Having Fun & Getting It Done CAL/KAL 4th Quarter!

I haven't done links much....did you try posting the link and then seeing if it still works, even with the ****? I think the 'ville server sometimes shortens or abbreviates some links but they still work.

When you try to insert a link and get a bunch of asterisks like that, it is because we have the URL filtered out so that it can not be posted here at Crochetville. There are a few popular sites that are full of copyright and/or trademark violations, such as posting scans of patterns without permission from the copyright holder or posting patterns of trademarked characters/logos without permission from the trademark owner.

Thats what Donna told me! I'm sorta relieved that it wasnt something I was doing! :lol

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you try to insert a link and get a bunch of asterisks like that, it is because we have the URL filtered out so that it can not be posted here at Crochetville. There are a few popular sites that are full of copyright and/or trademark violations, such as posting scans of patterns without permission from the copyright holder or posting patterns of trademarked characters/logos without permission from the trademark owner.

Thats what Donna told me! I'm sorta relieved that it wasnt something I was doing! :lol

That's good to know!! LOL, I'm glad you're off the hook.:lol

Kim

Thank you so much, elaines630! I appreciate it! :)

So all the links I found that I was going to send you are filtered by the ville. But this one is not!!!:clap:cheer

http://www.yarnstandards.com/crochet.html

I want to make sure it seems like a legit website and would have no copyright issues. I would hope that since its called Standards and Guidelines, it would know how to follow them and not have any copyrighted items on there. :D

I just looked around that website and there is a lot of useful info on there!!! Size measurements, yarn sizes, hook sizes - I'm going to have to bookmark this page for me! (plus there is knitting stuff on there too - which will help soon)

I guess it about time to declare my projects for the 2nd Quarter! I will finish a shawl for me, make my first round ripple, and a pair of wrist warmers for my sister to wear at her computer. Thats all I can think of for now. May add more later. We're going to be very busy in May so I may not get through it all.

I've been thinking about trying a round ripple too....What pattern do you think you'll use? I would need a super easy one!:yes

Ok 2nd quarter list! (Doesn't it seem like 2008 JUST started?)

1. ABC Blanket II - 22%

2. Bedspread - 25 - 12 inch squares - 1%

3. Lil' Monkies Baby Afghan/Seija Hat - still have to buy my yarns!

4. LEARN TO KNIT - need to buy everything for this!

So far that is my list. This really seems to be a learning quarter. The ABC Blanket is squares to sew together. I am trying to find some way to puff stitch them together, but I'm not totally sure how thats going to work. I'm still experimenting

The bedspread is going to be truly a learning experience! I am not using any patterns. I was so proud of myself to be able to crochet a whole square not looking at my stitch n' bitch book for guidance. I have a graph of what I want each square to look like and the colors, but each square is going to be designed as I go. I've said it before, but I am ignoring the thought of this becoming a UFO and sitting in the closet forever.

Speaking of a UFO sitting in my closet, I was really tempted to put the Circles to Squares Afghan back on my list and force myself to make it after seeing Kim's on her list. But I'm not. I think I am going to frog it. Maybe some of the squares are the size needed to send to people doing charity afghans.

Ravelry has really been the deciding factor for me to learn to knit. I have seen all these beautiful patterns only to be disappointed that they are knitting patterns. No more! So thats my quarter!

Ok 2nd quarter list! (Doesn't it seem like 2008 JUST started?)

Ravelry has really been the deciding factor for me to learn to knit. I have seen all these beautiful patterns only to be disappointed that they are knitting patterns. No more! So thats my quarter!

That's what made me want to learn to knit too! I think Relynn posted that she learned and is doing well with it...I really want to learn too!

Can't wait to see how your bedspread turns out!

That's what made me want to learn to knit too! I think Relynn posted that she learned and is doing well with it...I really want to learn too!

Can't wait to see how your bedspread turns out!

Yep... I sure did. I've finished three dishcloths and have one that's teaching me how to increase and decrease on the needles that I work on as I get time before classes. My goal is to make the Sahara sweater for myself that's over at Stitch Diva's site.

The hardest part for me was just getting comfortable with holding two needles and yarn instead of one hook and yarn. I'm finding that beyond that, it's easier to knit than to crochet, because it's only 2 stitches and slight variations of those 2 stitches that gets all the effects that knitting offers. Crochet will always have my heart though. It's the best for instant gratification. :hook

~Relynn

I think I will give this a try. I'm pretty new here, less than a month, and am still trying to figure out abbreviations, projects, etc. (By the way is there a thread with abbreviation explanations anywhere?? I moderate a neurology board and have a sticky abbreviation thread at the top of every forum; it's really helpful for newbies.)

I hope I do this right! Please let me know if I don't! :)

CAL 2nd quarter projects:

Caps for hospital's NICU and the school distribution program

Socks

Felted coin purse for daughter

Felted potholders

Dishcloths and dishtowels

Welcome, Keesha! Your list looks like it will keep you busy in the upcoming quarter. I look forward to seeing your progress.

I have decided to join this CAL/KAL and have listed what I plan to get done in my siggy below! I know there's something I'm forgetting, but I'll update it as I go along!

Now to finish up the projects I've been working on so I can start fresh on Monday, along with this semester's college courses!

Welcome, Suzanne! I'm also a college student and I've found this CAL to be great at helping me keep my hobby time organized while I juggle school, kids, hubby, and life in general. Good luck getting your items completed!

I'll probably be posting my 2Q2008 list at the last possible minute. :lol

Here's my status update though:

I've finished that knitted item for my secret pal.

I only have to put the collar on my Cold Shoulders (3 rows then weave in ends).

I still haven't touched the last square for CD Bear, mainly because I forgot again. Doh!

Should be all finished by the weekend and able to plan a list on Monday.

If you haven't already, start thinking about what you want to accomplish between April 1 and June 30.

Happy yarnplay everybody!

~Relynn

I've been thinking about trying a round ripple too....What pattern do you think you'll use? I would need a super easy one!:yes

Me Too! I searched the 'ville and found a couple. The one in the RR CAL looks nice. There was one at a website call Sew On Fire Ministries.

Yep... I sure did. I've finished three dishcloths and have one that's teaching me how to increase and decrease on the needles that I work on as I get time before classes. My goal is to make the Sahara sweater for myself that's over at Stitch Diva's site.

The hardest part for me was just getting comfortable with holding two needles and yarn instead of one hook and yarn. I'm finding that beyond that, it's easier to knit than to crochet, because it's only 2 stitches and slight variations of those 2 stitches that gets all the effects that knitting offers. Crochet will always have my heart though. It's the best for instant gratification. :hook

~Relynn

Holding 2 needles and yarn seems to be my biggest challenge too. That's good to know about the stitches...I hadn't looked at it that way but it's very encouraging to know I don't have to learn more than 2 right now!:lol

I love the Sahara sweater!

Me Too! I searched the 'ville and found a couple. The one in the RR CAL looks nice. There was one at a website call Sew On Fire Ministries.

Thanks Suzy, I'll have to check those out!

Here is my list (and I am probably in the running for an over-achiever award - or nutty - she has no grip on reality award :lol ):

New stuff:

1) baby blanket to make for co-worker's wife who is due in July

2) striped sweater for me from swap pattern using pink Joanne boucle

3) one skein scarf for me with new yarn from ebay

4) two bedside rugs in Lion brand suede for my Sunshine and me

On-going stuff:

5) Fix the stars on Sunshine’s afghan

6) Baby shells blanket in peach and white (25% done)

7) Baby shells blanket in mismatched no-dye lot pinks (75% done)

8) Knit sweater for me (10% done)

9) Lots of yo-yos to join together

10) Use up stash - make Baby yarn squares and WW squares for charity

11) Finish my crochet socks (50% done)

Some of these are things that have been on-going for awhile. I want to work my way through my stash and make up squares to make into charity afghans so I'll keep you updated as that progresses. I am also planning to make a bunch of ME stuff :D The highest priority thing is the baby afghan for my co-worker. I am still contemplating a pattern for them.

Wish me luck :P

Well. did it. I broke down and bought a Peaches n Cream 1lb cone in Peppercorn Ombre and made my first dishcloth! I love it. No pics had to try it out right away. I also finished the Flower Power poncho for my sister. The reason i chose it is because I had some Fancy Fur that I had bought with her in mind. But it's mostly black and doesn't look very springy :(. I will post a pic of the poncho soon. I am just happy to have finished SOMETHING! Since I finished my list I have really been crocheting aimlessly. :lol Am working on 2nd quarter list.

Well. did it. I broke down and bought a Peaches n Cream 1lb cone in Peppercorn Ombre and made my first dishcloth! I love it. No pics had to try it out right away. I also finished the Flower Power poncho for my sister. The reason i chose it is because I had some Fancy Fur that I had bought with her in mind. But it's mostly black and doesn't look very springy :(. I will post a pic of the poncho soon. I am just happy to have finished SOMETHING! Since I finished my list I have really been crocheting aimlessly. :lol Am working on 2nd quarter list.

Congrats on finishing! Is the poncho pattern a free pattern? I'm looking for a good poncho pattern right now....

:clap

That is a pretty color mix!!! I got a 1lb cone of Earthtone (mix of sage, brown, rose and cream) for kitchen items and I love it. I dont know if I will ever use it all though!!

~Relynn

Have you tried knitting a pair of socks? Thats really what I want to do, but I have a feeling it may not be the best thing to try to start with... but I probably will anyways :lol

I just posted this list 2 days ago and I'm already changing a couple of items!

1. Siobhanna Sweater (Gourmet Crochet pattern)

2. Tie Front Sweater (Positively Crochet pattern)

3. Seraphina Shawl

4. Another Whiz of a Sweater (Big Hook Crochet book...want to try it in a different yarn)

5. Circle to Square Afghan (Love the pattern, hate the joining!)

6. Cardi-Shawl (CGOA pattern)

I decided I didn't like the poncho pattern with the yarn I have so I'm going to do the Cardi-Shawl pattern instead. I've had it for a while but never tried it.

And I may use the yarn I have for the Tie-Front Sweater to make the Seraphina Shawl. I've really been wanting to make that shawl and it looks like they've made the directions simpler!

Decisions, decisions......:scrachin

That is a pretty color mix!!! I got a 1lb cone of Earthtone (mix of sage, brown, rose and cream) for kitchen items and I love it. I dont know if I will ever use it all though!!

:lol Well, all my relatives who have already received afghans are getting kitchen stuff this year. I think that will definately make a dent in it. :lol

So the Giant Granny Square #1 isn't quite done, like I had hoped.... life in general seemed to annoy me last night and I just couldn't focus for very long... I only have like half of the last round of single crochets to go.... so it's almost there.... and only like three or four ends to weave in.... I'm so proud of myself.... the colors change with every round and I wove in those ends with every round!!!!!! hehe it's so nice that it will be done done not finished but the ends still need to be worked in!!! :hook

now to just start working on #2 and then the pillows I planned on making to match both afghans.....

they are for wedding gifts... do you think just an afghan is enough or will it be a "better" (for lack of a better word) gift with a pillow??? opions please, thanks!

they are for wedding gifts... do you think just an afghan is enough or will it be a "better" (for lack of a better word) gift with a pillow??? opions please, thanks!

I think just the afghan is fine and a pillow is an added bonus!

Have you tried knitting a pair of socks? Thats really what I want to do, but I have a feeling it may not be the best thing to try to start with... but I probably will anyways :lol

I haven't tried socks yet, but.... I want to knit some yoga socks that I found on Ravelry. I need some and the ones for sale (manufactured) are a bit pricey. I've got a massive amount of fingering weight cotton yarn in my stash that would do very well I think. And it would leave me enough of the yarn to still make some warm weather garments and accessories. I've heard a person or two on Ravelry say they started with socks so they would instantly be over the fear of using DPNs and knitting in the round. I wish I had done that. Knitting in the round is my biggest source of confusion. I just don't get how you go from casting on to linking it in a loop. I can't join it with a slip stitch like I do with crochet. :lol Luckily my local knitting group has a bunch of ladies who like to knit socks. I know they'll help me out.

Archived