Wanna play with filet?

Is anyone interested in working filet with me? I started a large piece on Saturday night and I think I'm going to need encouragement to keep it moving along. This is my first real filet although I have messed around with a filet-type header for some lace before. I really hope some experienced filet workers will join in to help those of us who have questions.

Any interest?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Carla, I'm game. I have a couple of filet projects going at the moment and this thread might help me get them finished. One is a name/wedding date filet that's a wedding present for my brother and his soon to be wife. I designed it myself. Another is an old project from a couple of years ago of a peacock from one of the Priscilla books on Filet Crochet. It's about 1/4 completed. Then I have a teeny little sampler piece of a dancing kitty. It came from a major design I did up a week ago.

I'm almost done with the sampler piece, and half done with the name piece (that one has to be finished and in the mail by end of July...)

So yeah, I'm game...looking forward to seeing what you're doing.

I could use some encouragement to finish a filet project that is just past the halfway mark. I tested the pattern for Katchkan's Gypsy Queen runner, but since the pattern as written is half the work, which is then turned around and worked a second time the other way...well, I set it aside while I had company for 3 weeks, and somehow haven't picked it up since. It MUST be finished, so...

I'll join in for some encouragement to keep moving on that project. I even have a marvelous new 1mm hook to play with, which ought to make it more interesting. (I'm using size 30 thread.) What is your project, Carla?

This post is such great timing! :clap I found a pattern a few months ago, found the yarn for it last week and bought the hook for it just yesterday. I don't know that the pattern is that traditional, intricate filet, but it does say it is a filet patten and I'd love to work on it with this group. Please count me in!

Patty

Oh, excellent! I thought there might be some interest but then, you never know... LeAnna, you sound quite experienced with all those projects going. Karen, your piece is like mine: do it once, turn it around and do it again. I'm wondering why I chose such a big piece to begin with, except that I love the finished product. Patty, I think the techniques are the same whether in yarn or thread. Traditional or un-, who cares? Very glad you ladies want to play!

As for what I am making — deep breath — I chose Hugo Kirchmaier's Daffodil Table Runner, as re-charted by Sandi Marshall on About.com. It is enormous and probably a bit too ambitious for a first filet, but honestly, once you get the first few rows set up it's just double crochets and chains until your tongue hangs out or your wrists give up, whichever comes first. :lol I think my problem will be sticking with it. I'm using Cébélia #20 in Blanc (white) with a #9 hook. I'm concerned that I might have to add blank rows in the middle of the daffodil sprays to make it long enough to drape over the edges of my dining table. We'll see.

Any links to what you girls are doing?

I can share my brother's name/date chart (my design) and the little cat, but the peacock will have to wait until I'm done with it...

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZuHDlwyaqKKI

The charts for the lighthouse and the cat are in the link...as they are my designs, I give permission for you to save to your computer, but please don't sell the charts...

i would like to do this, but i am not quite sure how to follow the charts...

There are several great sites that can help you learn how to do filet crochet...

One in particular is http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa050298.htm

Explains it all...if you have a good chart that has the row and column numbers, once you get going it's really easy to follow.

Nice charts, LeAnna. I really like your lighthouse.

Gina, so glad you are interested! After several questions on the thread forum I thought some other people might be like me and want to learn this. The charts aren't hard. Since your work will probably be turned to crochet back across the row you need to know that odd rows are worked from right to left; even rows are worked from left to right, the same way you read English. If you can keep up with that and can count, then you're in business!

Here are some filet tutorial/directions to add to the one LeAnna provided.

Smart Crochet Filet Tutorial

Sand Castle Designs Tutorial

Crochet Cabana Tutorial

Hass Design Tutorial

I will join up I am designing tons of filet but at this point all they are are designs...I have to make them and then post for testers if i am ever going to sell them. So i will start with my newest one that i am calling rose window..My plan do it once in all white (traditional) then try to do multi color. I could use encouragement and i can surely give advice if needed.

I will join up I am designing tons of filet but at this point all they are are designs...I have to make them and then post for testers if i am ever going to sell them. So i will start with my newest one that i am calling rose window..My plan do it once in all white (traditional) then try to do multi color. I could use encouragement and i can surely give advice if needed.

Do you use a software to design your filets? I do...I bought the software from Sand Castle Designs...it's really great. And if you do it that way, you don't necessarily have to to work it up in crochet before calling for testers...

Do you use a software to design your filets? I do...I bought the software from Sand Castle Designs...it's really great. And if you do it that way, you don't necessarily have to to work it up in crochet before calling for testers...

That is the one i use but I use an extended double crochet so I want to make sure it is workable and my designs are not always symmetrical so i need to be sure I am writing directions so that the graph is followed the right way especially when I start with the multi colored ones. i also use this program for simple graphgahns (or pillows) I have printed my graph and am starting right now. Also I never design anything that i will not make myself and usually design for an event or gift. I am working on something to be donated to the Jimmy Fund or the Red Sox foundation i just have to wait to hear from Major League Baseball to make sure I can use the logos

Chrissy, I had to google extended double crochet to know what you are talking about.

EDC (from the Cabana Crochet Dictionary ): yo, insert hook into stitch, yo, pull through stitch (3 lps on hk), yo, pull through 1 loop, (still have 3 lps on hk) yo, pull through 2 lps, (2 lps on hk), yo, pull through remaining 2 loops.

What is the advantage of extended double crochet? I really hope to further my crochet knowledge from you advanced crocheters as well as have a pretty filet piece when I'm done!

Chrissy, I had to google extended double crochet to know what you are talking about.

EDC (from the Cabana Crochet Dictionary ): yo, insert hook into stitch, yo, pull through stitch (3 lps on hk), yo, pull through 1 loop, (still have 3 lps on hk) yo, pull through 2 lps, (2 lps on hk), yo, pull through remaining 2 loops.

What is the advantage of extended double crochet? I really hope to further my crochet knowledge from you advanced crocheters as well as have a pretty filet piece when I'm done!

the advantage is that your "squares" are actually square it makes it a smidge taller stitch that more closely matches the width of the block your stitches "lean" less

That is the one i use but I use an extended double crochet so I want to make sure it is workable and my designs are not always symmetrical so i need to be sure I am writing directions so that the graph is followed the right way especially when I start with the multi colored ones. i also use this program for simple graphgahns (or pillows) I have printed my graph and am starting right now. Also I never design anything that i will not make myself and usually design for an event or gift. I am working on something to be donated to the Jimmy Fund or the Red Sox foundation i just have to wait to hear from Major League Baseball to make sure I can use the logos

I have so many ideas in my head that make it to the graph software that I'll never be able to make all of them...but I can make portions of them and have testers test out the graphs too. I don't consider this cheating...there are designers out there that have an idea (say for glass blowing, I just watched a wonderful dvd about a master glassblower from Washington State who doesn't blow glass himself anymore, but has a team that implements his designs.) That being said, yes, I would make as many of my designs (especially filet) as possible...

And I've used that extended dc and it's nice...I used it in one of Katchekan's designs.

I worked on the dancing cat and will have it done tonight.

I do want to share what I do with most of my filet work: I personally like to do a 3 dc mesh...but I can never get my tension tight enough for the solid block to show up like I want...so what I do for the solid squares is 1 dc, 2dc cluster, 1 dc...it really makes the design stand out.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZuHDlwyaqKMQ

This is my last completed filet...it's big, very, very big and designed the old fashioned way...literally coloring in graph paper by hand and cut and pasting clip art...but it's done in 3dc mesh with my 1 dc, 2dc cluster, 1 dc for the solid blocks...

It will be framed to hang over our bed when we move home to the states later this year...

I'm game! :clap I'm about 20 rows into a HUGE antique peacock pattern. I'm using #10 blue DMC Traditions thread. It's 123 meshes across and 178 meshes high. I'm a slow crocheter so it takes about an hour to complete one row!

I check off each finished row with a yellow magic marker and a ballpoint pen to mark whether I'm going left to right or vice versa. As careful as I try to be, I've already made some mistakes. But I'm going forward and gradually backing out of the mistakes.

I use a technique i learned when crocss stitch was my craft addiction of choice...i use a huighlighter to highlight each stitch (Block) with arrows in pencil to indicate which direction...that way you can still see the blocks, easily can see which row and can see it if you want to do it again. I used to color in with a pencil and erase when finished but that often erased the design as well or if it was my own hand drawn design it would erase the x's i used and bye bye design

The pattern I am using isn't nearly so ambitious as others I have seen posted. Here is a link to it:

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?prod_id=1278

It is shown made with thread, but I am using a thread/yarn I found at a LYS. It is a cotton, acrylic, nylon blend that is about 2.5 times as thick as #10 crochet thread. I am in the process of decorating a bedroom for my little girls and want to crochet this to hang on the wall.

I know it's not very intricate, but I'm hoping this first attempt at filet will give me confidence to try something bigger next time. Your designs are so beautiful. I'd love to feel like I could undertake one of those! Thank you to everyone who has posted tips and links. I'm really looking forward to doing this together!

Patty

At last I can try my hands at filet crochet again. I took the beginner filet class given here at the "VILLE" and I have not done any filet projects on my own. This CAL will give me an opportunity to do that. The pattern that I have been dying to work on is found in a Leisure Arts little books called Filet Crochet. I will be working on a wall hanging of praying hands.

Hugs :hook

Do ya'll mind if I 'eye'drop on this CAL? I'm already thinking about the filet swap later this year (first time it's been offered on the 'ville), and how to structure it, etc. I absolutely love the designs everyone has picked, and Chrissy and eurolyons, your tips are so useful. I'm not sure I have time to join, although I have the thread for tulip curtains I want to make for my dining room; maybe I should dig it out and start.

Someone want to offer some tips on blocking large filet items to me? I am terrified of blocking, don't ask me why.

Patty

Do ya'll mind if I 'eye'drop on this CAL? I'm already thinking about the filet swap later this year (first time it's been offered on the 'ville), and how to structure it, etc. I absolutely love the designs everyone has picked, and Chrissy and eurolyons, your tips are so useful. I'm not sure I have time to join, although I have the thread for tulip curtains I want to make for my dining room; maybe I should dig it out and start.

Someone want to offer some tips on blocking large filet items to me? I am terrified of blocking, don't ask me why.

Patty

if you have a carpeted area that is not too high traffic you could lay out a sheet and pin to the floor, i also have cork tiles on my wall andblock some things there. Up until I jined crochetville i actually never officially blocked anything.I folded it "square and then ironed it flat.

I just looked at the dates for the filet swap cause it is on my limited swap list and i am glad that Summer Camp willbe mmostly over by then and that it will finish befpre autumn secret pals

Archived