Knitting War Game in Wall Street Journal!

:cheerGood morning! My sister, a knitter, sent me a PDF copy of an article from today's WSJ that profiles the "Sock War" knitting game that recently ended.

It's hilarious to think of "killing" someone with a pair of socks--wait until you read it!

Well, that's the rub. I don't know how to post the info. It's in a PDF because the WSJ is a paid membership site. I can't just link y'all to it. I seached the FAQ here to see if there was anything relevant on how to do this. Not sure if I could copy/paste the information w/ the copyright.

Would someone please let me know?

There's great publicity for the hobbies of both crochet and knitting, despite the fact that Crochetville isn't mentioned.

Thanks, All.

~K

I read it and I don't think I have a membership. (Unless my husband... but... nah, I don't think so.) Here 'ya go. Sock Wars. I followed this some the first year Julie had the contest. It was fun to watch all the knitters moan about being "killed". Maybe someday I can learn to knit socks and be fast enough to join the fun.

P.S. This page isn't a PDF, so I'm not sure what is up.

That does sound like fun and I just finished knitting my first pair of socks for myself but I wouldn't want to give them away, no way!

I gave away my first pair......it was hard to do, but I know the person that received them loves them as much as I did!!

If you decide to do this, take note of some of the Sock Wars specs. They all did the same pattern for the whole contest. Because each person had a specific target to assassinate the sizes of the socks varied, depending on how long you stayed "alive".

I'm not sure about Sock Wars but in Sock Madness (yes there was another sock knitting contest — go through their archives to see how that contest was handled) the selection of patterns became increasingly challenging as the rounds narrowed down contenders. Many of the knitters could have churned out simple patterns at an amazing rate so the contest organizers wanted the patterns to be fun and a bit tricky.

What I haven't understood about Sock Wars is that they did it in the fall when everyone is trying to get ready for Christmas. ??? At least the Sock Madness organizers waited till spring.

I am not sure I understand all I know about the game:think If you send the socks to your target, and they are assassinated, why is it the lady in the video never got eliminated? Didn't anyone ever send her a pair of socks?

Are you given a specified time to get the socks mailed out? I just guess I am too dense to understand the game. But if someone could explain it to me so I understand, I would be up for playing it here on Crocheville. How about discloths, they would be simple and fast and everyone could participate even if they were a beginner.:hook

But if we do this, let's not start until after Christmas:eek

The lady in the video was fast (and lucky) because she never got a completed pair of socks sent to her. She, however, managed to keep finishing socks and sending them to her victims. They had a whole sytem worked out so that you would have to finish incomplete socks left by a dead victim before a pair of finished socks came to you. That's why a single pair of socks could be worked on by a dozen people before finishing. The game doesn't work well without a fairly challenging project — not so much that people can't compete or complete the project but enough to be, well, a challenge.

Archived