Digital camera help

:eekI just bought a Fujifilm FinePix A900. It has 9 MPs & 4X zoom. I have never had a digital before. I want to, of course, put pics of my work on C'Ville. But I'd also like to design & sell some of my own patterns. For any of you knowledgable out there, is this camera going to be good enough for that? I'm also hoping that my DD can use it for some of her beadwork too because whenever she has to have her pieces photographed for a class it's big-time money.

I got totally freaked out today reading the manual about the different settings, but finally realized that there is also a simple "point & shoot" mode. Guess I'll probably start with that to figure out how the camera works. Unfortunately, most of my friends use regular cameras or throw-aways, so they are no help at all.

Any help to get me started would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi there, firstly I am no photo expert but maybe can offer some advice. I suggest you play arround with it a bit in different settings and lighting till you get familiar with it. One trick though for photographing crochet is to use the macro setting. This usually has a flower symbol and you can get some high detail close ups of your work. I also find white and black the worst colours to photograph. All the best. I have a canon and it is the best gadget I own.

Oh and NEVER use the flash with crochet as the photos always look drained of colour. Natural light works best.

One trick though for photographing crochet is to use the macro setting. This usually has a flower symbol and you can get some high detail close ups of your work.

Macro takes practice though. You can't be too close or it'll be fuzzy. You can't be too far or something else will be in focus, not what you want and it still can be fuzzy. You can't shake so getting a tripod or setting it on something will help.

If your manual doesn't tell you where the macro setting is, mine didn't really, it's the little flower icon.

Search on line for tuts and hints. It's where I've picked up most of what I know. That and playing around. Stick with your auto mode as much as possible until you've learned a few things. Check out books from the library, especially Digital Photography for Dummies.

Take pictures of your things early in the morning or in the evening when the sun is not high. Take them either outside or with your curtain/drapes/blinds pulled on the largest window on the sun side. Play around to see what works best for you.

Congrats on your new camera. You're going to love love it. Take LOTS of pictures. It costs nothing now and you can discard the ones you don't like; either on the camera or on your computer. You don't have to use or keep them all but you'll have a high chance of getting a good shot.

:)

I have a Kodak Easy Share DX6430 with a 10x zoom. I have had it for SEVERAL years, it was TOP of the line when it came out, my oldest son was working a GREAT paying job and bought it for my for my birthday. It was a $500 camera then. Since I have had it, it does just take playing around with the settings, an different modes, I LOVE the deleate feature, so if ya really mess up, you can get rid of it...lol..

I also have the easydok so I can print my own pics..thsi I love. Good luck and just enjoy your camera!

I'm also hoping that my DD can use it for some of her beadwork too because whenever she has to have her pieces photographed for a class it's big-time money.

side note for the beadwork....if you have a scanner try using that...lay the pieces on the glass, cover with a sheet/towel/cloth of any kind, scan....it makes them look nestled in a pillow....it really looks cool and perfectly lit!! i learned this from a digital photography newsletter i used to get so i can't claim credit for the idea.

on a somewhat related topic.

When you are taking your pictures please make the item the main focus and provide clear photos of the design and important features.

You will love the artistic side of the camera but the customers will love the clear indications of what you need to do. :wlol

:eekI just bought a Fujifilm FinePix A900. It has 9 MPs & 4X zoom. I have never had a digital before. I want to, of course, put pics of my work on C'Ville. But I'd also like to design & sell some of my own patterns. For any of you knowledgable out there, is this camera going to be good enough for that? I'm also hoping that my DD can use it for some of her beadwork too because whenever she has to have her pieces photographed for a class it's big-time money.

I got totally freaked out today reading the manual about the different settings, but finally realized that there is also a simple "point & shoot" mode. Guess I'll probably start with that to figure out how the camera works. Unfortunately, most of my friends use regular cameras or throw-aways, so they are no help at all.

Any help to get me started would be greatly appreciated!!!

I love to play with my digital cameras. I have an Olympus that's about 9yrs old (an antique!) I think it's megapixels is only about 2.1, and then I have a year old Sony camera that's a 7.1mp. My favorite of the two? The Olympus.

Even tho the Olympus has a lower MP than the Sony, I think the pictures from the Olympus turn out much better. I wish I had a larger memory card for the Olympus (they dont even make the cards for that camera any more!) It's biggest drawback is the fact that it's about as heavy as a brick. Kind of cumbersome to carry to the zoo or on a vacation. (it is smaller than my 35mm film camera that has the interchangable zoom lenses tho)

What I love about my Sony is the size. I can carry it in my pocket. I took it to SD last spring to see Mt Rushmore and the Badlands, and it took really great pictures. I love the video setting too. Got some nice pictures of some thunderstorms (thru a car windshield even) I had one memory card with me, and even with the camera set on the highest resolution, I was still able to take over 500 pictures with it, and still have lots of room left over for more. (dont have to worry about paying to develop that many pictures either. Just have WalGreens print out the ones I want printed copies of)

The best thing to do with a new camera is to play with it. Take pictures of the same thing with different settings of the camera. Last spring and summer, I had a new yellow rosebush planted. When it started to produce roses, I would go over, take pictures with every setting on the camera (including video) and then would go plug it into the computer and compare the differences in the pictures.

Not using flash is a good suggestion for taking pictures of crocheted/knitted items. You can use regular lighting in your room sometimes, without having to take it outside, or sit near a sunlit window.

Getting a tripod was a great suggestion. I've had a tripod for years, but never really used it until I started to take self-portraits of myself wearing items I've made for myself.

Since getting diagnosed with MS, I've been taking advantage of the tripod when taking pictures at home now too. (not too keen on dragging the tripod with me to the zoo tho) Tripods are getting fairly inexpensive now.

Last couple of afghan pictures I took with my camera, I used the tripod. That way I get a good steady shot and I can make sure I've got the entire afghan in the picture without having to worry about losing the shot while pressing the shutter button when taking the picture.

Love the fact that if I dont like the picture, I can just delete it.

Just play with the camera's settings, delete the ones that dont turn out. Digital cameras are great for people teaching themselves how to become a good photographer.

In addition to getting photos perfectly in focus, lighting is one of the most critical elements in a good photograph. Regular indoor lights really distort the colors of your items. I have had good luck with 'Reveal' light bulbs. They are supposed to mimic outdoor light. They are just ordinary light bulbs... I think they are made by GE?

The best light (without using expensive light tents) is taken in what's called 'open shade' outdoors. Open shade would be the shade cast by a large object, like your house. Avoid shade under a tree... tends to be really splotchy. In the winter, I put my stuff inside of a glass door, and that works well also. I try some without, and some with flash, and then just pick the best ones. Take lots of pictures... digital pictures are free.

As a background I have purchased 3 pieces of foam core board (available at large craft stores). I have one in white, one in black and one in a neutral gray color. I use the white one a lot because I like the look of having just the article in the picture, and the white background fades into the white on the page. Of course, if I'm shooting something white or very light, I switch to a different color.

Focus is most critical. If people can't see the product, they are not going to buy it. However, I have seen some designers mention that they don't like to include extreme closeups, to prevent people from 'stealing' the pattern. For most crochet things, you probably will not need to use macro. For beaded things, you definitely will!

Good luck with it.

Joan

I totally agree about using a scanner for the beads. It makes beautiful pictures.

I've learned (from somewhere:think ) that you should always put other coulours near the item to make the camera distinguish lights and coulours. They should be near enough so they appear in the picture, and then you crop the picture in you computer to cut them out.

Can someone pleeeease explain this in more readable english :blush

I totally agree about using a scanner for the beads. It makes beautiful pictures.

I've learned (from somewhere:think ) that you should always put other coulours near the item to make the camera distinguish lights and coulours. They should be near enough so they appear in the picture, and then you crop the picture in you computer to cut them out.

Can someone pleeeease explain this in more readable english :blush

I think you explained it perfectly. I never thought about putting other things in the picture. I hate taking pictures of white things...next time I will try that. I never really had the "outdoor scenery" but I do now so I will be trying that too.

. One trick though for photographing crochet is to use the macro setting. This usually has a flower symbol and you can get some high detail close ups of your work. I also find white and black the worst colours to photograph. All the best. I have a canon and it is the best gadget I own.

Oh and NEVER use the flash with crochet as the photos always look drained of colour. Natural light works best.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know about not using the flash. That's great!

Macro takes practice though. You can't be too close or it'll be fuzzy. You can't be too far or something else will be in focus, not what you want and it still can be fuzzy. You can't shake so getting a tripod or setting it on something will help.

If your manual doesn't tell you where the macro setting is, mine didn't really, it's the little flower icon.

:)

Thanks for the great suggestions. The one thing I'm totally confused about is whether I can upload pics to my computer straight from the internal memory or if I do I have to buy a memory card to do that?

Thanks,

Bev

Thanks for the great suggestions. The one thing I'm totally confused about is whether I can upload pics to my computer straight from the internal memory or if I do I have to buy a memory card to do that?

Thanks,

Bev

If the camera has a cord to plug into your computer you can go straight to the computer from your camera. If you use a memory card, just remember that not all computers have a place for those. I'm am lucky, mine does.

I love to play with my digital cameras. I have an Olympus that's about 9yrs old (an antique!) I think it's megapixels is only about 2.1, and then I have a year old Sony camera that's a 7.1mp. My favorite of the two? The Olympus.

Love the fact that if I dont like the picture, I can just delete it.

Just play with the camera's settings, delete the ones that dont turn out. Digital cameras are great for people teaching themselves how to become a good photographer.

Erin,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I love the pics on your blog, especially the ones of the yarn. Which camera did you use for those?

Bev

side note for the beadwork....if you have a scanner try using that...lay the pieces on the glass, cover with a sheet/towel/cloth of any kind, scan....it makes them look nestled in a pillow....it really looks cool and perfectly lit!! i learned this from a digital photography newsletter i used to get so i can't claim credit for the idea.

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner. I used to have one & it got too old to use with my newer computer & I could no longer get updates for it. But I'll certainly pass that info on to my DD. She may have a friend who has one.

Thanks,

Bev

If the camera has a cord to plug into your computer you can go straight to the computer from your camera. If you use a memory card, just remember that not all computers have a place for those. I'm am lucky, mine does.

Yes, it does have a place for a MC. That's what confused me. The manual only mentioned uploading from the MC. But it does havea cord to plug into the USB port.

Thanks, everyone, for all your great suggestions. I'm gonna look for a dig. camera forum online now. But wanted to make sure my camera was okay for crochet work & you've all answered that & so much more good info.

Thanks & happy hookin'

Memory cards aren't that expensive, you should get one at some point for 'just in case'.

Did you get a docking station with your camera? If so, follow your manuel directions. If not, you could get one of those. Mine not only uploads the pictures but it charges my battery.

Read your camera manuel to see what it says and how to use your cord.

Memory cards aren't that expensive, you should get one at some point for 'just in case'.

Did you get a docking station with your camera? If so, follow your manuel directions. If not, you could get one of those. Mine not only uploads the pictures but it charges my battery.

Read your camera manuel to see what it says and how to use your cord.

No, I didn't get a docking station. I did get a battery charger with it. I've read the manual, but it doesn't make it clear if I can upload from the internal memory instead of just a memory card. I do realize that a card & card reader are pretty cheap, but it is irritating that when you order something online you end up needing other stuff to make it work. They never tell you that....

Thanks for responding@

Archived