crocheting around "rings"

Anyone remember soda can plastic rings that people would cut apart and crochet over and then weave them in and out of each other and hang bells on the bottom for xmas door decorations? How about canning jar rubber rings crocheted around and made into trivits? Anyone have other recollections about utilizing such things to make ornamental crochet?

I remember and yes it was the 80s. I still have a wreath in storage that I made. I also have an Easter basket. Funny I was just this morning thinking about making another one but wondering what to use since I don't buy canned soda or beer. I probably don't have time anyway. LOL

I was tidying up my 'cold room' yesterday and found a bunch of rubber jar rings. Was thinking i should try making up some trivets using the 'new' cotton ww yarn ( Bernat handicrafter,sugar n' creme type). Do you think that would be better than regular ww? Jan.

I use margarine tub lids cut to size.....almost any type of plastic will work. Do they still make just the rubber rings; I've only seen the 'rings' and metal lid as an all in one for years LOL. I made bell pulls 12 rings with a ribbon woven through, decorated with greenery or a plastic head and the trivets baskets hats etc. Recycle re-use etc

I use to use the plastic rings that comes around the six packs of pop. Then I would crochet around them in green and put a little bell in the middle and make a chain stitch for a hanger and hang them on the X-Mas tree. They made cute x-mas wreaths.

even better...crochet over metal bottle caps..beer etc the twist of kind...While growing up we had a trivet that was crocheted over bottle caps in the form of a bunch of grapes. Crochet pattern Central actually lists a few patterns using this technique. The only problem...saving all those bottle caps means someine has to drink all that.

I remember when I first learned to crochet I crocheted around coffee can lids. Hubby cut the center out for me. I put a ruffle around them and hung a cheap ornament from the center and added a hook for hanging. My dear mother-in-law, God rest her soul, kept those silly things for 20 some odd years and every Christmas hung them up! I was so embarassed by them but realize now how much they must have meant to her!

Finally - someone who doesn't think I'm crazy for remembering this! My mother did this all the time when I was growing up and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to put them together to make a large potholder. Do you just weave them around each other & then stitch them together on the edge?

My mother passed away last week & I've got several of her old projects that I'd love to finish for her.

I got a wreath from a rummage sale and I tried to figure it out. I gave up and put it away somewhere, maybe some day I'll find it and try again. I save the flat lids from canning jars (large ones). I put them between crocheted circles and crochet around them. They make great coasters. If you use the small ones and cotton yarn, you could sew/crochet them together to make a hot pad.

Ellie 13

Mary Pat - that referred to site http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/R.../potholder.htm

is EXACTLY what I meant for the trivit; funny graphics...:) ...here is another example of the trivit http://www.******/crochet/hotpla.html I haven't seen any of the xmas ones tho online; I'll be looking.

I love to use ordinary household stuff in crochet. Not only does it recycle but it creates interesting items! :) I should make one of those the next time I get some of those plastic rings that come around my Dasani water. :hook Usually it's only 6 pks or loose bottles but I could save them from the 6 pks.

This kind of crocheting would also make interesting Celtic themed items.

How well I remember making door decorations from the soda can rings, I made great numbers of them for friends our family camped with. Those things fit perfectly on the inside of the skinny window on the camper doors. I think almost every camper and RV had one of them back in the 70's & 80's. Almost ashamed to admit it but I still have one hanging in my living room !!! LOL

Anyone remember soda can plastic rings that people would cut apart and crochet over and then weave them in and out of each other and hang bells on the bottom for xmas door decorations? How about canning jar rubber rings crocheted around and made into trivits? Anyone have other recollections about utilizing such things to make ornamental crochet?

Absolutely! Another thing my mother, my aunt and my grandmother used to do was to crochet covers for beer bottle tops out of thread, and then hook them together to make trivets or hot pads! The beer bottle tops look like buttons when they're covered with the thread, and then they're stitched together into various shapes to make the pads. They're REALLY cute and functional.

even better...crochet over metal bottle caps..beer etc the twist of kind...While growing up we had a trivet that was crocheted over bottle caps in the form of a bunch of grapes. Crochet pattern Central actually lists a few patterns using this technique. The only problem...saving all those bottle caps means someine has to drink all that.

YES!!!! This is EXACTLY what I was describing in my other post!!! Oh, the memories! :manyheart

Archived