Reuseable Produce Bag UPDATE

zeropixie

Here I am trying to go green by using reusable shopping bags but after a recent trip to the store I relized that I was still using a bunch of plastic for all the produce. After some hard thinking and the green episode of Oprah I came up with this, a small expandable bag. My biggest fear is that it wouldn't hold alot of weight but DD was able get 15 medium sized Gala apples into it and could carry it herself. :tup It is all one piece including the handle so I think this helps.

Here is a photo of it empty, as you can see it's small.

th_crochet070.jpg

Filled with seven sweet potates and seven navel orangesth_crochet072.jpg

TESTERS found.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74697

That is sooo cool! It is really nice how small it is when empty, but it expands to hold so much. You could probably use it for the rest of the groceries as well... not sure I put much more weight in a regular grocery bag than what you loaded that thing up with.

Cool, great minds think alike!!!

I have been thinking of making produce bags too, I have been using reusable shopping bags and bins for several years, but have noticed I end up with lots of produce baggies.

Would love it if you shared the pattern!!

Cheryl

Cool idea. How much does the bag weigh by itself?

3 ounces which is definately more than the plastic bags but the produce doesn't cost more at the check out.

I made another one and took notes so I should be able to write up a pattern. Will let you all know when I have it ready for testing.

3 ounces which is definately more than the plastic bags but the produce doesn't cost more at the check out.

I made another one and took notes so I should be able to write up a pattern. Will let you all know when I have it ready for testing.

OK now you confused me--that is almost 1/4 lb. Or do you just use the produce bags after they are weighed? I love that idea- I am just trying to see how it works so maybe I will try something similar at my grocery store. I buy a lot of produce so this would really cut down on plastic usage.

This is great. I made one from a pattern off of the sugar and creame labels this summer. I didn't like the "mesh" part of it though so I changed it up to a single crochet and it worked great. I made them for all my family for chirstmas.

OK now you confused me--that is almost 1/4 lb. Or do you just use the produce bags after they are weighed? I love that idea- I am just trying to see how it works so maybe I will try something similar at my grocery store. I buy a lot of produce so this would really cut down on plastic usage.

I weighed it on my kitchen scale after I made it and that's what it said. The problem is that the first one was made with what was left on a cone and the second came for a 12 ounce skien so I can't say for certain how much was used. Sorry.

Just use the bag like a plastic bag. I got SEVEN pounds of apples into one last night and when it was weighed at the check out it came up seven pounds and one ounce.

I love that. I made grocery bags from sewing and they were so well liked that I am selling them but I wanted some that would fold up smaller and your produce bags look so awsome! I made my mom some grocery bags if you every share the pattern or sell it I would love to know so I could crochet her some produce bags! I like how you have the handle on it too. Not so thin it would hurt your hands if you had sensitive one (my mom does and thin handles really can hurt her).

Okay I pick up a ball of cotton yarn so I will know exactly who much it takes and will making a another bag from my notes this weekend, then be asking for testers. I think that I will let everyone here have it free for a few weeks and then try to sell it.:)

Archived