Is there anything you just can't seem to 'get right'?

I'm still fairly new to crochet, but I'm wondering if there's anything you 'pro' crocheters have run across that you just can't seem to get down pat, or have trouble with? I seem to have a real problem with socks and slippers...I've been trying a couple different patterns and so far, and have failed miserably! My mom, who I consider to be a pro, preaches that enough patience and practice can eventually get any crochet project done. Just wondering if she's right, or if I'm destined to be a failure at socks/slippers!

Gauge is one. Mostly because with blankets I don't worry too much about gauge, I make it as big as I want it. There was a pattern I tried once, it's a diamond look and several of the stitches are done almost like a post going down the preceeding rows. I couldn't do it because it was sc's and I had the hardest time finding the sc I was supposed to be stitching on/into.

I have a beautiful ripple pattern, I can't for the life of me figure it out. I have done several other ripples, but the one my little sister wanted for her wedding present I can't figure out!!:eek So far it is the only pattern I haven't figured out!! I am going to try it again this winter. Keep practicing it will get better!!:yes

The only thing that still defeats me is the bullion stitch. I have to pull the loops over one by one, just can't do the swooping motion to draw the yarn through them all at once.

Jean Leinhauser

Gauge a little. I crochet loose so it's hard for me to figure out what I'm doing until I'm a while into a project:P. So Side to side sweaters or vests I can't do (well one I did but messed up by adding another row and it worked out actually and fits:lol, but that was rare). I just tried again with the one on the cover of Crochet Today. Didn't work out, was waaaay long and too big.

Bottom of slippers in the round. So I make them from toe to heel style and then sew together the top foot part and make a cuff. Easy for me. But I would love to do the bottom of slippers to make like flip flop slipper or sandle style slippers or something for summer. Probably a gauge thing...

Debbi

I get it, but I still hate crocheting anything round that's not closed at each end of the circle--like, anything worked in a spiral. Even when I mark the beginning stitch, I'm still always losing my place.

The only thing that still defeats me is the bullion stitch. I have to pull the loops over one by one, just can't do the swooping motion to draw the yarn through them all at once.

Jean Leinhauser

And if a pro such as Jean Leinhauser can't do the bullion, how can a mere mortal like me ever expect to master it??? :P:lol Spirals also just drive me nuts; I always lose my starting stitch (even when I mark it, how's that for dumb?). But I've always wanted to know how to make that first stitch of a row look like every other stitch? That ch3 always sticks out like a sore thumb. (I'm now doing ch2 for dc rows, ch1 for hdc rows; seems to look better.) I also tend to have a problem with patterns by a certain designer, whom I won't name (altho I'm pretty sure she's not a 'Ville member). Her patterns are unique and I love the designs, but I've yet to be able to finish a single one of them. Just can't figure them out. :think

I won't even attempt socks... they would be mismatched in size when finished.

My stepdaughter who is now grown with children, wanted to crochet when she was about 12, she sort of already knew the basics. So I gave her some yarn and a hook, and she was going to make me a pair of socks... had learned the pattern from her grandma, I think. When she got them done, one would have fit a 5-year old, and the other would have been loose on a man's size 13 foot! We both laughed until we cried... !

I just don't attempt things I know I would have a lot of trouble with. Most of the time I can eventually figure out a pattern... but if I can't... I don't do it. I am TOO old and TOO impatient to have that kind of stress.

For me it is the round ripple patterns. I have been in a CAL on here, for what seems like forever but everytime I try it puckers in between the points! I have tried different RR patterns and it is the same thing all the time! I am going to try again sometime but for now....it just frustrates me!!!

Thanks, ya'll....I feel better now that I know I'm not alone! Gauge is one of those things I have trouble with too. I find I have to pay VERY close attention if its a project where guage is crucial. I attemped a doily the other night while watching 'House' and I ended up with a fancy, lacy bowl :lol

I'm another one...have yet to come close to succeeding a bullion st...I can do trebles, double trebles, even triple trebles (etc) but bullions? They must hate my hooks. Fortunately for me (or not so fortunately...my wim list is HUGE), I have so many patterns I want to do that don't even have bullions, that by the time it makes it back to the "visible" WIM list, I might have a chance to figure it out. (I might also be retired, but hey :lol)

This seems like a very basic one, which is why it really bugs me. At the end of a round on a granny when you slip stitch to join the starting chain, then chain 3 to start the next double crochet row, the instructions usually say "dc in same stitch as joining" I can never get this transition to come out right. I usually end up with a strange strip of space from the center straight to the edge. I've actually started to tie off each round so I can start with a slip stitch right in the corner space. If anyone can explain the "trick" to me I would be forever grateful!

Thanks, ya'll....I feel better now that I know I'm not alone! Gauge is one of those things I have trouble with too. I find I have to pay VERY close attention if its a project where guage is crucial. I attemped a doily the other night while watching 'House' and I ended up with a fancy, lacy bowl :lol

I like the idea of a fancy, lacy bowl!

I also can't do patterns that require attention(like a doily most of the time) while watching tv. I need to focus on one or the other. Well I can do easy patterns while watching tv, but not harder ones, those I need to be away from the TV (too distracting).

I can't do seraphina either, but I haven't tried since the lastest re-write. Hmm. Also slippers, I have problems with. i tried to make a pair, and following the instructions, yarn weight, and hook size, I ended up with something insanely huge, for a monster foot! lol. I ripped it down, and started again. But then I forgot about it, and only have one slipper. The other I haven't done, because I've forgotten how wide it's supposed to be. Also, another pair of I made were to be mary janes. the quick ones, from craftster i think.... anyways I forgot to leave room for the strap. And I think it's done with hdc, and for some rows on the first one I did rows of sc, so each slipper goes to a different part on the top of my foot.. :-p

I can't even begin w/ reverse crochet. I also have problems with fpdc & bpdc. I couldn't get ribbing to come out for the longest time (where you only crochet into one loop) until I realized that being left-handed ment that if they say "back loop" I should be doing front loop and vice-versa. I keep trying to learn to crochet right-handed, but it feels really awkward. I knit right handed, though. Go figure.:think

Also what's odd, is I'll use the same yarn, the same hook, the same pattern, & I always use less yarn then called for. weird.

Also what's odd, is I'll use the same yarn, the same hook, the same pattern, & I always use less yarn then called for. weird.

I find the same thing, often...I think it's because pattern writers will sometimes add to the actual amount they used, for safety's sake. (or they round up) not always. some give very exact info. To be safe, especially for a big project, I buy an extra skein (I figure I'll find a use for it eventually). When I write a pattern, if I use a partial skein, I simply round up to the full skein amount, esp as I don't have a postage scale to figure out exact weight).

I can't even begin w/ reverse crochet. I also have problems with fpdc & bpdc.

Me either - I've tried them several times, had someone show me, watched youtube videos...still can't do them. I've been crocheting for more than 25 years & most things come pretty easy.

I have done my share of frogging over the years but what really gets me frustrated is facial features on stuffed animals/dolls. The eyes I have finally settled on uses just a big cross stitch X, than + on top of it. Mouths have been impossible. I have undone the one I am working on as we speak about 6 times, then I read the thread about the Awareness Ribbon and made a small piece of sc making it curve with 2 sc in the 2 chains that are the center and am going to sew it on. Perfect!!

For me it is the round ripple patterns. I have been in a CAL on here, for what seems like forever but everytime I try it puckers in between the points! I have tried different RR patterns and it is the same thing all the time! I am going to try again sometime but for now....it just frustrates me!!!

I needed a blankie for a little monster that I made. I made a round ripple!!!! :yay

You can see the little monster with her blankie here.

Here is a pic of just the Round Ripple. I got the pattern here. It is only about 13" across but that is all the bigger I needed it for the ami and it was at least a try at getting round ripples to work for me.

100_0841.jpg

:cheer Your RR looks GREAT! I would like to try one of those. First I'm going to to attempt a regular ripple afghan. If that goes well, I may try the RR. Way to go! :D

Archived