Am I seeing this right or missing something??

Just saw this on eBay and wondered if I am missing something??? $90 plus shipping for 12 skeins of homespun???

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-10-SKEINS-LION-BRAND-HOMESPUN-ACRYLIC-YARN_W0QQitemZ260208429552QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36590QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nope, it says just what you thought it said. I looked at the bid history, and the bidding started off at $7.99, then it went to $20.00, then $20.55, and then someone came in and bid $62.99 (and then went on to bid three more consecutive times - $81.99, 85.99 and 89.99, and then some totally different person came in and put in the winning bid of $90.99. WHY anyone would bid that much for 12 skeins of yarn is beyond me, and why someone would outbid THEMSELVES three times I also don't understand.

Elle

some people get carried away when it comes to ebay, believe me, they'll buy anything if it's listed in the right way. she hyped that auction to the limits! and adding on the extra two skeins? that sealed the deal. looks like a good seller though from the feedback. i'd buy something from them if i needed it (not for $90 though!) although, she doesn't ship to canada, which irritates me.

I put on some smokey grey mohair wool on ebay at 99p and it went for £24 I thought that was mad. I had to ask the winner what she wanted it for, She needed the exact colour for the hair of an old lady in the picture she was weaving.

I mean there was only 25g of the stuff.

Mabey they need it to finish a project. all the more excuse to buy too much wool rather than not enough. xxx(thats what I tell myself and I am sticking to it lol)xxx

Nope, it says just what you thought it said. I looked at the bid history, and the bidding started off at $7.99, then it went to $20.00, then $20.55, and then someone came in and bid $62.99 (and then went on to bid three more consecutive times - $81.99, 85.99 and 89.99, and then some totally different person came in and put in the winning bid of $90.99. WHY anyone would bid that much for 12 skeins of yarn is beyond me, and why someone would outbid THEMSELVES three times I also don't understand.

Elle

She didn't bid against herself. If you look at the time she bid and the winner's bid, you'll see the 3-timer was trying to get that yarn but the winner put a very high bid in on Feb 1st and the 3-timer just kept upping the bid to try to outbid the winning bidder. Sometimes people put in an outrageously high bid for something early on, thinking it won't go that high and get surprised when it does. Ebay says says to proxy bid the highest you wull pay for the item so probably what happened is that the 62.99 bid automatically hit atfer the other high bids were placed.

I can see it. For what some people spend on tiny amounts of hand spun wool, I'd rather buy Homespun. :) It's certainly a pretty color. Probably wanted it to match someone's room or something.

It is a shame people don't know the value of things they bid on, but it's their money...if they are foolish enough to spend that kind of money on homespun more power to them!

This is ebay...it's an auction...you can get lucky and get a deal, but if you get caught up in the whole thing, you can pay through the nose. I thought it was initially 12 skeins which would have the price at $7.00 a skein and I've seen Homespun go for that on base over here (and I knew they were overcharging, but that's the problem with being overseas sometimes) So I didn't think this was all that out of line, however, I see it was 10 skeins, and Ijust did a search on Joann.com and see it's going for $4.49 a skein normally (I know this color is discontinued) so the winning bidder is basically paying over double what she normally would have for Homespun.

Someone made the comment about how shameful it was that people don't know the value of what they are bidding on. I don't think that has ANYTHING to do with it. Who knows what the bidder was thinking. Maybe she/he is in an area where they can't get Homespun, let alone the discontinued color...

Some people get really caught up in the excitement of just bidding.

Archived