Groove-Along

JulieKay

So i couldnt find the yarn here in town.... woolease pink... so i went online and ordered it. Im getting 2, one a lighter and one a darker, cuz i cant really tell what they will look like with the rest of the colors.... which are :

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/Dreamer2015/Crochet/DSCI0011.jpg

The pic quality isnt really all that good... but oh well. Im thinking i may need more than just these obvioulsy... but idk. we'll see. I worked out a chart of sorts to figure out what colors to make the 2row squares... like whats in the middle and goes with with 2nd row.... but then i went to figure out the same thing for the 4row squares and then i wondered whether it would be better to keep all the 'centers' uniform or to switch it up...

did anyone have a method to the maddness (sans pattern) or did ya just wing it when it came to deciding what the actual squares looked like?

Heres a granny square blanket of sorts that I made... kinda groovy... inspiration word was 'bohemian' and those notes on it are an indication of what else that yarn was used for so that the recipiant can see all that went into it. http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/Dreamer2015/Crochet/DSCI0003.jpg

And my latest creation!!!!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/Dreamer2015/Crochet/DSCI0021.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/Dreamer2015/Crochet/DSCI0020.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/Dreamer2015/Crochet/DSCI0016.jpg

The body of the bag is made with some awefully orange stuff... like what ... um... its excaping me.... where there are 2 long sticks... and you loop it around and like... crochet in the middle... some sort of lace that may start with an 'H'... anyways... thats what that is made out of ... and then scraps around the edge... and this is the first time i used a lining! Im kinda proud...

thanks all for looking... and i know this is the finished product of some... but... its still groovy right??? Im ALONG for the ride with this babette blanket things... although it may take me years.

have a good one!

amy jo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amy Jo-

I am totally planning how my squares are looking, I have 10 colors, so I'm planning out a balance of the colors.

Here are my 12 and 10 rnd squares for my babette

th_DSC01137.jpg

I did my 12 round squares first... I separated out my colors into 2 piles of 5 colors, and did the first 10 rnds, then decided which 1 color from the other pile would make up the last 2 rounds...

Then for my 10 round squares, the first 10 rounds of my 12 round squares backwards..

Next I'll work my 8 round squares... I havn't planned them out yet, but when i sit to actually do them I'll make a plan at that point, so I can balance the colors, I don't want any one color to really over power the blanket... and this one is for me, so I'm being really picky and taking my time....

granted, I doubt anyone else is so darn meticulous... I might be wrong, but I feel crazy for not being able to "just wing it"

so i broke down and got the pattern... ah well. I went out and stocked up on some more yarn for this too. ive got 4sk. of off white, 4 of turquoise, and 2 of each of: navy, green, lt grey, dk grey, black and then ill have one of each of red, pink, and a darker pink (both of the fushia sort). I ordered my pinks, so once i get those i can start on it the way it says to be worked together. I think i want to add length to it when im done too.

so i broke down and got the pattern... ah well. I went out and stocked up on some more yarn for this too. ive got 4sk. of off white, 4 of turquoise, and 2 of each of: navy, green, lt grey, dk grey, black and then ill have one of each of red, pink, and a darker pink (both of the fushia sort). I ordered my pinks, so once i get those i can start on it the way it says to be worked together. I think i want to add length to it when im done too.

Oh that will be nice! If you're using thick enough yarn, you might be okay. The pattern is for a sport weight yarn. I'm using worsted weight so mine will be big and I'll be fine with that.

Debbi

I haven't seen this CAL before. Very cool! I just finished my second Babette blanket. I did the first for my 5 year old daughter, and the second for my son, whose 7th birthday is today.

Update, I'm working on the 8 round squares now, I have 3 1/2 done, I decided to work from largest to smallest so that as I go along the squares get done faster and faster. I have my completed squares in labeled zip lock bags so I don't have to sort them all out later.

Thank you for the kind compliments. It looks a little lopsided in the photo but in person, it's just perfect. It is definitely my favorite afghan so far.

That is Vanna's Choice yarn which, as far as I'm concerned, is God's gift to afghan crocheters! ;) I just love that yarn and wish they would expand their color pallete.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that I didn't officially join this CAL, but I hope you don't mind if I post the Babette's that I've done and am currently working on. I don't have the pattern. I used the square totals at the beginning of this thread as a start and after the first one figured out how many of each square I needed to do it my own way. The black and neon one turned out looking a little more 'symmetrical' because of the black border on all of the squares.

Doogerblanket2.jpg

My daughter's babette that I call the Punk Rock Rainbow. I am currently finishing the border on this.

BlanketTeoDone3.jpg

My son's babette I call the Sci-Fi Vortex. This one is done.

Thanks for letting me share.

• 5 weeks later...

LionBrand Granny Sampler Afghan, this one kind of reminds of of a Babette and could be considered for this CAL... maybe...

My Babette Inspired hasn't inspired me to work on it for a long time.:blush. I love the finished look. And I have tons of squares done. Maybe this fall, since it's mostly birght colors, I'll want to work on it as the days get shorter. Or maybe I need a :kick.... :lol

Debbi

I know that I didn't officially join this CAL, but I hope you don't mind if I post the Babette's that I've done and am currently working on. I don't have the pattern. I used the square totals at the beginning of this thread as a start and after the first one figured out how many of each square I needed to do it my own way. The black and neon one turned out looking a little more 'symmetrical' because of the black border on all of the squares.

Doogerblanket2.jpg

My daughter's babette that I call the Punk Rock Rainbow. I am currently finishing the border on this.

BlanketTeoDone3.jpg

My son's babette I call the Sci-Fi Vortex. This one is done.

Thanks for letting me share.

Excellent afghans!! Well done!:cheer

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I had some free time today and thought I'd look up this CAL to see what was going on. Mine is still a wip, not forgotten though. I will probably pick it back up this fall.

Bizzy - they just look awesome!! I truly love the black bordered one - all my favorite colors!!

Keri - yours is gorgeous. I love the way the colors look together!

• 2 months later...
Dontcha' hate it when you forget what size HOOK (not needle!) you were using? It's been that long since I last worked on it........

YES! I try to write down the hook size I'm using, but I don't always do that:blush.

I copied the pattern--for my own personal use and so I could write down the hook number (and write other info on it). Of course if I loose that paper then I'd forget.

YES! I try to write down the hook size I'm using, but I don't always do that:blush.

I copied the pattern--for my own personal use and so I could write down the hook number (and write other info on it). Of course if I loose that paper then I'd forget.

Sorry to butt in here on your crochet a long, but I saw this and just thought I'd add my two cents! I have the uncoiled safety pins and place an alphabet bead on the pin (move it past the bent part) along with a few other beads just to be pretty. These pins are letters A-S and I have a few sets of them. As soon as I finish my beginning chain of a project, I place the corresponding letter pin to the hook that I'm using. It sure has helped when I end up leaving the project in a bag for MONTHS and then want to get back to work on it! I have no more problems with remembering what hook I used last!

Yep, I got some alpha markers too that I made with some beads, and it helps alot, as long as you remember to put the marker in... :blush

I just "cleaned" out my yarn baskets, more like just went through them and found all my babette squares...i'm gonna pick this back up in the next week or so,. nice to know this CAL hasn't been lost in the dust. ;o)

Archived