Funny organisational idea for wool

I saw this at a friend's - she's a knitter but I still like her ;)

Basically she, like me, has parquet floors and lives in a city - the result is that they are ALWAYS dusty. I crochet with my wool in my wool basket but occasionally I yank too hard and the ball rolls off on its own and I have to crawl off under furniture after it.

She basically took those large softdrinks cups you get at MacDolands or Burger Kong (no advertising here!) and washed them out. She puts the wool in the cup and threads it through the hole in the lid for the straw (you have to bend the tabs back or cut them off so the wool doesn't snag on it). You can place the cup on the ground beside you and work away. You need a large cup, though, otherwise the wool doesn't have enough space to turn when you pull on it. It keeps your wool clean and tidy.

I haven't tried it because ... well, basically because I don't eat junk food and because I'm working on something that needs several colours at once. But I have a big, white project coming up so I might try it then.

Recycling - dontcha just love it? :lol

I have been known to use coffe cans for this too. I wash and dry the cans, punch a hole in the lid and away I go. I use 1 lb cans for smaller skiens and the bigger cans for my larger skeins. It works great and because they weight a bit more than styrofoam they stay in place better. I sometimes put one of my DH small weights in the bottom of the can before I put my yarn in to keep the can from bouncing around if I pull too hard.

Shopping bags or recycled gift bags also work very well. I keep a lot of my shopping bags (the nice, coated ones) and they hold the yarn, hook, needles and scissors, plus at least some of the project. And, it keeps the dust off the yarn, not to mention the cat hair.

I have been known to use coffe cans for this too. I wash and dry the cans, punch a hole in the lid and away I go. I use 1 lb cans for smaller skiens and the bigger cans for my larger skeins. It works great and because they weight a bit more than styrofoam they stay in place better. I sometimes put one of my DH small weights in the bottom of the can before I put my yarn in to keep the can from bouncing around if I pull too hard.

Oh you are brillant! I have been looking for a craft to do with all the empty formula cans I have stacked up and this will be perfect!!! :cheer

Thank you so much for this idea. Woo Hoo

They used to make something called a Yarn Barn. It looked like a giant plastic pill, snapped together in the middle and yarn was fed through a hole in the end. It fit skeins up to 8 oz. I had one from a yard sale, but it got cracked. I wish I could get a couple now.

Ellie 13

They used to make something called a Yarn Barn. It looked like a giant plastic pill, snapped together in the middle and yarn was fed through a hole in the end. It fit skeins up to 8 oz. I had one from a yard sale, but it got cracked. I wish I could get a couple now.

Ellie 13

I've seen some people use 2 liter soda bottles and feed the yarn through the top.

Ellie 13

Our local WalMart carries them. You might try there if you have a WM that still has a craft dept :yes

My Dad used to make (for my mom and me when I was little) boxes for the yarn. Just get a shoebox, poke a hole in one of the short sides, and go from there. You can even poke a hole in each half of the box, and have a lid on your yarn. Then, just open the box to put hooks/scissors/whatever inside, and you've got something portable. :) Just another idea. :)

Victoria

Ok I have to put in my ideas as well. How about the new tupperware containers for vegetables with the vent holes in the side...lay a skein in and thread through the hole the larger ones can even hold two and there are two holes. I have also used some vintage tupperware pitchers and used the pour spout for the yarn. clean and when done waterproof too.

The pitcher idea is good because you could drop your hook and scissors down in there too. That would be good for keeping in the car or to take on the boat.

Where do you see that???

I do like this idea. It's a way to reuse something, and when it is no longer useful, you can recycle it.

Great Idea.

:manyheart

• 3 weeks later...

In Australia, we have Pavlova Magic that come in a plastic container that looks like an egg.

When I am working with thread, I have a hole in the top of the egg and thread inside - keeping it all clean.

these are some great ideas! my 8 month old baby was able to get past the barrier of toys and pillows and cardboard i had set up to keep her away from my laundry basket full of yarn and stuffs today. a new way of storing the yarn will have to be put in place tomorrow. i think i'll go get some pretty boxes from the dollar store and punch holes in the tops and get a big box with a lid for the rest. i'm posting pics in a few minutes if anyone wants to see the little devil eating my yarn wrappers.

I like the pitcher idea! I use a sandwich bag with the corner cut off at the moment... Keeps the assisting cat claws away from the skein!!

Archived