Got some OLD yarn!

We went to a friend of my aunt's today. I took a cone of cotton and tried to make scrubbies. (I hate making scrubbies, but they're simple, and the cotton was cheap.) Wel i was working on it, and Terri (Aunt's friend) asked me if I needed yarn.

:devil

So I got a bunch... havn;t counted skiens, but I'd guess at least ten skiens.

This stuff used to be 94 cents a skien, and is from Kmart.

Old stuff.... but handles like redheart super saver.

I got a lot of organce and yellow and brown, so I'm making a simple afghan.

Brand name: Knitting Worsted Type Sayelle

Have fun. But I think working with that old acrylic would be awful (breaking and splitting).

Actually its holding up great, no breakge, very little fraying.

Its such good yarn, I petted it, even if it is a little scratchy.

@coolhockeymom-

I have no clue, my mom says they used to, but that they didn't by the time i was born (About twenty years ago.... darn i'm old!) This yarn not only has Kmart price tage, but the Kmart logo ont he yarn wrapper itself.

:lol

If you didn't know Kmart carried yarn in the olden days this is going to blow your mind; Sears, Mervyn's, Montgomery Wards and Target, to name a few, also carried yarn. Target used to have sales where the yarn was 66 cents a skein. Imagine! :lol

We went to a friend of my aunt's today. I took a cone of cotton and tried to make scrubbies. (I hate making scrubbies, but they're simple, and the cotton was cheap.) Wel i was working on it, and Terri (Aunt's friend) asked me if I needed yarn.

:devil

So I got a bunch... havn;t counted skiens, but I'd guess at least ten skiens.

This stuff used to be 94 cents a skien, and is from Kmart.

Old stuff.... but handles like redheart super saver.

I got a lot of organce and yellow and brown, so I'm making a simple afghan.

Brand name: Knitting Worsted Type Sayelle

I bet you'll like it:) I have some vintage KMart yarn, Magic Match and it handles like Simply Soft, looks like it to. Today I received another skein of it, very pretty pink, 8 oz skein. I love it:)

If you didn't know Kmart carried yarn in the olden days this is going to blow your mind; Sears, Mervyn's, Montgomery Wards and Target, to name a few, also carried yarn. Target used to have sales where the yarn was 66 cents a skein. Imagine! :lol

I knew Kmart used to, but didn't Sears did untill I received some yarn still in the original pack, about 6 of them, still wrapped, very nice yarn too:)

Yes, it is old. I'm 62 and they had it when I was a teenager. I found some in my mom's stash after she past away. I couldn't help but smile at the .94 price for 4 oz of yarn.

Sayelle should work up nicely. The Sayelle I used to use was Orlon acrylic and was soft, worked up great, and it washed and dried without any problems. It wore like iron.

My grandmother gave me some that she found at a yard sale/auction last summer! It is a bit itchy (but like Red Heart, some more than others IMO) but it still serves its purpose. :yes Maybe like Red Heart, a little fabric softener will straighten that right out! :think

Sayelle yarn was one of the first synthetic yarns that was heavily advertized as washable and driable and it "bounced" back. I have lots of old magazines with the ads in them. I used a few old skeins and had no troubles with it.

Okay, I'm 20 years old and sayelle is my favorite yarn. I've bought quite a bit from garage sales over the years ( my yarn addiction started when I was about 13-14).

When my parents moved, I found yarn from Zayers (gone 30+ years) in the attic. Original price 89 cents, on sale 69 cents! Right now I'm using Fashion Knit from Ames (also gone many years :lol). I remember when RH SS was 8 oz. and under $2 a skein :sigh. Some times I get RAOK'd with yarn I've never heard of before. Oh well, yarn is yarn and you can never have too much :lol.

Ellie 13

This post really caught my attention!! I knew about K-mart but the other stores?? I am afraid to ask when? :lol

K-Mart carried yarn in the 90's... not a lot, but I bought yarn there when I was taking care of an elderly couple at night and wanted something to do while they slept. I don't remember what brand it was but I bought enough to make a mile-a-minute afghan and matching pillow... pretty stuff, pink, cream and light green.

Don't know about the other stores, but I'm sure they did back then. My mother ordered a lot of stuff from MW, Sears, and Penney's catalogs when I was growing up, and my grandmother crocheted, so I assume she bought her thread somewhere like that. Probably the five&dime stores had yarn and cotton thread as well.

Archived