Wanna play with filet?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you, LeAnna. Elizabeth is fine and I am back home. The doctor gave her two antibiotics, one of which was a huge dose of 4 pills all at once, right at the start. Then she began the second antibiotic a few hours later. She started to feel better within hours. He said she had every symptom of appendicitis but that these drugs just might work for her — and thankfully, they have. Her 29th birthday is tomorrow and she is so pleased to NOT be celebrating it in recovery from surgery!

Manda, do you have pictures of your finished Daffodil runner? I plan to not do more than a few rows a day. My hands just can't take it. Sounds like you really had a push going there.

I do, if you see my blog and go to the Gallery - its in stages there. I began to run out of puff 2/3rd of the way through and had to really really force myself to the end.

And all good thoughts to Elizabeth!! I had my appendix out after a week of trying to convince doctors that I was in pain. I had a folded and gangrenous appendix and the doctor had told me an hour before I went in for surgery that I was probably just ovulating....

My little grandbaby kept me busy yesterday and by the time he went home in the evening I ws so tired that I went to bed, so I did not pick up my hook at all yesterday. I am tired this evening but I plan on working on my filet pattern after I take a short little nap. Hugs:hug

I'm off to Munich in a few hours and will be gone until Monday. I will be taking some crocheting with me, but probably not filet (but who knows, maybe I will...) Hope you all have a great weekend.

It sounds like you ladies are coming right along! Welcome to all the new members since last week!! It is great to have so much experience here!!

I have truly struggled with my project this week. I stitch 3 rows, frog 2, stitch 3, frog 2. I think I have netted maybe 3 rows this week. Reading the chart makes me go cross-eyed! I can remember which row I'm on. What is tough is remembering where in the row I am! Ugh!! So, I'm not posting any pics this week.

I did have one happy moment with the doily this week. I purchased my thread from my LYS out of a clearance bin. Now that I'm progressing with the project, I'm realizing I'm going to be short on thread. PANIC I was able to find the thread online, though, at about half what i got it from my LYS! I'll have to talk to them about "clearance prices"! LOL

I hope everyone has a blessed Memorial Day (US) weekend!

Patty

Good morning! I may not get to post a picture today. :( My husband has the camera for this morning and I think this afternoon might be too busy to mess with it. Very sorry. I'm not nearly as far along as I had hoped to be but some weeks are like that.

Manda, thanks for the link to your daffodil filet. That is exactly what I think I am going to do: finish the top border after only one spray of flowers. I saw that you had it at a fair or contest of some sort? And... the docs wouldn't believe you had appendicitis? Wow. (That's not a good "wow", either.)

Have a good trip, LeAnna!

Patty, I'm sorry you're struggling with this. It can be really hard to keep up with a large chart and I am the worst at reading a row off one way or another. That's why I've tried to help myself along by highlighting every 10th vertical row with yellow. Then to match that with my work, I used a #5 thread in a contrasting color to lightly weave in and out of the same vertical rows in my filet so I am counting sections now instead of individual blocks. It's a lot easier. Last night I started coloring across the just finished horizontal row (once I know it is finished correctly) to help me keep up that way, too. This is a pattern off the Internet so if I should choose to use it again I can print off another piece. If I were working from a book, I would make a photocopy of the chart and mark the copy at my discretion. I hope that helps some.

I have a question. Those of you who crochet with yarn then switch to thread -- do you have problems with your tension?

I am finding myself crocheting WAY too tight with the smaller hook and the #10 thread. My other project is a baby blanket with an F hook, so it's not a HUGE difference.

Any suggestions? Is it better to crochet filet loose or tight? This is my first attempt. So far I am just swatching for practice. I am warming up for the "Games" in August.

Is anyone else in training?

I have a question. Those of you who crochet with yarn then switch to thread -- do you have problems with your tension?

I am finding myself crocheting WAY too tight with the smaller hook and the #10 thread. My other project is a baby blanket with an F hook, so it's not a HUGE difference.

Any suggestions? Is it better to crochet filet loose or tight? This is my first attempt. So far I am just swatching for practice. I am warming up for the "Games" in August.

unfortunately i crochet fairly tight no matter what i use. I think it is jsut a matter of getting adjusted. Something that I find helps...comfort grips on my thread hooks(still hoping for motion magique hook set) ntil then i try to make my thread hook handles as close to the handle size of my yarn hooks seems to help me.

Maybe you could try a larger size hook, mariallen. What size are you using with your #10 thread, by the way?

But I know what you mean. I was too tight on my first doily due to my misunderstanding — I thought I was supposed to crochet very tightly. After several rows I realized my mistake but it was either frog the whole thing or keep on, so I kept on. I've seen a number of "vintage" threadwork pieces done more loosely than I care to work. I guess a medium tension is what I go for now.

Kind of late in the day here, but I finally managed to post a progress shot. As I have said, I didn't get much done this week. Maybe next week?

DaffodilRunner2.jpg

And here is one of my marked up chart. I just started coloring the row I finished.

DaffodilChartMarked.jpg

Uh Oh, we have to post pics weekly?

This is meant for a gift for a fellow Ville person, so I really don't want to put up a pic til I know she has it.

Post if you can and want to. There is no real rule, HappyOldCro. I think there are several joining this CAL who cannot post pictures for one reason or another. It's nice if you can but it's no biggie!

Kind of late in the day here, but I finally managed to post a progress shot. As I have said, I didn't get much done this week. Maybe next week?

DaffodilRunner2.jpg

And here is one of my marked up chart. I just started coloring the row I finished.

that looks terrific so far!!!!!:cheer

I like what you're doing with the coloured thread as a stitch marker to keep track - definitely something for me to try!!!

Manda

Manda, thanks for the link to your daffodil filet. That is exactly what I think I am going to do: finish the top border after only one spray of flowers. I saw that you had it at a fair or contest of some sort? And... the docs wouldn't believe you had appendicitis? Wow. (That's not a good "wow", either.)

hi - yes! I put it into Canberra Royal Agricultural Show, that's our big State show. I'm going to enter the Filet that I've worked out for the Greek Games (Go Team Mignon!!) next year. I'm really looking forward to the Games startingso I can get cracking!!

I was lucky with the appendicitis in the end - they removed it by laparoscopy so I was back on my feet the day after.

The Daffodils go much faster once you start the centre details!

I am using a #7 per the pattern. I will try moving up. I have all the way up to a #4. My weekend is devoted to finishing a couple of baby blankets, but in between I want to swatch some on the filet.

I love the way you mark the sections with the blue thread! I am definitely going to do that when I make the wall hanging.

My family is getting excited about the "games". They wanted to know if I will get a medal! I think I am going to have quite a cheering section here. :cheer

I hope you can use the thread idea, ladies! I have to admit it was my brilliant husband's brainstorm! He watched me mark the chart then said I needed to mark the filet with some yarn or something to match the chart. I'm finding it to be a huge help. :D

Mari, if you have already gotten a lot done with the #7 hook you probably can't change more than one hook size on your piece (if that) but you know next time to go a bit larger. Or maybe you will just develop your tension as you get used to thread and find the 7 hook to be fine. Time will tell.

Here is the pattern I am working on. I'm probably about 20% done, having started at the bottom. I'll post a photo one of these days!

LastScan.jpg

Thanks Carla, I am still swatching for the games. Lots of time to try different size hooks.

Birdlady, love the peacock!

I have pics I want to post, but have to go read the rules first. Not sure if I am allowed to yet, since I'm just a JV.

Everything looks so pretty. I am on row 5 of the main part of my filet shawl. There are 96 rows to the main center piece and an additional 24 rows for the shaping plus a border.

I am not too sure about the yarn I am using and may wind up frogging and using something else, but want to wait til about row 10 to be sure.

between waves of pain from squashed foot ( I dropped one of DH's DJ speakers on my foot while opening the hatch of the van to wash the windows) i got about three more rows done in the ER yesterday while waiting my turn for x-ray...ER doc says not broken...i am not confident I plan on calling my doc tomorrow to make sure the radiologist agreed.

I'll be on a 3 hour train ride to Munich this weekend, where are you going to?

I'm back now! No internet access while I was gone, but oh well--I was busy, anyway. I was in Zielona Gora, in the far western part of Poland. It was in the part that was Germany prior to WWII, so lots of German architecture. I was lucky to get a ride home in a car instead of taking the train again, and we road on a highway that had been built by Adolf Hitler's road crews, and only modernized about 5 years ago!

I snapped a progress picture this evening of my filet project--I'll try to get it uploaded tomorrow.

There is some beautiful work going on here! I love the daffodil runner. One of these days I'll have to make one.

That peacock is going to be incredible! I can't wait to see it finished.

Archived