Let the Stash Busting Begin!

Alright, ladies and gents, it's May and those of us who have committed ourselves to staying out of the yarn sections of Wal-Mart, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joann's and all the LYS's around need all the support we can get! We need the encouragement of everyone on the board to help us stay strong and refrain from buying yarn!!

Now, for those in the secret pal swap, destashing can be accomplished through your pal, and yarn acquired from your pal does NOT count against you, so don't worry about that. Remember, we're not allowed to BUY yarn (or sweaters, afghans, etc. for the purpose of frogging for yarn!) during the month of May.

Can we do it? Yes, we can! :cheer

Stash Busters unite! :ghug

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have to put a button on my blog, but I'm already getting started on busting. Have a Fall scarf almost half done and colors set aside for another one. I hope the sense of accomplishment at seeing the space freed up will overcome the frustration of not being able to buy anything.

I'm definately in! No yarn for the month of May! ::holding up my right hand:: I swear!

I'm in too! It's already hard, though! I wanted to make one of those rose bath poufs for my Mom for Mothers' Day, and I didn't get to Joann in time to pick up the yarn I need, so that's just going to have to wait.

Should we do before and after stash pictures?

I'm still in. As hard as it is going to be..... I am in.

Fortunately, I have some charity things I am working on using yarn I got through Freecycle to keep me busy. I already purchased all the yarn I needed for my swaps and secret pal gifts back in April, so I am covered there.

I will do my best not to think about peaches and cream cotton yarn through out the month of May. I will not covet the beautiful cotton yarn I see when I go to Michael's or A.c Moore for other crafting needs. I will stay strong and fight any urges I get to touch, smell and admire any yarn or yarn products!

Yarnmistress (Pam)

I will do my best not to think about peaches and cream cotton yarn through out the month of May. I will not covet the beautiful cotton yarn I see when I go to Michael's or A.c Moore for other crafting needs. I will stay strong and fight any urges I get to touch, smell and admire any yarn or yarn products!

Yarnmistress (Pam)

I will not even think about all the thrift store and yard sale sweaters that are waiting for me to buy and frog them.

:lol:lol:drool:ghug

I'm in - I may need to buy one or two skeins of white (for joining a remembrance comfortghan, we're using a specific brand and specific colors for joining, and I think I may be slightly short on the white - we'll see) but other than that I'm in!

It actually shouldn't be too bad, considering we're moving in a few weeks! :)

I have not purchased any yarn or stash. I have, however, just packaged some yarn to give to a woman who recently lost her baby. 5 skeins, hooks (G-K) & instruction/pattern book! Does this give me extra credit??? Can I buy yet? Plus I've made squares for comfortghans and doing more for another 'ghan. Bonus points?????

Only two days in and we already have people trying to cheat! :devil Why do I have the feeling a lot of us just aren't going to make it through a whole month? :eek

What if we buy yarn, but don't crochet with it? Lion Brand sent out an e-mail with the CUTEST make it yourself Mother's Day cards and I don't have any of that ribbon stuff on hand - the LB Incredible. If we buy ONE ball and use it to embellish a card, does it count? Am I cheating? :D I'm just trying to please my Mommy! :hug Well, in any case....I am using my stash...made a soda can cozy over the weekend with many requests for more...plus a new pillowghan in the works along with the stash bustin afghan I already started....

I am into 3 May over here in Oz and all is well. I have occupied myself by working on the Power Rangers beanie for Brendan. I happened to have his favourite colour in my stash. I am also making charity things and 2 matching beanies for twin preemies that were born over the weekend and are 12 weeks early!! :eek

My sis, Raquel, and I have talked on the phone about our commitment to busting our stashes which was very helpful.

To help, I have made May my "overhaul" month. I have started walking to work everyday and hunny and I are not eating out for the entire month of May!! So far so good!! :tup

Bec

Seriously, I have no intentions of buying any yarn in the month of May. I made a committment and am sticking to it. I will concentrate this month on making my swap partners things (Kitchen/Bath and Secret Pal) along with charity squares/afghans/hats & whatever else comes of need. Currently I am working on a fish for a little boy. It's a challenge for me because I've never made a toy before except for dolphins (which was already chosen). So, even tho I may tease about buying, I promise, I won't! So do I still have to put a quarter in the jar every time I tease??? I could buy my dream house in the Keys in June if I do!

I haven't bought any yarn, nor have I even been to a craft store or the crafting section of Wal-Mart since I bought my cotton for the dishcloth swap! :D

I bought so much that I should be set for dishcloths this month! Also, I bought enough to make water bottle covers for a local HS softball team. I'm just waiting for the number of girls on the team so I can get hooking on them!

As far as "other" stash, I dipped in last night and started (and frogged) a Seraphina shawl in RH Symphony Earth Tones (it's brown). I need to look at the pictures again to try to figure out what I'm doing wrong!

I just thought of the ultimate "cheat". I volunteer in a thrift store, so I get some perks, like having stuff set aside until I can pay for it. If I find sweaters for frogging and have them put away til June, am I cheating? I just know I'm gonna be desperate before the end of the month, and I'm not going to be paying for them, so I'm still within the letter of the law, right? Huh? Huh? Please?

Bec, May is kind of going to be our "overhaul" month, too. My 10-year :eek HS reunion is this summer, so I want to tone up a little bit, and hubster's wanting to get rid of his belly. We're going to try to start eating better and exercising more, plus I want to be better about keeping up the house, etc. If I can get the stash whittled down and organized, that will help. Plus, Jared got the girls to share a bedroom, so we're going to turn the "new" room into a multi-purpose exercise/craft/play room. I'm so excited! :cheer

I really shouldn't have promised! I've been pining for a good yarn store for over a year now. There are three that I've found so far - Walmart and Zellars, whose selections are so very sorry and prices are never great, and I forgot the name of the other, whose only perk was CottonTots (only primary colors) were 3.99 compared to 5.79 at Zellars. But, last night, I waspoking around online and found one that sells PATONS! All different kinds and none of the others carry any! I've been dying to try Grace and it's there! :clap There's no way I can wait. I actually told my husband I was going to visit today and although he didn't say anything, he did roll his eyes. However, it's almost noon and I haven't left and it's naptime soon, so maybe I can hold out a little longer. :devil

So far so good here. I haven't set foot in a craft store or thought about yarn (other than what I already have). I've been busy working away on my kitchen/bath swap items and It's teacher appreciation week at school so I made some things for my daughters teachers.

Infact, today has been a great day. I have accomplished alot, which makes me so happy. I have a few more teacher items to get started on and then I am going to sit and read for a while.

Good job ladies, and have a great day!

Okay, it's been one week into this stash-busting, and this thread is oddly rather quiet - how's everybody doing? Anybody quietly sweating bullets, trying to tough it out? Anybody willing to step forward and admit they've folded? :hug

Curious minds want to know! :devil

If anybody's got any JoAnn's or Michaels coupons laying around tempting them, I'd be more than happy to help you get rid of that temptation! Just trying to be helpful here... :lol

Good luck gals, you are definitely more brave than me!

it's been hard...but I am sticking to it. Yesterday I told my hubby I had a confession to make. He just smiled and said "You bought yarn didnt' you?" I was able to hold my head high and tell him no (although I did have to tell him what I did buy gggg) I have used quite a bit of my stash up making my alphabet pillows and vafious other little things for the kids. Plus my kids are now crocheting and they are using up odds and ends too. Wooo hoooo

I've been doing great. Haven't bought any yarn or stash at all. In fact, have been busy making things with all my stash. So far so good!

Still going strong. Been busy working on things for Wovennspun (kitchen/bath swap) and things for my secret pal. I think this stash busting was such a great idea, because it really has helped me get through my stash and actually get into projects and finish them.

I have been visiting the library alot lately and checking out great books on thread crochet and other projects....It's been great trying out new things. I'm even attempting an afghan like the ones Tampadoll made (Dora and Princess). She is heloing me get started and I am so excited to get into it.

I haven't been to a craftstore or to my LYS since April. My mother has, but only to buy clay and things for our beadmaking.

Good job ladies...keep it up!

Archived