Mad at Michaels ;(

I went into my local Michaels store to pick up a skein of yarn and found some amazing yarn on sale for $1.00. Well, I went into overdrive and filled up a basket with some incredible goodies. I happily trotted off to the register with a big smile on my face. I waited patiently in line to get rung up, presented my coupon from AC Moore for 25% off the total purchase price and was told that I couldn't use it there!! I was livid!! I thought they honored competitor coupons??? Let's just say, I won't be shopping there anytime soon. I'm staging my own little boycott at this time and WILL go to AC Moore to do future shopping. Maybe it was a blessing 'cause I really didn't need the yarn anyway but oh the projects I had in mind with it!! Just wanted to get this off my chest!

I forgot to post this! I went last saturday and was told that they are under new policy...and can no longer, take other coupons...give you discounts when you don't have the coupon and you will not be given a coupon at the registers. I too was VERY upset and told the cashier (not her fault, I understand) that I was off to Joann's instead and left my basket of stuff right there!

I went to AC Moore yesterday and they have some of there yarn on clearance. I bought TLC Baby Laddie Print at $1.74 (bought 6) and RH Soft Fuschia $1.59 (bought4) and used the 25% coupon. I like A C Moore better then Michael's anyway. Paid $12.60 for all. Which isn't bad

I'm not Michaels biggest fan either but not even Jo-Anns will take a competitors "25 % off entire purchase" coupon. They will only take the individual coupons. Not to mention, the yarn was already on sale for $1.00. I don't know of very many coupons that let you use coupons on sale items.

I went to JoAnn's yesterday with DH and as usual they took my Michael's 25% off coupon without as much as a second look.

Michael's can definitely be persnickety about coupons but I've never had them deny any competitor coupons after asking them to speak with a manager (none of the cashiers have ever even bothered to have one come over).

Hmm. Well I don't have that problem here. The only craft store here is Michaels. Then there's wal-mart. That does suck about the coupon change, not being able to get the discount by signing the paper. It's hard to find the flyers. and on line, it just says there are no sales for my local michaels store. whatever.

Things change, you just gotta go with it. I signed up to get flyers and stuff by email. hopefully that will start soon.

I believe it may be up to individual Michael's stores as to whether or not they accept competitor's coupons. I've heard from other people whose store does take them, but my two local Michael's stores do not.

I've also never heard of anyone allowing use of a coupon on sale/clearance items, though. At least not the usual, general coupons.

There was no mention in the coupon about not being to use the discount on sale items. It simply stated that it was 25% off of the total purchase. I have not had any problems in the past with them honoring coupons. I'm still disappointed with them!

There was no mention in the coupon about not being to use the discount on sale items. It simply stated that it was 25% off of the total purchase. I have not had any problems in the past with them honoring coupons. I'm still disappointed with them!

Wow! That's a great coupon, then. I don't think I've ever seen one that included 25% off sale and clearance items!

But I'm still not surprised that Michael's wouldn't take the coupon. While it's great when companies do accept competitors' coupons, I don't think we should expect them to do so.

I believe it may be up to individual Michael's stores as to whether or not they accept competitor's coupons. I've heard from other people whose store does take them, but my two local Michael's stores do not.

I've also never heard of anyone allowing use of a coupon on sale/clearance items, though. At least not the usual, general coupons.

I don't think I've EVER heard of anyone, regardless of what it is, taking any coupon, including their own coupon, for sale items.

The yarn was a buck a throw? Good lord, I would have stocked up and not worried about the coupons anyway...that's quite the savings. I haven't heard of yarn being $1.00 a skein in years!

I agree with Amy.

Wow! That's a great coupon, then. I don't think I've ever seen one that included 25% off sale and clearance items!

But I'm still not surprised that Michael's wouldn't take the coupon. While it's great when companies do accept competitors' coupons, I don't think we should expect them to do so.

I agree with this as well.

I am a department manager at a Kansas City Michaels. all policys are the same company wide.We are running all different types of coupons now please read them carefully. Some of them are including sale items some are not. We DO accept coupons from the competitors as long as they are current. We also take more then 1 coupon in a transaction as long as the % off is different. If you don't have a coupon no discount will be given If you belive the cashier is wrong ask for a manager maybe the cashier misunderstood the new policy.

I don't think I've EVER heard of anyone, regardless of what it is, taking any coupon, including their own coupon, for sale items.

The yarn was a buck a throw? Good lord, I would have stocked up and not worried about the coupons anyway...that's quite the savings. I haven't heard of yarn being $1.00 a skein in years!

I agree with Amy.

That's always been my understanding, too. $1 a skein is a great price. However, the most recent Joann ad that I received yesterday includes a coupon for 10% off the total purchase - including sale priced items.

Beverly

I just stocked up on some sale yarn at Michaels too!! They don't take coupons for sale items though, never have. It is for regular priced merchandise. You should have been happy to get the yarn at such a low price. JoAnn's still sells the yarn that I bought at Michaels for $1.50 at the regular price of $3.58 so I got a good deal!! No coupon needed!

My Michaels does not accept competitors coupons at all. They *say* they do but they have a ton of excuses when you bring the coupon to the register...like "sorry, no computer printed ones" or "no, not that one, only the 40% off ones" or "sorry, it's Tuesday and it's raining. We never take competitors coupons when it's raining or on Tuesdays." ;) j/k on the last one. JoAnns is a stone's throw away from my Michaels. They're bigger and have a lot more yarn to choose from. JoAnns takes Michaels or AC Moore coupons. I don't expect the Michaels by me to last too much longer when JoAnns can do this and they can't. I know they're hurting and that's why they can't do it but in the end, it hurts them even more when all my business goes to JoAnns or AC Moore.

I just stocked up on some sale yarn at Michaels too!! They don't take coupons for sale items though, never have. It is for regular priced merchandise. You should have been happy to get the yarn at such a low price. JoAnn's still sells the yarn that I bought at Michaels for $1.50 at the regular price of $3.58 so I got a good deal!! No coupon needed!

Finding yarn at a $1 a skein is not hard in my area. The local dollar store very often sells incredible brands/textures at that price.

I also would have stocked up on $1 yarns and used the coupon for other higher items. But again, each store is different.

I tried to use a regular Michaels coupon at Joannes one day for a crochet book and was told that because it wasn't a "craft item", I was not allowed to use it. It only said 40% one regular priced item, didn't specify "craft item". Usually, they will specify Xylon machines, etc on the coupon. I did put the item back myself and said thanks anyway and left and went to Michaels (they didn't have the same book but I bought something else that Joannes didn't have).

LI Roe

If you are on Michael's mailing list for email, check your mail box. I received a 50% off coupon from them and when I used it today, they gave me another coupon for 40% off that will be good next week. Could it be that they are passing out coupons this way in order to save on advertising expenses? There wasn't any Michael's ad insert in our weekend newspapers this week.

Beverly

Archived