Tips on Photographing Crochet/Crocheted Items

The only thing I know (and my pics show it! LOL) is NATURAL LIGHT. Now, as to how one gets the item to show well in natural light if you can't get outside, I have no idea!

If you are taking a photo of an item on a model, get down eye level to them. The most noticeable difference between pro pix and snapshots is the angle. Get the item eye level to you or get eye level to it. Use a white sheet as a backdrop if you need to, to focus attention on the item in question, not the toys on the floor behind it, etc. Look at where the shadows fall before you snap the picture and adjust your location accordingly.

That's all I can think of right now, but those are the highlights, anyway.

I'll take pics of my afghans preferably outside (natural sunlight) and standing up on a chair (way higher than the actual piece to get more of it in the picture.

Hubby says I should turn the flash OFF when taking pics of doilies

Hubby says I should turn the flash OFF when taking pics of doilies

I agree with your hubby! I now use my dining room table to photograph my doilies, which is near a window, with the blinds open. The photos come out much nicer, softer, with natural light.

Think about the setting/background of where you're taking the picture. If you're taking a picture of an afghan on a bed, make sure taht the background does it justice... also, don't just toss it on there. Or if taking pictures of small things, make sure you get close in so it fills the frame as much as possible. (I've seen too many beautiful peices be totally overshadowed by junk in the background...)

I second (or third or whatever...) the natural light suggestion. But be aware of the shadows and how their cast across your work.

For smaller items such as bags, baby items, etc., I use a piece of poster board as a background. I have the boards in white, black and gray and choose one depending on the color of the item. I try to use natural light... either in the shade by the side of my house, or just inside a glass door. I sometimes try also adding flash to the natural light. I try different exposures and then pick the best one when I upload to my computer.

Good luck!

Joan

The best pics I have taken have been indoors with filtered sunlight, with the flash off. If I really want to take a photo at night, or on a dark winter day, i turn on all the room lights i can, maybe move a lamp near the object. I usually take about 20 photos:P, and often the first is the best, but then I have several to choose from. My camera has a "macro" setting for closeups and I like to use that.

A lot, I've found, depends on what settings your camera has. My new one has an extremely bright flash so it takes pics at night really well. My other camera didn't have too good of a flash so I always had to wait for the next day to take pics. My suggestion is to play around with your camera and try different settings with different lights and projects; find one that you like and make note of it.

I'm going to second the play around with your settings.

Also second the take a lot of photos if you have a digital camera. It costs nothing to take and delete.

I agree with most everything else said especially for close ups change your setting to macro and turn off your flash. Macro is the little flower or tulip shaped setting. I had my camera for well over a year before I knew that because my manuel just said 'close up' and didn't even call it marcro.

It looks like this:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/s1/s1_macro_icon.jpg

One other thing and I know some will disagree with me; don't set your crocheted item on another crocheted item. If you really want to show them both off, take seperate photos. I've so many that literally got lost in the secondary project.

Okay one more thing. If you're taking a photo of something on the floor, be sure to keep your feet (especially bare) out of the shot. It's distracting and you'd be surprised at how many people have an aversion to feet. ;)

I'm going to second the play around with your settings.

Also second the take a lot of photos if you have a digital camera. It costs nothing to take and delete.

I agree with most everything else said especially for close ups change your setting to macro and turn off your flash. Macro is the little flower or tulip shaped setting. I had my camera for well over a year before I knew that because my manuel just said 'close up' and didn't even call it marcro.

It looks like this:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/s1/s1_macro_icon.jpg

One other thing and I know some will disagree with me; don't set your crocheted item on another crocheted item. If you really want to show them both off, take seperate photos. I've so many that literally got lost in the secondary project.

Okay one more thing. If you're taking a photo of something on the floor, be sure to keep your feet (especially bare) out of the shot. It's distracting and you'd be surprised at how many people have an aversion to feet. ;)

Thank you for the information on the macro. I didn't know that either. No wonder my close ups always look washed out. I agree with keeping feet and other objects out of the pictures too.

lol, as I just posted pictures of slippers with feet in the picture (because it fit the story)! Sorry if I gave anyone the heebies!

I have a hard time getting good digital pics in my home unless it is a sunny day. If it isn't I also turn on all the lights and go from there. I try to stage the items if it is something small on a clear background. If it is an afghan I lay it out on the bed and hubby takes a picture from standing on a chair. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. I also take lots and lots of pics, especially as I shake even with the stabilizer on so a lot of mine are blurry.

I think learning how to fix your photos is also a good thing to do. Some good cropping can really enhance a picture!

lol, as I just posted pictures of slippers with feet in the picture (because it fit the story)!

LOL No I meant baby afghans, agghans, tops, etc. I've seen a lot laid on the floor with feet poking in at the bottom where the picture taker is standing.

I also take lots and lots of pics, especially as I shake even with the stabilizer on so a lot of mine are blurry.

This reminds me, if you (any you) can get a tripod, do so. If not, rest your arms on something to stablize it. Use your timer to help cut down on the shaking that happens when you press the click button especially with the macro because it will really blur on the slightest shake.

Archived