Felted Waves of Color Tote

Krakovianka

It's taken me three days of trying to finally get a photo up on flicker! My computer is having "issues" with uploading, so I fell fortunate I've been able to post here at C'ville at all!

I like this pattern when it was shared:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62995

And I've liked almost every version I've seen since, so I couldn't resist trying it in a felted version. I changed the top/handle a bit, but here you go!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2174/2184324071_0799ae8e35.jpg

Sorry I can't share a "before" picture, but just getting one photo loaded feels like a major success.

Thanks for the kind comments! I may try to sell this one (with permission, naturally).

A thrift store I visit regularly gets much of their inventory from Scandinavia, and they have yarn with some regularity--often wool. Last summer I got 13 or 14 balls of brand-new wool in a two shades of brown and made myself a huge bag I'm using right now, and there was enough left over to make this--I added a bit of white wool I bought at another time.

I usually buy the wool yarn whenever I find it, so I have a motley mixed collection of different wools, different thicknesses, and different colors, and all from Norway and Sweden. (If you ever need to know, "ny ull" is Norwegian for "new wool.)

A kind villager sent me a scarf made from Paton's merino classic wool, and it is SO soft, I can't imagine how anyone could bear to felt it!

~Karen

I think I probably used roughly 150 grams--I made the bottom part quite awhile ago, and it's hard to be sure.

Thank you very much! I have about 120 grams of red and black, so I'm glad that I won't be starting it and then finding out there is not enough.:( If I am going to have to buy more, I would choose other colors.

I adjusted the pattern for felting mostly by just using a size K hook (what I always use for felted projects)--my bag was very floppy and open before felting--the rows were not tight and snug the way they look on other bags, and the "waves" didn't even look that wavy-- and the finished project is probably smaller than the original pattern--my bag is about 8x11" (the size of a sheet of paper!).

Wow. The pattern was pretty before but it really pops felted. Now, if I could only wrap my mind around a new project. I may have to make room for it soon, though.

Archived