Serious Plarn question???

Proudmama and I were wondering if anyone can tell us where do all those colorful bags come from to combine with yarn?? :scrachin:lol The only ones we see are white and an occasional yellow.

HELP PLEASE!!! :hook:crocheting

All I ever find are white and blue, and sometimes greyish yellow/tan. Have you tried the nearest mall? Sometimes our mall has other colored bags, and maybe around some of the holidays you can find other colors.

Lots of malls utilize other color bags. pinks and stuff. Maybe see about finding where they recycle plastic bags and see if they would be willing to let you have some?

some of the dollar use black and tan colored bags.but most the grocery is white with different colored writing. some poeple use the trash bags which comes in different colors.Seen small trash bags in pink but cant remember the name brand.

Yup mall stores.

Disney store has pretty blue, purple, etc. Depends on the image on the bag.

Children's place is usually blue with other colors (photos of kids sometimes)

Target bags are red and white. Sometimes during the holidays they have black and grey or some other color.

If you don't shop those stores (or any mall store) ask a friend who does and doesn't crochet or knit, if you can have them.

I have bunch but they're all mine mine mine. :D

Sorry..I misunderstood what Robin was telling me..She said it is plastic USED like yarn..I thought it was the combination of both..Been along time since I understood all the crochet lingo..Guess I need a dictionary..:rofl

I wish we had some of those stores here..Our mall is so far behind the times..:lolIt is so sad..NO HL..NO Michaels..No Target..No Alco..what in world is wrong with this town??:scrachin

Our local Kinney Drugs is the only one with colored plastic bags right now ~ bright orange. I've asked my sisters to save theirs for me.

The dollars stores occasionally have colors.

Walmart had a turquoise blue for a long time, so now when I come across one here with something packed away in it, I swap it for a current white one so I can build a small stash of those.

:cheerAre bread bags too small to cut up to use?

They come in lots of bright colours and should create a nice effect.

Maybe you could cut a continuous strip starting at the open end of the bag.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS, I have never had the urge to crochet or knit plastic bags.:eek

:cheerAre bread bags too small to cut up to use?

They come in lots of bright colours and should create a nice effect.

Maybe you could cut a continuous strip starting at the open end of the bag.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS, I have never had the urge to crochet or knit plastic bags.:eek

Ooooh!!! I LOVE this idea!!! Bread bags have ALL different colors on them, and I think it absolutely would be possible to cut one continuous strip from the open end down, spiraling around the bag down to the bottom. BRILLIANT idea!!! :yay

I THINK I have seen different color small waste basket trash bags in rolls at some of our local dollar stores as well. It was mostly pastel colors, I saw a pale lavender, pale pink, pale green and pale blue at one point, but I haven't looked for them in a while. They're only small wastebasket sized, but if you got enough of them they would work. The problem with using these bags, though, is that there's no way to recycle a trash bag, because it gets thrown out with the trash. So if you bought them to make plarn, you wouldn't be recycling them, although you WOULD be keeping them out of the landfills. I wish the stores would start using more colorful plastic bags. Don't they know that creative people everywhere need COLOR!?!? :lol

If you buy rice cakes, the Quaker cakes bag is a nice weight and is colorful. (I'm working on a plarn bag and only noticed about the rice cakes after my son ate the last one!)

I have a pattern for something special for a special someone on the ville -

AND

I hit the mall today, did my speal at each store and lo and behold i ended up with oooodles of bags in oh so many colors - i cant wait to get started - everyone at our mall was thrilled to help!!!

i know it isnt truly recycling but hey a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do -

thanks to everyone for the help!!!!

awww comeone empress busy bee you don;t want to share:devil:devil i don;t blame you the prettiest bag i ever saved was a pink one that i got from top food and drugs they were bringing awareness to breast cancer hence the pink bags. before i could stop her my dd used them in a art project she was making:eek:eek so not fair :yes:yes:yes

If you don't shop those stores (or any mall store) ask a friend who does and doesn't crochet or knit, if you can have them.

I have bunch but they're all mine mine mine. :D

dont think i will need anymore for awhile - my mall was wonderful and oh soooo many pretty colors - i think i probably have enough to make 3 or more of this pattern!!

i am soooo excited!!!

thanks for all the help!!

im never used plarn before, however, my bf likes to surf the web for "odd" things (to him). and tonite he sent me 2 links about plarn yarn, and I thought of this thread to share them on.

how to page

a link page for patterns and more info

I hope these are helpful to someone. :)

Sandy

Buying plastic bags to make plarn, doesn't make sense to me. It is cheaper and easier tho use regular yarn. However, recycling does make sense. Using your plastic bags to make something else keeps them out of landfills. You can even use plarn on plastic canvas. I've used it to make boxes of different sizes and shapes. You can make plastic canvas tote bags from them. You just cut open the rings and use just like yarn.

Best Buy uses blue bags and Giant Supermarkets does as well. Shoprite uses yellow bags (at least they used to). There is a chain of stores in Long Island, NY that uses hot pink bags. Sometimes the stores use tan bags instead the white ones. I crocheted a purse from the tan bags and lined them. I posted it somewhere else on this board. It came out very nice and looks like a straw summer bag.

thankfully the mall shops didnt charge me once i explained what they were for - as i said i realize i am not truly recycling but this pattern called for plarn and if i could explain the pattern it would make sense why it should be plarn not yarn. after all is said and done and this special someone receives their gift then i will come back and explain in better detail. sorry to be so vague but dont want to spoil the surprise!!

Archived