Let the Stash Busting Begin!

:rofl Kimberly! Thanx for the support. I CAN do it. I'm that little ol' ant, remember. BTW, ya know if the group knew exactly what brand of yarn & color, you might just get some RAOK's to you. Just a thought.... :devil

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know Diamond, you could stuff it with scraps of yarn instead... ;) Use up some stash and avoid the store at the same time!

I couldn't join the stash busting with you guys because I had already spent most of March and April stash busting so I could spend money at MDS+W.

Now it's after S+W, I just ordered my wheel [!], and DH is changing jobs, so I am going to be in a stash-busting myself starting... now. It will likely continue through the summer, with a few exceptions here and there.

It feels a bit liberating really, to think that I am going to clear out my stash which is threatening to take over the house.

So while you guys are gearing up to start re-adding to your stash, I'm ready to stop for a while. :)

:clap to all of you! I know how difficult it is and I need the support, too! :)

stay strong, diamond - go in, fiberfill and a chocolate truffle for being so good... and right out... don't even go near it!!! WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!

so far i'm doing good.... which is MUCH more than i was expecting of myself :cheer i've only had to make 1 very small purchase of a ball of thread - and only because it wasn't for me.... it was for gifts (think you'll see it turn up around the board in a pieces in a few weeks :hook )

I am in need of Lamb's Pride 85% Wool/ 15% mohair in Pine Tree and Noro Kureyon in color 74.

Here's a picture of what I am working on

Dscn1206.jpg

I don't think I am too terribly worried about the dye lots as long as they look close enough but have the dye lot info if anyone wants it. I am still working on creating this pattern but again the swatch turned out neat and can't wait to see what I come up with :hook

:rofl Kimberly! Thanx for the support. I CAN do it. I'm that little ol' ant, remember. BTW, ya know if the group knew exactly what brand of yarn & color, you might just get some RAOK's to you. Just a thought.... :devil

I went, I looked, I touched, I snuggled AND I didn't buy!!!! Not one skein of yarn, no new hooks, no new patterns, not even any new polymer clay! :clap Although I did buy some lobster clasps for another project and the fiberfill, that's all I bought! I honestly didn't need anything else. I have more than enough stash & hooks. They didn't have any new pattern books (when I got home, the new 'Crochet' issue was in my mailbox but that doesn't count). I am so proud of myself I can't stand it. Now to go stuff M and take pictures of M and a couple of thread items I did last night. :clap

Jess....I'm afraid yarn would poke out holes and M isn't something I could put a knee-hi or pantyhose into.

Kimberly, I love that color of Lamb's Pride. It's gorgeous. I'm off to go look thru my stash to see if I have any of that particular color now and to stuff M.

Ooooooh man I feel like I'm cheating ... some of you know about the comfortghan project I'm doing ... well, I'm receiving yarn in the mail from the ladies who don't know how to crochet (I'm making their squares). I'm not buying the yarn but man I think I'm enjoying opening those boxes a tiny bit too much ... lol.

I swear I haven't bought anymore though ... I have looked, but not touched, when in temptations way.

I have problems with all those yarn ads in my e-mail, too! I was doing fine until...

I had a major moment of weakness last week when I thought I lost my kitty, and I flunked out! :( I bought yarn to make two Bernat bags, and a kit last week...it's just taken me this long to finally admit it to everyone here. :embar

I promise I'll be good and not buy any more this month; maybe next month, too. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to dig my hole deeper, but I resisted the temptation. Wal-Mart has a wonderful-looking ladder-ribbon yarn from Caron (sorry can't remember the name), and I can't wait to try it. Now, before you wonder why I was in the craft section, I needed material to make my SIL's diaper bag. Fabric, mind you, not yarn. :manyheart

You'd all be so proud of me today. I had to run into Wal-mart ( I am not fond of this store at all) and I ended up picking up a cone of ombre cotton yarn and 3 balls of denim. When we got to the register, my mom goes to pay for her things and I looked at the yarn and was like " WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING?????" I quickly put them back and left empty handed.

My girls were laughing at me, because I sort of freaked out for a second there. My oldest asked me why I didn't buy the yarn and all I could say was " I am not weak, I can go a month without buying yarn". She just laughed.

Phewww! I almost didn't make it there.

Congrats, Pam! I did the same at Michael's yesterday. AND I've been using up a ton of my stash on swaps: Kitchen/Bath swap = cotton, Bookmark Swap = thread, all other swaps = all other yarns. I'm so proud of myself and glad to be using up this stash!

Woo hoo...:clap Congratulations on your willpower.

You'd all be so proud of me today. I had to run into Wal-mart ( I am not fond of this store at all) and I ended up picking up a cone of ombre cotton yarn and 3 balls of denim. When we got to the register, my mom goes to pay for her things and I looked at the yarn and was like " WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING?????" I quickly put them back and left empty handed.

My girls were laughing at me, because I sort of freaked out for a second there. My oldest asked me why I didn't buy the yarn and all I could say was " I am not weak, I can go a month without buying yarn". She just laughed.

Good for you!! :yay

I found a way to reduce my stash and make money at the same time. Ok...you all are going to think I am bbaaaaaaadddd.

I am teaching my kids how to crochet using my old acrylic yarns that I don't like so much anymore. (you know...those that aren't that soft or the colors aren't that dazzling...I mean...I have now officially become a yarn snob and all) Anyway...hubby and I thought that a way to make sure they really were interested in the yarn was to make them buy it. This way they learn to be a little more responsible, a little more appreciative, etc. Well, with 3 out of the 5 kiddos now actively crocheting, I have made 5.50! Woo hoo. I am on a roll. (tee hee). But seriously, they have been helping to reduce my stash and learn at the same time. Yesterday the boys were playing basketball in the backyard. The dog accidentally popped the ball they were using. Instead of telling me they had nothing to do, I noticed a few minutes later both (9 and 11 by the way) had their crochet boxes out and were working on their projects! you go boys!

Kimberly, I do basically the same when someone wants me to teach them to crochet. I give them yarn I don't like or want (usually the stiff acrylics & odd (ugly) colors :devil ) and an old hook that I have several of. That is, if they don't want to go out and buy their own supplies first.

Uuuuuuuuuuuugh!! Went to Savers yesterday (thrift store) and on my way from appliances to kids clothes I saw they actually had YARN in the craft store!! In colors I've been wanting to get!! I was good, and didn't get it but man ... that stunk. They very rarely have yarn and when they do ... I've sworn off yarn, lol.

I had a close call today! Was making a sheep measuring tape, got to where I needed to change color to black....couldn't find no black acrylic or anything close. I have black wool, black Sirdar Yo-Yo, black chenille, black wool-ease, black threads, black cotton, black fun fur, everything but plain ol' simple black. I thought...OH NO...I'm going to either have to wait until June to finish this or break my stashbusters oath! But I kept looking & digging and finally found a tote full of 'odds & ends' yarns...there was a bit of black....plain ol' black!! I was elated!!! Finished my sheep and still have enough for another....and didn't break my oath!!! :cheer

I had a close call today! Was making a sheep measuring tape, got to where I needed to change color to black....couldn't find no black acrylic or anything close. I have black wool, black Sirdar Yo-Yo, black chenille, black wool-ease, black threads, black cotton, black fun fur, everything but plain ol' simple black. I thought...OH NO...I'm going to either have to wait until June to finish this or break my stashbusters oath! But I kept looking & digging and finally found a tote full of 'odds & ends' yarns...there was a bit of black....plain ol' black!! I was elated!!! Finished my sheep and still have enough for another....and didn't break my oath!!! :cheer

Woo hoo. So glad you found what you needed. And did you say sheep measuring tape????? Oh come on share that pattern (if you can) or at least share a picture

Picture is on the Show & Tell thread....and the pattern should be posted tomorrow (as long as no interruptions). It would have been posted tonight but hubby wanted to go out for dinner.

Picture is on the Show & Tell thread....and the pattern should be posted tomorrow (as long as no interruptions). It would have been posted tonight but hubby wanted to go out for dinner.

how DARE he? Does he know we have some crocheting to do? :hook

Seriously, though, I did see the sheepie and I just love him.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like I made it.

I have done a good job of almost using up all of my thread stash. I still have too much yarn. I have decided to donate some of it. I'll keep a few skeins around to use for charity or comforghan requests.

How is everyone else doing?

The bust was a bust for me. I was given so many sweaters and other stuff to frog that I wound up with more yarn than ever. And I did hardly any crocheting. Boooo!

Archived