Wanna play with filet?

Hi everyone just wanted to let you know that I am still around, but I am at the moment taking classess on the Ville so I have not had the time to work on my filet project. It is sitting patiently in its bag waiting for me to resume working on it. As soon as my classess are over I can get back to the few WIP that I have waiting for me to work on. Hope everyone is enjoying their filet projects. Hugs and blessings :hug

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! I just found this thread today! :) I'm taking the basic filet class from katchcan since I haven't tried filet before. I wanted to take the class before starting on her filet butterfly shawl pattern.

We're making a couple small samplers in class to start with. I'm almost done with the 2nd one. So far, so good. And not as intimidating as I thought it would be. To me, filet crochet always looked awfully complicated and I was afraid I would lose myself in the charts and get everything off and all wonky. But I'm motivated to give it a try because I just LOVE that shawl!! I will brave marking chart rows and checking for mistakes in order to be able to complete that pattern! :)

We just started class on Friday...so another few days to go. Then I'll start on a small trial project to make sure I've really "got it'' -- and then, I've got several balls of DMC in white, and silver thread to go with it to make my butterfly shawl!! :)

I'll just lurk here until class is over and I actually start on something. Then I'll actually have something to share. I really enjoyed seeing the photos of everyone's filet-in-progress!

Hugs! Juli

Slow going, but I did do about 5 rows on the filet. I really need to light a fire under my backside and get seriously busy with it!

Hi Juli...that's great that you're taking Katchkan's class...filet's not bad once you get past the foundation chain.

Nice to have you here!

Still working on my huge peacock filet, but I'm also reading a book I really like :book, so crochet is on the back burner part of the time. Still, I might be close to a third finished. I really do have to post a photo, I know.....

Hello, friends. We're back! We really had a good visit with my husband's family. It had been 15 years since we attended a family reunion and we've just got to do better than that. The next is in two years so we must make our plans now to go. No, I didn't crochet much at all. I find it a hard to do tiny work like thread in the car and following a chart is impossible in a crowd, so I stuck to knitted dishcloths.

In the meantime, it seems as if everyone is slowly moving along. I am excited to hear busy-bee-lmt and from craftimama! I hope you both join this CAL and show us your stuff! Juli, I've been wondering when someone might start Katchkan's shawl. That's a lovely pattern.

Well, it's been a while, but finally, here is my finished Gypsy Queen runner.

2592607344_b98837dfc8.jpg

I'm really debating about signing up for the Filet Swap. Any of you doing that one? Filet is so time-consuming, and it's during Holidays in July, which I kind of want to play around with...and I just finished this rather large filet project.

Decisions, decisions...

I'm really debating about signing up for the Filet Swap. Any of you doing that one? Filet is so time-consuming, and it's during Holidays in July, which I kind of want to play around with...and I just finished this rather large filet project.

Decisions, decisions...

I signed up for the filet swap... have been planning it for some time. Filet is time consuming but smaller projects work up quickly...of course i do design my own so i make them the size i want. I put aside my big white one to work on a smaller colored filet for my summer secret pal. There are lots of smaller items out there.

Decisions, decisions...

It's beautiful! :yes

ooops--forgot the details.

I used Altin Basak 50, which I think is similar to Cebelia size 30, and a size 1mm hook. It's about 12x18 inches--not huge, but very thin and fine because of the thread.

Karen - Thank you for showing us your project. It's just beautiful! And, thank you for sharing with us what thread you used. I'm learning about threads and yarns still, and it's helpful to see what others are using.

I haven't posted much due to vacation and other parts are life taking a front seat to crochet work. A dear friend of mine's breast cancer has returned making it a hectic time with doctors appointments, school out, and the emotional wear and tear. If you remember her, please pray for her and her family.

My initial filet project is done and has been for some time. I just hadn't blocked it. Well, it is blocked and am hoping to get some pics up this weekend or early next week. I hope everyone has a blessed weekend!!

Patty

Hi, Patty. It really IS a busy time right now, isn't it? I am sorry to hear about your friend and hope she beats her cancer even yet. There is a young woman at church (24 years old) who has been expected to die with what started as renal cancer. So far she is hanging in there but I am certain it is only by the grace of God. It is so hard to watch people you care about sicken.

I, myself, won't have a progress report/picture today either. I still haven't recovered fully from my trip. My husband had to quickly return to work and I think he's pretty tired too — he went to bed last night at 9:15! We'll both catch up sooner or later.

Hope everyone is having a good week and that you look forward to a pleasant weekend!

Afternoon, ladies! I hope each of you is enjoying your filet project. I wanted to let you know that I can't work on mine much for a while. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel this morning and put into a splint. My doctor never asked me what I have been doing to irritate my wrist and I didn't volunteer my crafting history :blush so I wasn't specifically told to back off the crafts, but I've been in enough pain to want to back off for myself. I hate to say it on a crochet board but crochet hurts my hand(s) more than knitting does and I think the threadwork I love is definitely part of the problem. For the sake of my poor wrist I must put my filet aside for a while.

In the meantime, I plan to check into this thread daily to cheer on the rest of you. It is such a pleasure to see a few project pictures here and there, especially when they're finished and done so beautifully! Keep the hooks flying!

Aww, Carla, that is just too bad. I'm really sorry to hear you're in pain--I've had bouts of *mild* carpal tunnel, and it is so painful. Do you think (eventually) working with hooks that have larger handles would help? I don't have problems crocheting (as yet), but I have a couple of new hooks with plastic handles the size of a J hook, and they are so comfortable to use. Or you could try building up the handle with polymer clay. I've heard that it's good to crochet a bit while the clay is wet, so the handle actually molds into the shape of your hand--then bake and harden it.

Anyway, I hope you find something interesting to do while you have to let your crafts go (ouch). I'm done with my current project, but still checking in here to see how everyone else is coming along.

I just had to frog about four rows of my peacock filet. There was no way around it as the mistake was in an important part of the geometric border. Darn it! That's at least four hours worth of work!

Karen, it is my left hand which is afflicted, not the right one which holds the hook. I am sure I hold it in a cramped position with the work in that left hand. Well, the right one hurts a little, too, but nothing like the left.

Birdlady, that is the pits. It can be discouraging to frog all those hours away, but I always tell myself that I want things right and although it doesn't look like it, the frogging truly means progress, too!

I finished one thing i was making. I just have to take a picture. then i will post it here and to find a tester or two for it. It is a small piece very simple and perfect for a beginner. Hopefully tomorrow i will be ready to at least post a picture.

Chrissy, it looks good! I agree that we could see it better on a white background, maybe, but the rose design is very pretty and classic! Please tell us which yarns/threads/hooks/etc. you used. I love having the specs. Congratulations on your finished filet!

ok here goes...I used size 10 Aunt Lydia's Classic Corchet Cotton in purple a size 1.75mm hook it took me about three days total to make the whole pillow and i have posted for testers here this picture is better (should be clicky)

th_rosepillow.jpg

Hi everyone. I've been MIA. I got my brother's invite in the mail today, so I really have to get with the program and finish up that name/wedding date for their wedding present and get it in the mail. They'll be married in about 7 to 8 weeks.

In other filet news, I designed a shawl graph and have been working on that as well.

Been feeling a bit scattered. But I'll get with the program.

Chrissy...very nice...

Birdlady, I'm sorry you had to frog some of your peacock filet. I did several rows of my shawl and had to frog the entire thing and start over because the measurements where way off. Oh well.

Hi to everyone! I'll try not to be scarce.

Carla (Homekeeping Gran) sent me an email to let me know she's having some serious computer and internet problems. She won't be able to visit Crochetville until and unless the problems are resolved, and she asked me to let all of you know why she'll be MIA for a bit.

Keeping making those blocks and meshes so she'll have lots of progress to see when she gets back!

Carla (Homekeeping Gran) sent me an email to let me know she's having some serious computer and internet problems. She won't be able to visit Crochetville until and unless the problems are resolved, and she asked me to let all of you know why she'll be MIA for a bit.

Keeping making those blocks and meshes so she'll have lots of progress to see when she gets back!

Oh Wah about the computer problems...thanks for letting us know K...

Oh WOW!!! That is fantastic! Great job! :yay:clap:yay

ok here goes...I used size 10 Aunt Lydia's Classic Corchet Cotton in purple a size 1.75mm hook it took me about three days total to make the whole pillow and i have posted for testers here this picture is better (should be clicky)

th_rosepillow.jpg

It's lovely, Chrissy! :yay:clap:yay

I have completed the pattern for my filet crochet pattern and at my best friend's urging started it yesterday. I've got 14 rows done so far. It's working up well and I really like how I did the pattern. I plan on making this one for the couple I live with, John & Kim. And if it goes well, I'll make a second one just like it for John's parents. They'll be Christmas presents so I've got some time to do them. I'll get pictures and specifics later today. I plan on taking this project with me on a trip next month as it will be far more portable than most of my quiltghan projects. More later.

Archived