Having Fun & Getting It Done CAL/KAL 4th Quarter!

. :lol Luckily my local knitting group has a bunch of ladies who like to knit socks. I know they'll help me out.

Relynn, that's perfect! I am looking into lessons at my LYS too. I really need someone to help me with the basics. I'm mildly dyslexic and I am really not getting written directions on knitting. Time to get professional help! LOL

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really liked making that last sweater so I'm feeling braver about the wearables. What patterns are you considering?

I have it down to one of five, Annie's Attic Eternity Shawl - Coconut

Leisure Arts Cowl (with a matching tam)

Lion Brands Finishing touches Cocoon shrug (not for me)

Annie's favorites - Rosebuds and Lace (again not for me)

Bernat's- 1 scarf Triangular Poncho

But the more I look at them the more I am leaning toward the Triangular Poncho or Eternity Shawl for me. I think they should work up fast enough so that I could even get the others done too.

No pic of purse yet, I thought it was the charger and turns out the outlet went. So now I have plugged it in another place and hopefully it will be ready to go tomorrow. So I will have pics of the towel toppers, ring grippers, wash cloths (and pot holders I whipped up today) as well as the purse and hat. And I have more done on the shawl, I added the loop tassels and beads on one side. DH was surprised that I already used up 1/3 of the rings, :lol. Definitely have to get more next time I am up north.

One more project finished! Here is the Baby's ABC Afghan I finished last night: (clickable)

th_JensWork002.jpg

th_JensWork004.jpg

I have to say my technique on the puff stitches improved as I went along, so the top half of the blanket looks better than the bottom!

I don't know if I will be able to get the shawl done--it's my last project for this quarter. I do have until Monday so I'm going to see how far I can get!

Well, I have a package now to send to my secret pal. I crocheted a small item for her to go along with the two knitted items. I still have the final few rounds of a square for CDBear to finish and then the collar on my Cold Shoulders to finish then I'm done for the quarter. :clap

Congrats, Jen, on finishing that blanket! It looks great. :hook

Knitting in the round is my biggest source of confusion. I just don't get how you go from casting on to linking it in a loop. I can't join it with a slip stitch like I do with crochet. :lol Luckily my local knitting group has a bunch of ladies who like to knit socks. I know they'll help me out.

This may sound over simplified, but this is how it worked for me:

When you have cast on as many stitches you need onto your circular needle you will have your tail of working yarn in your left hand. Then just turn your needle around so your working yarn tail is in your right hand and begin knitting back into your stitches, but you will be knitting into your very first stitches you made. Does that help or make sense?

One more project finished! Here is the Baby's ABC Afghan I finished last night: (clickable)

th_JensWork002.jpg

th_JensWork004.jpg

I have to say my technique on the puff stitches improved as I went along, so the top half of the blanket looks better than the bottom!

I don't know if I will be able to get the shawl done--it's my last project for this quarter. I do have until Monday so I'm going to see how far I can get!

Very nice!!! I made one recently (its in my ravelry notebook if ya wanna look) and in the process of making another one. I am doing it a bit different this time. I am making the blocks individually this time in different colors and then will sc them together.

I haven't tried socks yet, but.... I want to knit some yoga socks that I found on Ravelry. I need some and the ones for sale (manufactured) are a bit pricey. I've got a massive amount of fingering weight cotton yarn in my stash that would do very well I think. And it would leave me enough of the yarn to still make some warm weather garments and accessories. I've heard a person or two on Ravelry say they started with socks so they would instantly be over the fear of using DPNs and knitting in the round. I wish I had done that. Knitting in the round is my biggest source of confusion. I just don't get how you go from casting on to linking it in a loop. I can't join it with a slip stitch like I do with crochet. :lol Luckily my local knitting group has a bunch of ladies who like to knit socks. I know they'll help me out.

Well I bought some regular knitting needles, some circulars and some DPNS! I think I am going to buy the stitch n bitch book before I do much more. I need to know some of the intricacies before I can get much further. I do have a dishcloth on my needles right now though for practice.

When you have cast on as many stitches you need onto your circular needle you will have your tail of working yarn in your left hand. Then just turn your needle around so your working yarn tail is in your right hand and begin knitting back into your stitches, but you will be knitting into your very first stitches you made. Does that help or make sense?

That makes a lot of sense to me! hmmm

After sitting here pondering this for about 10 minutes, I think I had my eureka moment. Thank you for explaining it like that! I now can wrap my mind around it. The books and sites I was reading and viewing just weren't clicking for me. :hug

Well I bought some regular knitting needles, some circulars and some DPNS! I think I am going to buy the stitch n bitch book before I do much more. I need to know some of the intricacies before I can get much further. I do have a dishcloth on my needles right now though for practice.

I did the same thing when I decided to teach myself to knit, but I wish I hadn't bought the straight needles. I pretty much use circulars for all knitting now. I haven't done circular knitting yet, so I haven't had to break out the DPNs yet.

Love the ABC afghan:yay

Thanks!

Very nice!!! I made one recently (its in my ravelry notebook if ya wanna look) and in the process of making another one. I am doing it a bit different this time. I am making the blocks individually this time in different colors and then will sc them together.

Thanks! I think the blanket will look great with different color blocks--it must be a lot more work though!

I am still trying to think of what to do for the next quarter. I have this in my ravelry queue

http://www.stricksucht.de/anleitungen/crochetedbag.pdf

so I might do it next. It will be part of my Project Purple. And there is yet another pregnant woman at work so another baby blanket will be forthcoming!

Other than that, I don't have a lot of stuff I "have" to do. It's probably time to pull out a WIP from last summer!

First Quarter

Project Linus: Pink/White Shell Babyghan 30% done; Baby Print Basket Weave Babyghan 60% done; Teen size ghan: green camo w/brown accent 30% done

Dog Coat: Forrest Camo 20% done

ME: Throw for remodel basement sofa--need to pick colors (would love to do a PS); try socks!

-----------

Had to go back an refresh my memory on my expectations. I have made some progress and thought I'd update this as the first quarter is almost over.

Project Linus: Pink/White Shell Babyghan 90% done, needs edging; Baby Print Basket Weave Babyhan-DONE-ready to mail to Blankets for Babies; Teen size ghan: green camo w/brown accent 60% done. Soft Pink and Burgundy Granny Square Babyghan - Done- ready to mail to Blankets for Babies. Started a basket stitch diagonal babyghan in varigated blue w/tan 30% done (also for Blankets for Babies (Diverting the babyghans from Project Linus to Blankets for Babies at this time)

Dog Coat: Forrest Camo 20% done - no progress, dog is coming to visit in mid-April so will measure up and finish we she stays with us for four days.

ME: Throw for basement sofa - no progress on a PS, still haven't picked colors; TRIED one crocheted sock - NOT MY FORTE! Ribbing unfinished and I have not decided if I'm going to frog it or not.

After sitting here pondering this for about 10 minutes, I think I had my eureka moment. Thank you for explaining it like that! I now can wrap my mind around it. The books and sites I was reading and viewing just weren't clicking for me. :hug

I am so glad I actually made sense that way. It took me the longest time to grasp it also, but when I did, I realized I like it much better than doing the same patterns on straights cause I don't have to purl or seam. Those are my two most dreaded knitting tasks!

My favorite things to knit on circs are purses and totes. I like to knit up a rectangle by going back and forth on the two ends like they are straight and then pick up stitches around the perimeter to make it round. Then you can just knit your little heart out and never have to purl or anything else. Just bind off when you get it as tall as you like and there you have a new bag. Love it! :yay

TRIED one crocheted sock - NOT MY FORTE! Ribbing unfinished and I have not decided if I'm going to frog it or not.

Maybe you and I should get together with our socks... They are not my forte either. I started a pair of socks (beginning at the toe) and am getting to the heel on both. Maybe we can sew yours and mine together for a pair :D I will finish them since I refuse to be defeated by a pattern! :angry

Well, I have a package now to send to my secret pal. I crocheted a small item for her to go along with the two knitted items. I still have the final few rounds of a square for CDBear to finish and then the collar on my Cold Shoulders to finish then I'm done for the quarter. :clap

Congrats, Jen, on finishing that blanket! It looks great. :hook

I would love to see pics of the Cold Shoulders!

Doesn't look like I will have my shawl done by end of quarter, or all the teddies dressed (sewing project). But they really don't need to be finished until May 1st, so I can let them hang for awhile. While family was outside yesterday, helping DH by trying to fix his speedometer (it wouldn't go over 50), I was able to get alot of crocheting done without having to fetch and carry all day. I made a rose boucle hat and matching scarf, a juliet style boucle hat, and 1/2 of a poncho I call "On the prowl" as it is a jungle print fancy fur and Moda Dea Prima mix. Sooooooo super soft and fuzzy. And then I made 6 tiny floral appliques to be attached to the ankles of 3 pair of stretchy loafer socks. Really on a roll now, so I am going back to finish off that poncho.

Guess it wasn't the plug after all, as camera still not charging. I reset everything and hopefully it will take a charge this time.

I would love to see pics of the Cold Shoulders!

It was a little too cold for me to be modeling it today, but once it gets a little warmer I'll get some photos of it. I got it totally finished today, pom poms and all. lol

and 1/2 of a poncho I call "On the prowl" as it is a jungle print fancy fur and Moda Dea Prima mix. Sooooooo super soft and fuzzy. And then I made 6 tiny floral appliques to be attached to the ankles of 3 pair of stretchy loafer socks. Really on a roll now, so I am going back to finish off that poncho.

Guess it wasn't the plug after all, as camera still not charging. I reset everything and hopefully it will take a charge this time.

Your 'On the Prowl' poncho sounds amazing! It will be really fun to wear. Hope your camera charges...I think the darn things are just temperamental (sp?)sometimes!

th_JensWork002.jpg

th_JensWork004.jpg

Jen,

Love your babyghan! Funny thing is...this pattern was the first anykind afghan I ever did and I did it in the exact same color blue...simply Soft I think. Beautiful job. I can't wait to do another one. The people I gave it to absolutely adored it and MADE me put a label with my name on it.

Thanks for sharing!

Sharon

TRIED one crocheted sock - NOT MY FORTE! Ribbing unfinished and I have not decided if I'm going to frog it or not.

I have crocheted 2 pairs of "socks." The first pair I attempted to follow a pattern, but after awhile just made it up as I went. I used some Baby Clouds yarn (I hate the stuff - so hard to see your stitches and then theres the extra fluff that comes off too) that I had leftover and wanted some super soft socks. They are more like slippers and while I wouldnt go out of the house in them, they are pretty warm!

I did the same thing when I decided to teach myself to knit, but I wish I hadn't bought the straight needles. I pretty much use circulars for all knitting now. I haven't done circular knitting yet, so I haven't had to break out the DPNs yet.

So far the straight needles are working out ok to learn the basics on. I have made one wash cloth and am working on another. I bought the stitch n bitch book last night and skimmed through it.

I am so glad I actually made sense that way. It took me the longest time to grasp it also, but when I did, I realized I like it much better than doing the same patterns on straights cause I don't have to purl or seam. Those are my two most dreaded knitting tasks!

I have been knitting for a total of 2 days now and I hate purling too! I am doing a whole face cloth in the purl stitch just to make myself do it and get the hang of it.

Whoo Hoo! I finished my Blue Jeans Shawl!

Washed and blocked too. (clickable)

th_045.jpg

th_041.jpg

th_044.jpg

The blocking really opened up the lace. Just in time for the midnight deadline!

I don't have a list of new projects yet--but I remembered that I told my mother last summer I would make her something to put her clothespins in. I even bought some cord to do it--so I think that will be one project!

Whoo Hoo! I finished my Blue Jeans Shawl!

That looks so great! You did a wonderful job on that shawl!

I didn't get the square for CDBear yet, so that's going near the top of my list. I'll be posting my new one shortly after midnight (eastern), if I'm still up. Otherwise, it'll be some time tomorrow afternoon due to morning classes.

Archived