Where do you stash your stash?

I have a cabinet that I bought at Wal-Mart, in which I keep all of my crafting supplies. It has four shelves, and I just pile things in wherever they will fit. By "crafting supplies", I clearly mean yarn. At least it's squishy so I can squeeze it all in there. :hook

It's SUPPOSED to hold my sewing machine and fabric...but, really, fabric can be stacked on TOP of the cabinet, and IMO, sewing machines are decorative anyway. That is, at least, the story I have chosen to stick to, thankyouverymuch. :lol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge clear storage bins in spare bedroom and shoved into various baskets in my bedroom bookcases. Oh, and tubs on the floor, tubs in the basement, tubs in the storage room, the trunk of my car has a few skeins I was too embarrassed to admit I bought (when I clearly don't need any more).

Right now I'm living in an apartment. Most of my yarn is in big plastic bins in storage. The rest of it sits in plastic bags at the end of the couch on the floor, or in the closet next my shoes. I'm sure that I will leave this apartment with another stash. I just can't seem to get away from yarn. It grows legs and follows me out of the store. (lol). Good luck with storage.

I have a couple of plastic storage cabinets that I use. They have three smaller drawers on top which I use for pattern books, tools, etc., and three bigger drawers on the bottom that I stash my yarn in. I think I bought them at either Target or WalMart for around $25.00. They are really handy, but I think I'm going to need another one soon. :lol

I have 2 large and 3 small clear plastic tubs stacked in a corner of my bedroom. The yarn is sorted somewhat by type and is visible (at least some is) because of the clear plastic. I have a coat closet that I rarely use that I need to get one of those hanging sweater things for.

My, my! I don't have nearly as much stash as some of you do. I have a large plasic bin and two smaller plastic containers, plus a few plastic sacks with various types of yarn stashed under the sewing machine. And then the yarn I'm using for current projects are in tote bags at the end of my couch in the corner, sorted by project. And my leftover scrap yarn is in boxes on the shelf in my closet.

Right now where ever I can store it...in my closet, in baskets around my bed, next to the sofa. I think I am driving my hubby crazy.

We are in the process of building a new house, and just last night he said, let's take part of the garage and enclose it and seal it so you can have a place for your yarn and he can have place to build fishing rods!!!

Yeah!!!!! I'm good with sharing, I am getting the craft room I wanted!:clap

Gardnr

Most of my yarn is in plastic bins on shelves in the basement. However, I also have a large storage unit with five drawers full in my sewing room and some decorative boxes in my living room with yarn I expect to use soon. I know I have too much, but I am always prepared to be snowed in (I could probably last for months of being housebound).

• 2 weeks later...

I have my stash in two large under the bed storage containers that roll, then I have about 10 of the clear plastic shoe boxes, and the three drawers in my nightstand and a big wicker basket in my closet, then I have a big cone (4lbs) of chenille(sp?) next to the couch that I am working on. Oh and I have four skeins sitting on my dresser. And 2 cones(1lb) of thread next to the dresser in the floor. (I think that is all)...lol...All my crochet magazines and patterns I have organized in 3 ring binders.

I have a small stash - My crafting materials, both yarn and cross-stitch are stored in a 30L or so roll-under the bed storage container. That said, I think I would like to get one to dedicate to the yarn and thread, there is still room for one more rollaway container under the bed (I also have one with clothes two sizes (and more) down... hmmm... I'm sure my hubby would prefer if I waited to liberate the smaller clothes and use that container for yarn... that would be quite the dieting incentive, eh?)

Well... let's see... I have 12 big plastic totes full of yarn in my half of the storage shed (aka my yarn store)...I have 6 garbage bags full of yarn in the closet (thank goodness some smart person invented walk-in closets)...and a basket with my current WIP's under the endtable in the living room (DH and I have a deal... I must be able to fit the basket under the table at the end of the day or he is allowed to take any extra yarn and put it wherever he wants to!!! Usually I can't ever find it again...)

No, I don't have enough yarn... just in case you were wondering...:D

Does "everywhere" count? I have baskets (large Longaberger baskets) full of stuff, I have shelves of book and patterns...so ya, everywhere is the correct answer for $100 (old Jeopardy rules :D) :goodorbad

(DH and I have a deal... I must be able to fit the basket under the table at the end of the day or he is allowed to take any extra yarn and put it wherever he wants to!!! Usually I can't ever find it again...)

Hubby & I have a deal ... leave my yarn alone & he gets to live lol .... I don'tthink it's even crossed his mind to control my stash!!

Anyways, back on topic, I have most of mine in the big totes in the basements (about 10 ) plus a couple of garbage bags plus a few other boxes, plus odds 'n ends floating around - I would suggest that if you go for a tote/plastic drawer system to buy more than you think you will need (you can always return what you don't use) that way they are all the same & more stackable (without getting tippy ... don't touch the yarn, it could be dangerous) and it looks more tidy its in uniform totes/drawers ... and clear is definatly better, inless the "cluttered" look really bothers you or you don't mind labelling the totes .... but then again, its always a nice surprise to open a tote and say "wow - I forgot about that!"

Fran

I converted a bookshelf to a craft shelf. It has 3 deep shelves + cabinet space at the bottom for yarn, thread, books & magazines.

Top shelf = cup of hooks & other craft paraphernalia.

Middle shelf= cakes & cakes of yarn

Bottom shelf= a wine rack with 2-3 skeins in each wine slot :lol

My winder is attached to the bottom shelf.

Underneath in the cabinets are mags, books, a basket of thread, & small bins for misc.

Beside the craft cabinet I have a 3 bin with wheels...in that I store squares & other WIP's

I have a loft bedroom that is my craft room. My work table holds all of my stained glass supplies and tools. My yarn is all seperated and labled by weight in cardboard boxes in the closet. I do need a better way to keep patterns printed off the internet. any suggestions would be appriciated.

Archived