I wonder why pineapples are so popular when it comes to crochet?

I think it all goes back to the old days when symbolism was very important to people. I don't know for sure, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that there's a good chance that it started during the Victorian Era, or at least became popular during that era, because symbolism was rampant during those days. Every flower had a different meaning, every color had a different meaning, etc. The pineapple is a symbol of hospitality, and since crochet is used to make many things for the home, it makes sense to me that the pineapple would be a popular thing to crochet because, at least in days gone by, pineapple items made people feel welcome in peoples' homes when they went visiting. Like I said, I don't know this for sure, but it seems like a plausible theory. :)

Here's an interesting article on the subject. I was pretty sure the pineapple symbolism want back at least to American Colonial times, but it started in the Renaissance. I'd remembered reading elsewhere as well that hostesses would rent pineapples 'just for show'. So the whole pineapple theme makes sense for display doilies and table linens...or did back then anyway :)

http://www.levins.com/pineapple.html

My grandmother loved them because they were so fast for her to do. Once she got it started she didn't even bother to pay attention to what she was doing. Kinda like granny squares.

Hubby loves the look of them (and so do I) so I'll be making a set for us.

Personally I just think they look so intricate and way cool.

Well I know all the things about hospitality,:P but why are they so popular to do?

My own theory is they are repetative enought to make the pattern easy to do,

yet look complicated enough that they make a wonderfully showy piece in the end.:crocheting

Gee :yaywhat we all want, a little bang for the buck! Fairly easy crocheting and

a complicated looking showy end product. Whoppeee!:cheer

My own theory is they are repetative enought to make the pattern easy to do,

yet look complicated enough that they make a wonderfully showy piece in the end.:crocheting

That's exactly why I love them. My friends that know nothing about crochet think that they are so complicated and must take forever, I just smile and take the compliment :devil

I'm not terribly keen on the pineapple pattern again - but here's a weird thing: I've never actually seen anything crocheted in this pattern, except in photos here on the Ville. Having read its 'social history' (VERY interesting, thank you!) I wonder if it is a pattern that is primarily connected to the US and its social history?? Several times the 'American colonies' are mentioned in the article...

Like Daydreamer-girl, I'm in Germany (hallo! wo wohnst du denn, übrigens?) so maybe it's just unusual for us??

I'm not terribly keen on the pineapple pattern again - but here's a weird thing: I've never actually seen anything crocheted in this pattern, except in photos here on the Ville. Having read its 'social history' (VERY interesting, thank you!) I wonder if it is a pattern that is primarily connected to the US and its social history?? Several times the 'American colonies' are mention in the article...

Like Daydreamer-girl, I'm in Germany (hallo! wo wohnst du denn, übrigens?) so maybe it's just unusual for us??

Come to think of it, I can´t remember seeing anything crochet in pineapple either (except in photos).

Archived