Annie's Attic Free pattern 06/3/08

and no announcement that they would switch off

I don't remember for sure but I don't believe there was an announcement when they started the free patterns. If there was one, I never saw it and I don't think a lot of other people did either so this isn't out of the norm for them.

I'm sure there really is more than just crochet coming to their site.

I'm thinking this purse is such a simple pattern, you could pretty much follow it with single crochet and get close to it. You might have to fool around to get the size you want.

:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone keeps saying that this is a major change. I have seen other knit patterns in the free one a day before. They don't do it often, but it does happen. The purse shown would be a breeze in single crochet...but I like it better just the way it is. :)

I have seen other knit patterns in the free one a day before. They don't do it often, but it does happen.

Really? Can you name a few since I don't remember any? I have nearly all of them saved but don't want to go through them. lol

The purse shown would be a breeze in single crochet...but I like it better just the way it is.

True but some were saying they wanted to do it but not knit it, so I was giving them an option.

I agree that this purse would be super easy to crochet. I also wonder if the flat knit strap would streatch out. It is really neat, and would probably be a good bag for me to practice knitting, which I have been trying to do. Normally I don't like pony beads, but with this bag they work for me...off to save/print pattern.

Really? Can you name a few since I don't remember any? I have nearly all of them saved but don't want to go through them. lol

True but some were saying they wanted to do it but not knit it, so I was giving them an option.

This is the FIRST time I've seen a knitted pattern in the Free Patterns a Day...I religiously check it daily and have so for a long time...so yeah, I'd like to know what other times they've popped in a knitted pattern before yesterday.

I have seen knitted patterns before and I have only been doing this for a couple of years. however, I am not going to go through all 10 of my CD's of saved patterns to find them (if I kept them) It is not like this one needs a pattern. :rofl

I really don't understand this sense of entitlement for crochet?!? seriously, what am I missing? :think

I have seen knitted patterns before and I have only been doing this for a couple of years. however, I am not going to go through all 10 of my CD's of saved patterns to find them (if I kept them) It is not like this one needs a pattern. :rofl

I really don't understand this sense of entitlement for crochet?!? seriously, what am I missing? :think

A knitting site that gives away knitting patterns had a bunch of knitters having a hissy fit several months back when they posted a crochet pattern. The knitters went off, saying they wanted knitting patterns and not crochet patterns. I read on some forum somewhere (dont remember where now) and the knitters were just so offended that that site dared to post a crochet pattern. Seemed like the majority of them had a lot of not-so-nice things to say about crochet.

So, really, it's not surprising that crocheters would react the same way to a knit pattern on a site that gives away free crochet patterns. Altho, I'm not seeing the same level of hissy fitty's that the knitters had. Their anger was off the charts. Here it just seems like it's a curiosity and I'm not seeing any anger at the knit pattern showing up.

You know it's NOT a matter of ENTITLEMENT to crochet...it's the fact that if there are other knitting patterns being offered on the Free Pattern of the Day on Annie's Attic, they are FEW AND FAR BETWEEN...so much so that it is seemingly a shock to the system when we see one...I don't care if they decide to have more knitting, or cross stitch or plastic canvas, if they are going to do that, I wish they would be more consistent about it. A better way, quite frankly is to simply offer each skill (they have different sections anyway) their own free day every freaking day...

It's NOT A MATTER OF ENTITLEMENT!

A knitting site that gives away knitting patterns had a bunch of knitters having a hissy fit several months back when they posted a crochet pattern. The knitters went off, saying they wanted knitting patterns and not crochet patterns. I read on some forum somewhere (dont remember where now) and the knitters were just so offended that that site dared to post a crochet pattern. Seemed like the majority of them had a lot of not-so-nice things to say about crochet.

So, really, it's not surprising that crocheters would react the same way to a knit pattern on a site that gives away free crochet patterns. Altho, I'm not seeing the same level of hissy fitty's that the knitters had. Their anger was off the charts. Here it just seems like it's a curiosity and I'm not seeing any anger at the knit pattern showing up.

It was Knitting Daily from Interweave which has knitting, crocheting and spinning magazines. Interweave has had there share of attacks lately with posting a crochet article on the web blog and then with copywrite. There had been some patterns that had been made available free of charge and then, boom gone. I remember the controversy well.

Cora

I thought it was odd because this was my first time seeing a knitting pattern for a free pattern.

Carol:hook

Why is it odd that it is a knitting pattern? I don't see anywhere on the web site that the free pattern is supposed to be exclusivly crochet. Annie's sells knitting patterns too...... Also, just because the pattern states crochet yarn....why can't you knit with it?

I have 354 patterns saved in a folder on my computer in PDF format. So, it may take me a day or so to go through all of them to find the Annie's Attic Patterns I'm talking about. But, I'll post them when I find them. :)

Blessed Be.

I agree that this purse would be super easy to crochet. I also wonder if the flat knit strap would streatch out. It is really neat, and would probably be a good bag for me to practice knitting, which I have been trying to do. Normally I don't like pony beads, but with this bag they work for me...off to save/print pattern.

haven't tested the garter stitch in a purse strap, but most of the discloths I do are garter, and the hold up fairly well wet. They do stretch a bit, I think as with anything else the size of the needles make a difference. My dishcloths with smaller needles hold shape better. Don't know if this helps but, as I said, no experience with purse straps, just dishcloths..:blush Another reason for me to try this one I think.:)

To Sylviaf, Knitting isn't very difficult, once you get the hang of it. The key is to relax with it. Good luck!

I've even taken classes. After the last effort, I successfully made a swatch then gave all of my supplies to my daughter who knits (and hates to crochet) and told her all knitting is her responsibility. I crochet, cross-stitch, sew and quilt. I figure the knitting world will be just fine without my presence!

As I said in my first post on here, I wrote to Annie's Attic right after I saw the knit pattern up, rather than a crochet pattern. It's not that I thought we who crochet have some exclusive right to free patterns. I just thought they goofed because I personally have never seen anything but crochet patterns put up on the daily free pattern.

The reply I received stated that they've received requests for knit and plastic canvas patterns to be offered, so it has been decided that once a week the pattern will not be crochet, but will be either knit or plastic craft.

As I said in my first post on here, I wrote to Annie's Attic right after I saw the knit pattern up, rather than a crochet pattern. It's not that I thought we who crochet have some exclusive right to free patterns. I just thought they goofed because I personally have never seen anything but crochet patterns put up on the daily free pattern.

The reply I received stated that they've received requests for knit and plastic canvas patterns to be offered, so it has been decided that once a week the pattern will not be crochet, but will be either knit or plastic craft.

And I think this is a great start...

I personally don't have a problem with that.

I thought it must be that knitters wanted free patterns offered on the daily free pattern too, since Annie's is not just a crochet site. We really can't blame them if that was the case. If the shoe were on the other foot I'd think it was unfair that the daily free patterns were always knit lol I'd be sending them a letter asking for fair treatment for crocheters. :yes

On the other hand, I love the daily free crochet pattern so I'm miss that it's not going to be every day, but it will still be nice to see some knit or other craft patterns. Maybe one will strike me to knit, who knows lol...I've not had any luck with knit so far but I can do basic stitches...I just didn't like doing it...too slow & awkward for me.

. Maybe one will strike me to knit, who knows lol...I've not had any luck with knit so far but I can do basic stitches...I just didn't like doing it...too slow & awkward for me.

I find knitting to be slow as well but it does things that crochet cannot do so for some things it is just the way to go... :sigh

The funny thing is that my Wild Cherries & Cream 18" doll outfit started so that I would have stuff to go with a knitted tunic style top. I am still knitting that tunic and the crochet version has been done, pictured, typed up and posted for a week. :rofl

I haven't done plastic canvas in years either (unless you count when I did some to "line" a tote). I think if they had a graph one that might work for graph crochet too. Same with cross stitch (maybe).

But if not, I might be tempted to do the craft (okay not knit, I also find it slow).

Debbi

One way to make knitting go quicker, is to get a pattern that uses size 17 needles. I've made afghans with these, and they go quicker, and are beautiful. You would double the thread. Some of the stuff I make is very slow to get done, but is so beautiful when finished...it's worth every single moment. Just some thoughts.

As far as the plastic canvas...if you have the right pattern, I adore it. :)

Blessed Be.

Archived