

Thank you all very much for your reactions! I must say that you actually made me curious to try it out for myself. Just to make certain whether I like it or not, you know. ;)

What do you think; would a 100% cotton yarn work or would an acrylic work better because of stretching and sliding down issues?

I totally agree that hand knit socks make me happy. And they are GREAT as gifts. I have some to two girlfriends and my mom for Christmas last year and they loved them.

I hope I can get the same wearing feel from the crocheted ones, because they are so much quicker! I have to say, though, that with knitting them, just when you get a little bored with one section, it's time to change to a different section, so it really keeps you interested.

I'm looking at a pattern now for socks. I'm very intrested in how it will turn out. These will be my first pair. I wanted something to challenge my crochet skills, so I figured working on socks will be a good start. Take your time with the instructions, they should come out fine. Even if you finish them from now until a year, this will be something you accomplish yourself. I'm looking forward to starting on mine.

Wow! Im so glad to see so many sock lovers! Come on over to the "Toasty Tootsies" swap...NOW Open for sign ups!

I love to crochet sock, too, that is why I am coordinating this swap. I recently learned to knit socks (my first REAL knitting projects, mind) and I love the way they look, but it is so slow to me! Plus, I feel like there are so many more options for ruffles, edging, patterns, etc, for crocheted socks. Also, some of the "biggie" yarn companys (bernat, caron, red heart, etc) are coming up with some pretty inexpensive socks yarn that is sold in places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels and Joanns.

Socks are a huge hang up for me. I have tried no less than 8 of the free patterns online and can't get 1/2 way through without a problem. So yesterday I bought the socks pattern from Shelle, figuring since her Shawler pattern was easy for me to follow for my first wearable, that I should be able to make her socks.

So, socks are my item for the Greek Games. :) Personally I just really want the satisfaction. Also, I DESPITE socks but my feet freeze so the way I see it, I may as well wear ones I really like how they look, so I bought yarn I thought was fun!

A few days ago I bought 6 skeins of sock yarn at Annies Attic. They were Premier Yarns Echo, Sassy Stripes, and Happy Feet. $3.59 to $5.99 a skein. I didn't think that was bad for sock yarn. I just wish my Joanns, Michaels, or AC Moore would carry them so I can use the 40% off coupon.

I love to make socks :manyheart because:

1. they're a small project and easy to carry around
  2. It gives me something to do in the hospital waiting room when I'm there for chemo all day
  3. the thicker yarns make socks that really keep my feet warm in the cold of winter - store bought socks just aren't warm enough (might be psychological)
  4. It gives me a chance to work with expensive yarns I couldn't normally afford ($15 for socks is cheaper than over $100 to make a larger item)
  5. the colours I choose "cheer me up" when I'm feeling sick from treatment
  6. They're a nice "swap item" to receive

I have Shelle's pattern and it is fairly easy. In fact it was the first crocheted socks I did. Sailed right through it. I did add about five extra rows in the foot cause I have longish feet but other than that I just followed the pattern as written. I did use sock yarn and they aren't that much heavier than my knitted socks. I also used an F hook since I do crochet loose. But it is a good pattern to start with.

Also, my JoAnn's is now carrying two sock yarns. They have Paton's and a store brand. I just cast on with their store brand (knitting I know) and it seems nice. It is a "real" sock yarn -meaning it is 75% wool and 25% nylon. And it was only $5.99 a ball. So far I'm liking the way it is working up and I like the hand.

I posted at Team Wearables a pic of my first sock, courtesy of following Shelle's pattern. I wish I hadn't wasted all that time on all those free online patterns that just didn't work out. One time reading hers and it was no trouble, go figure.

Hello there!

I have made several pairs of socks, they are soo comfy, I have made some with sock yarn, thin baby yarn, thick and bulky yarn, I live in Colorado where the winter months are extremely cold, warm socks are a must, my kiddos wear them under their snow boots and around the house like slippers, I imagine you can use any kind of yarn/fiber as long as your stitches and tension are correct to avoid stretching. You can even use scrap yarn to make different colors of socks, using up odds and ends.:hook

One of the things I was always told about making socks (I have knit the few pairs I have) is that regular acrylics won't hold up to wearing and washing them as well as rel sock yarn because socks yarn usually has nylon in it or something so that it can take more friction. Another lady on here said she holds a thread called wooly nylon with the sock yarn for the heel to toe part for added strength so the heel doesn't wear out as fast. I will be purchasing that this weekend. For the time it takes to knit an intricate pair of socks I want to make sure they are going to last a long time! I received my AA order and I LOVE my sock yarns. Now I just have to finish up a few other projects before I start yet another one, lol.

Archived