How do you prefer to buy patterns...

For Patterns do you prefer to....  

183 members have voted

1. 1. For Patterns do you prefer to....

• buy magazines
    • buy single patterns
    • buy booklets with 10 or less patterns
    • buy book with lots of patterns

I have a subscription to Crochet World so that is where most of my patterns come from (other than the Internet) but before I would buy leaflets that had a dozen or more pattern for the same type of item (potholders, dishcloths, etc). I have a few books with patterns but I find that most books have only a few patterns that I like, not enought to justify the cost of the book for me. :crocheting

I purchase pattern :books ! I also love crochet magazines (I now subscribe to three - :gotmail)! But, I have also purchased individual patterns. And I :ccompute free ones from CPC and other sites, and of course from fellow 'Villers!

Perhaps you should add another poll choices that reads "All of the above" (:rofl)! Or "Most of the above" anyway....

I'm a pattern-a-holic, so I buy patterns in books, magazines, leaflets, internet, whatever way I can get them!

Merry Christmas to everyone, my son made it home safe and sound from Iraq, so we had the best gift of all.

Hope you all had a happy one.

Lisa

I buy patterns in all the ways mentioned.:hook One thing I did start doing though, was no matter how the pattern was printed, book, single or so on, when I decided to to make the pattern I made a copy of it, either with my all in one printer, or with the big copy machine where my daughter works. This way I can take the pattern with me when purchasing yarn.

I have a tendency to write or mark on a pattern I am working on. I put a check mark on the row I am currently doing so if I need to lay the project down I know where to start up again. If I have to repeat a row several times, I make marks at the bottom of the page to keep up with how many rows I have worked.

I take my current project wit me a lot of times. No project is too big to be portable if need be :lol I find a few folded pages are easier to transport than a whole book.

By the time the project is completed the copied pages are a bit worn and marked all over so I just toss them a way, but I still have the original pattern in tip top conditon :)

I'm a pattern-a-holic, so I buy patterns in books, magazines, leaflets, internet, whatever way I can get them!

Lisa

That's me. I prefer to buy books on sale LOL:devil

It all depends, but usually I like to get a book with a lot of patterns. I try not to order on-line sight-unseen, though, as I've been burned by that. I find it's better to get books at the local bookstore, where I can check them out ahead of time (either that, or I check them out, and then order on-line, if it will be a lot cheaper).

I prefer to buy crochet books for my patterns. I find that the patterns are more modern, they all come with pictures, and i get a whole collection of them.

As a member of CGOA I get my Bi-monthly issue of Crochet. I buy books that have patterns that really catch my eye. I rarely buy a single pattern though. For single patterns, I try to figure how to make it using my existing pattern books and magizines.

I find that most books have only a few patterns that I like, not enought to justify the cost of the book for me. :crocheting

Yeah, me too Cat3!

I like single patterns or booklets because, for the most part, I only keep the patterns that I really like, and I don't want to have to dig through a book for a specific pattern. That, and I'm cheap so I choose to spend most of my craft budget on yarn rather than on patterns :P

I know that's right Jess. There are sooooo many free patterns on the 'net with manufacturers wanting us to use their particular yarns for this or that particular pattern. I already have a 3/4" binder, indexed off, with various patterns. A pattern has to reallly WOW me for me to put out $ for it. It just seems the magazines and books may have one or two patterns that I like though they are chock full of them.

And not sure why, but I am seriously NOT into toys, bobbles, doilies & such. I am totally into women's apparel for the most part.

I have lots of magazines, either given to me, or bought, singly or by subscription. I grab free patterns from the displays at stores, if they interest me, and I get free patterns on the web. I do not purchase patterns online as I don't use credit cards. But I did buy one through the mail from some blog, can't remember where. I have purchased Leisure Art booklets many times, and always look through pattern books when I am in a store, in case there is one I really like. As for the patterns I get from the web, I have six very thick binders with patterns in protector sleeves.... but some are for cross-stitch or other things to make for gifts, etc.

In short... I will not live long enough to make all the patterns I have collected. I am going to will them to someone who loves crocheting as much as I do.

• 1 month later...

I aquire them in all the ways mentioned but think most nowadays are downloaded free patterns. I also have a set of Happy Hands (magazines in red binders). There are sewing, knitting, lace making etc. patterns in them. These are vintage ("70s ) patterns but a lot of them are treasures when worked in todays colors/yarns. There are a lot of clothing items as well as household items. Can you tell I love them? They were givrn to me by a very dear friend in L.V. She is still my very best friend in the whole world

I have a couple crochet books of patterns, but really prefer the magazines bacause I get a number of types of patterns in one place. What I am interested in making can change from one year to the next, and I have a library of different patterns to chose from in most genres this way.

• 1 month later...

Archived