A different kind of charity project... FLDS yarn

Mommy2Max

I am an infrequent poster, but a longtime lurker, so hi to all who I don't get to talk to very often!

For those who are familiar with national news, I work for a law firm who is doing pro bono work for the FLDS children in Texas who were removed from the YFZ polygamist ranch several weeks ago. We represent 4 girls under the age of 18 who have been removed from their families.

Because of the nature of the attorney-client relationship, I cannot answer many questions about the case, but we have grown close to the girls that we represent and we have learned quite a lot about their lifestyle and the activities that they enjoy. Some of these activities include knitting and crocheting.

When we ask our clients what they want/need while they are in foster care, they frequently ask for yarn for themselves, for their siblings and friends. They make hats and scarves for the younger children and for the CPS workers in their care, and they work on blankets and other crochet and knitting projects to pass the time. These are not kids who watch television, play video games, etc. Their lives are devoted to prayer and working, but they are limited in the types of "work" that they can do while in foster care. Unlike many of today's youth, having nothing to do and boredom causes them anxiety. They always feel the need to be busy doing something.

I've been given the "go-ahead" by my Firm to see if we can organize a charity yarn project to collect yarn for the FLDS children to give them a way to feel productive during their time in foster care. I'm asking for anyone who has an extra skein of yarn lying around to pay it forward and pass it along so that we can collect yarn for the FLDS children. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. They will gladly accept any kind of yarn, including acrylic. Also, I have been told that they have plenty of crocheting/knitting supplies for everyone, they just need the yarn.

A couple of parameters: they are very sensitive about color selection. First and foremost, NO RED YARN OR ANY SHADES OF RED. They believe that red is Jesus' color, and they do not wear it, or decorate with it. They wear pastels only, pinks, blues, lavendars, yellows, etc., so any pastel yarn you have would be great.

Please don't feel the need to spend any big money on this project. Personally, I am going through all of my RHSS collection for pastel yarn. We would like to get a crate of yarn together to send to them in the next week or so, so if you have any extra that you are not using, please let me know.

Please PM me if you are interested in donating yarn to the FLDS children and I will be glad to provide you with my law firm name and address so that you can send me the yarn. I will be collecting it here at the firm.

A final note: My request for help on this charity project does not constitute any kind of approval or disapproval of any of the legal, moral, or ethical issues surrounding the FLDS cases. But I do sympathize with the fact that these children have been away from their homes for several weeks now, and would like to give them a little smile, and contribute to their daily "work."

I will answer as many questions as I can, but please know that there are things that I just cannot talk about regarding the legal issues, so I ask for your understanding in that regard.

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I just know that the ladies of the 'Ville will help out. :clap

Packages are starting to arrive and I am so excited! I will post below as your package is received...

1. Nicole R

2. Lisa M

3. Patty K

4. Linda K

5. Ann (Granny Annie)

6. Sherri C

7. Joyce M

8. Ricky M

9. Christina K

10. Debra W.

11. Sheree B.

LAST CALL FOR ANYONE WHO HAS SENT ME YARN!!!!! YARN IS BEING MAILED ON MONDAY JUNE 16TH, SO IF I HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOURS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP!!!!!!!

Thank you SO much to all who participate! I really appreciate your help!

What a wonderful thing you are doing for these children. Even if we agree/disagree with their religious beliefs, they are still kids and they are probably scared about what is going to happen in the future.

I pray that the love that is shown to them now is something they will carry with them in the future.

I think what you are doing is absolutely wonderful and I will gladly look through my stash and see what I can send you. Might have to wait till the weekend as I am babysitting a 1 yr old for a couple days and I definitely don't want her tangled up in all that yarn. LOL Might be able to get to it sooner though. Is there a specific date you need it by??

Debby

I can go through my stash......should have something to get out. Please PM your address. Please take care of these children.

Linda

I've sent everyone a PM with my Firm's address.... Thanks so much for everyone's interest and help! Keep 'em coming! :hug:hug:hug

This is actually a blessing for me! I have a closet that I am cleaning today that is full of yarn! I don't like pastels too much and have a lot of it. If you will send me the information I will box and send it to you. Thanks for YOUR help in my closet clean out :lol

Diane in Louisiana

I just sent some more PMs to those who have requested the address. I am so excited! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I would also love to help with this. 2 questions for you, first what is the deadline to mail out or be received by you? second can I share this with a few others that I know will want to help as well?

this is a good thing that you are doing to help these children:manyheart

lord bless you:manyheart

:hug:hug

sissie

Sissie, I just PM'd you the address.

I would like for everything to be mailed by next Wednesday, June 4th. If for some reason you can't get it to me by then, PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Also, if you have any non-'Ville yarn stashers that you'd like to pass this along to, that would be great! The more help the better!!

Thanks for your help!!!

I would also love to help with this. 2 questions for you, first what is the deadline to mail out or be received by you? second can I share this with a few others that I know will want to help as well?

this is a good thing that you are doing to help these children:manyheart

lord bless you:manyheart

sissie

ok great! I am passing it along :cheer:cheer

did not post your address told everyone that wanted to help to let me know and I would give them your address privately:manyheart

I will let you know what kind of help you have coming:manyheart

Do you still want the yarn even with them all going back home to their familys?

I've had several PMs regarding yesterday's Texas Supreme Court decision to return the children to their families.

Despite the decision, we are likely several days, or even a couple of weeks away from actually seeing any children returned to the YFZ Ranch. My Firm has decided that we are still going to send the yarn that we receive, and if the children are still in foster care when we ship it out, that is where we will send it. If the children have been sent home by that point, we will send the yarn to the Ranch.

When/if the children (all or some) DO go back, it will likely be in stages. They are not going to ship 400+ children home all on the same day. If that is the case, the yarn will be sent directly to the children in foster care, since they are the ones who need it the most.

I hope this answers your questions, but please let me know if you have any others.

Thank you SO much... I have received an overwhelming response to this charity project and I am so grateful!!!!! I KNEW the ladies of the 'Ville would come through!!

Also, as I start receiving boxes, I will start a list of donors and update it as I receive things, so that you can make sure that I have your package. Thank you again!!!!

Thanks for answering the question. I'm sure that anyone not aware of the system and how it works would've been confused (heck, I know a bit and I still wasn't certain). I'm glad to know you'll still be able to get the yarn to the kids.

Joyce

I've had several PMs regarding yesterday's Texas Supreme Court decision to return the children to their families.

Despite the decision, we are likely several days, or even a couple of weeks away from actually seeing any children returned to the YFZ Ranch. My Firm has decided that we are still going to send the yarn that we receive, and if the children are still in foster care when we ship it out, that is where we will send it. If the children have been sent home by that point, we will send the yarn to the Ranch.

When/if the children (all or some) DO go back, it will likely be in stages. They are not going to ship 400+ children home all on the same day. If that is the case, the yarn will be sent directly to the children in foster care, since they are the ones who need it the most.

I hope this answers your questions, but please let me know if you have any others.

Thank you SO much... I have received an overwhelming response to this charity project and I am so grateful!!!!! I KNEW the ladies of the 'Ville would come through!!

Also, as I start receiving boxes, I will start a list of donors and update it as I receive things, so that you can make sure that I have your package. Thank you again!!!!

Archived