Crocheters against UFOs

HollyM

Guest Crafterlady46
To be brief (a change for me, I know) a WIP is a Work In Process (so one you are actively working on) and a UFO is an UnFinished Object (formerly a WIP, now consigned to the forgotten depths of a closet, craft bag, pile under the bed etc :lol ) I remember :think for days all of the little acronyms that folks use!!

This board stuff is just too funny. :lol It's a weird shorthand. :think I spend a lot of time tring to understand the way things work. I am getting there. It sure is fun here.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry Priscilla - before long you'll be slinging the lingo with the rest of us as if you were born speaking it! :lol I remember my confusion when I first encountered "frogging" in someone's post! The hard part for me now is when I'm talking to friends and family and slip right into "Crochetville-speak", their puzzled looks are priceless! :rofl

I should probably join this CAL, I've certainly piled up quite a few WIPs and UFOs in the last several months, that's for sure... :eek I think the oldest UFO I found is the "Blanket of Roses" throw kit I recently found - that I started something like 15 or 16 YEARS ago! :eek:eek:eek I bet that's a record! :blush:devil

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I so suck....I still have four projects unfinished, oops make that five, yet I continue to make new stuff! Whats my problem?:(

Okay I so suck....I still have four projects unfinished, oops make that five, yet I continue to make new stuff! Whats my problem?:(

You do not suck and you are not alone. :-) I still have not finished a single UFO since starting this crochet along. I took a picture of it, posted it on my blog and added a link even. I have have not touched it since. LOL!

Stefani I think I am going to have to set a day aside just to finish them, like a UFO-a-thon....Honestly, it makes no sense, most would take less than 30 minutes to complete!!!!! Is there a name for this syndrome? :blush

Stefani I think I am going to have to set a day aside just to finish them, like a UFO-a-thon....Honestly, it makes no sense, most would take less than 30 minutes to complete!!!!! Is there a name for this syndrome? :blush

True. If I just sat my butt down and did it, I would have them all completed. I don't know if there is a name for this syndrome (other than me being lazy :lol - LOL!) If you find a name - please let me know. :D

You know I am ashamed to admit.......I still have not mailed my nieces their Christmas presents. All I need to do is sew a snap on 2 purses and I think sew a strap on just one purse. Oh and pack it all up and head over to the post office! Maybe that is what is keeping me from finishing? :think

I'm a newb to crochetville, but I have 1 big UFO. It's the afghan that I was supposed to make my nephew and give to him LAST christmas. I made all like 82 granny sqaures for this great patriotic blanket for him. Had the pattern of the colors R,W,B and a Verig. of all 3 all worked out, so there were 6 different squares and they were gonna be in diaganols and look cool. Well, I UFO'd it once, and when I came back to it, I think I used the wrong size hook, so my squares weren't all the same size, and I couldn't get them to line up right when I was assembling it...GRRRRR .. NEWAY, I sent all those squares into Online Angels to go toward ghans for others, and started little Gavins blanket all over again, this time 1 giant Granny Square....I can even change hook sizes and it won't mess it up :). But I still haven't finished it, it sat for a few months already this year, and I keep saying it's too hot, or whatever else, and I've done a few other projects in the meantime, I have complete avoidance of this blanket happening...

So I'd like to join this corchet along, and pledge to finish Gavins blanket for Christmas....THIS YEAR!!!!! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!

Ada

Well I think I can join this as well! This weekend I finished piecing together a granny square blanket made from squares I received in a swap. I'm still working on weaving in the many ends and trying to decide whether I want to put a border on it or not. It is HUGE already (25 12'' squares and I croceted a dc crochet border on each square before joining).

Other things to finish: A lb waterfall throw that's been unfinished for probably a year!

granny square purse

little hearts doily (first filet project and have since forgotten how to do some of the stuff)

and eye glasses case.

I know that's not all that much, but I hate having things unfinished for too long!

Ok, I finished the granny square blanket and the LB throw. I think I may frog the glasses case. That leaves the purse and doily. I'll get to them soon, I hope! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would officially post in the UFO section--finished ONE! The One Line afghan is done and ready to be gifted.

Now, I have to find the directions for the other two. Imagine that. Losing the directions.:blush Like this doesn't happen to everybody, right? :lol Oh, yes, and I started TWO projects this weekend to use up scraps...Alas..I'm a victim of saving yarn.

Stephanie

I had a blanket that I started while on a road trip 2 years ago that has sat in my craft closet since returning from said road trip. I loved the yarn used in it... so soft and warm... but for some reason couldn't bring myself to finish it.

After reading what you girls are doing, I went right to my craft closet, brought out the WalMart bag it was in (wasn't that mentioned in the original post?) and frogged the whole thing! I then thought, "Oh my gosh. What the heck have I done!?!"

I'd just like to say that it is now a long, luxurious scarf and matching hat. What I shall do with the other skeins I purchased to use for that blanket, I don't know yet. But I look forward to seeing what they'll become. :D

The first time I saw the word "frog", I cracked up - The Frog Smilie is even better! :2frog

My only UFO is a messed-up red worsted yarn doily. It needs to get frogged and turned into something else!! Thanks for the inspiration!

:bounce

Hilarie

Guys I have taken the plunge and admit I have way to many UFO's lying around and I wanted to see if I admit to this then I will pick up my lazy butt off this chair and computer and get some crocheting done lol like that is going to happen. You know partly its girls like Dot who keep me from doing my work (alright alright I will stop looking for excuses and start my crochet)

Please guys don't take this in bad taste and Dot I love you to pieces don't stop those creative juices from flowing:)

here is my list of UFO's

rose doily for my thread cal

a bag all done just need to make the strap for my bag along

a ripple shawl for the ripple along

and 63 squares ..but wait thats just a wim so technically its not an ufo not yet that is..

I know I am leaving out a lot of things but I want to very badly finish these first so I promise to finish these 3 before I list my endless UFO list:)

take care

hugs

Vims

I guess all my UFO's are techinically WIPS, but the problem is I just keep starting new projects with oiut finishing anything, I do have at least one FOR SURE UFO, but I'm joining this to get all my WIP's done, and that one UFO frogged, will be the first time I frog something and use the yarn for something else! Thanks for starting this, it was much needed, I had just posted pictures of my piles of WIP's on my blog a couple days ago!

OK, I'm in. I'll relent.

Fortunately, I only have two UFOs. One that I picked up and starting working on again. It's the Fresh as a Daisy pattern from the Leisure Arts: Our Best Afghans A to Z booklet. About this time two years ago I handed my mom my crochet pattern books and had her pick an afghan. She picked that one, and asked if I could make it big enough to fit her queen bed. Sure, no problem, just add more squares. Turns out, the squares are tiny (two or three inches as the most) and I had to add a gazillion of them. I still have 306 to go, plus the border, plus weaving. I'm hoping to have it done by this Christmas.

The second is a afghan for my boyfriend. It's crocheted from a chart. It is the Xcellend Choice pattern from the same book as the daisies. I started on it when I went riding in the semi with him in April. Haven't touched it since.

I'm wanting to start an afghan for my sister (undecided pattern), an afghan for her exchange student made like her home country's flag, and something for me! But I will get my mom's afghan finished before I start anything else...but maybe not before I buy more yarn.

• 2 weeks later...

I am SO guilty of this! I kid you not! I suppose the MOST pressing is getting Cindy's Kitchen set,and her afghan finished....and the baby ghan for Bella...( That little cutie was born June 15th...And, she IS cute,by the way...She's my cousin Cathy's newest grandbaby...)

Nita

I'm wanting to start an afghan for my sister (undecided pattern), an afghan for her exchange student made like her home country's flag, and something for me!

Just a comment... having been an 'exchange student' (though in college) three times, getting something like that would be awesome, but I think it would have meant even more if it was the flag of the country that was my 'new' home instead of the home I was going back to. Just something for you to chew over. Good luck with the daisy squares!

LOL! I currently have one UFO in the blanket-box. A Granny Square Afghan that I started years ago, got all the granny-squares done and had been bordering it together.

Recently, I found a video-tape from Thanksgiving 1996 and what do you think I saw sitting on the back of the couch?? Yep, you guessed it, MY UFO!!! Worst of all, it was about 1/3 finished then, and is only about 1/2 finished now... 10 years later!

:coo

Is this some kind of record? or does it just validate my parking at Procrastinators Annonymous? :lol

~ Raven ~

Due to focusing on swaps and Christmas, my UFO list has increased to include the 63 Squares Afghan and an Evening Shawl I've been working on. :eek I'll get back to these sooner or later!

I do believe that I hold one of the longest UFO projects, although it relates to another one of my crafts. I also cross stitch and way back somewhere around 1986 maybe 1987 I started several different cross stitch ornaments. I had decided that they were all too easy for me, in the know it all way that only an 8 year old has! Instead of being the good little cross stitcher and finishing them up and not doing them again, I instead shoved them into a zip lock and condemned them to the bottom of my closet, and then the depths of a storage box! While back in the US in June, I actually came across them, all still half done! :blush And where are they now you ask? Why, put back into the same box that I found them in! :lol

UFO? I love it. I'm a newbie here so the TLA (three letter acronym) for unfinished object is new to me. Yes, I'm guilty of starting projects before finishing others. I don't have too many of those lying around, just one scarf where I ran out of yarn, a poncho that I definitely have to frog, and the worst project is a granny square blanket that I started for a home color scheme that we don't even have any more!

To ease the quilt, I've started using left over yarn to crochet small blankets for the local humane society. Check out "hugs for homeless animals", www.h4ha.org.

LOL! Kimberly, you make me feel better about my own cross stitch UFO. Several years ago I had an attack of insanity. I did this Theresa Wentzler design twice (one for my son, one for the man who is now my fiance) http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/cas_l.html, I did http://www.dimensions-crafts.com/showproduct.asp?colID=2&prodID=03795&reqtype=1 and http://www.dimensions-crafts.com/showproduct.asp?reqtype=1&colID=2&onPage=1&onItem=14&prodID=03881 for my daughter, and then my son saw a gorgeous wizard design on black aida (black -- where was my brain??) and I started it for him. I finished one quadrant, started on the second, and just burnt out. I haven't taken a stitch since in any cross stitch project; the poor wizard -- well, about 5/16 of the poor wizard -- now languishes in a tote bag in an upstairs closet. Every now and then I take him out and sigh about how distinguished he would look if I finished him, and then I stick him back in his bag. Really I think he's happy there. Really!

I do believe that I hold one of the longest UFO projects, although it relates to another one of my crafts. I also cross stitch and way back somewhere around 1986 maybe 1987 I started several different cross stitch ornaments. I had decided that they were all too easy for me, in the know it all way that only an 8 year old has! Instead of being the good little cross stitcher and finishing them up and not doing them again, I instead shoved them into a zip lock and condemned them to the bottom of my closet, and then the depths of a storage box! While back in the US in June, I actually came across them, all still half done! :blush And where are they now you ask? Why, put back into the same box that I found them in! :lol

I am so ashamed to say that my UFO project #1 is still not any closer to being finished. I had such high hopes, I took it out of the closet, posted the picture and link on my blog and still......nothing! I really need to get out of the doldrums and get some work done.

So there is my update. :P

It is a great feeling of accomplishment to finish up those UFO's. acouple of months ago I wanted to start a new project. I just like to to go yarn shopping and start something new. However my guilt got the best of me and instead I decided to finish my UFO's. I finished a sweater and a poncho that were halfway done. It felt so great.:cheer I then immediatly went yarn shopping, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to make the Lion Brand Homespun "Poncho with optional Chenille Thick-N-Quick Trim" (without the "optional Chenille Thick-N-Quick Trim") since about April. I have a beast of a time working with Homespun; my work keeps "growing" wider, and I can't figure out why. Evidently, I'm increasing without realizing it, but I can't figure out how to stop it. I've lost count of how many times I've frogged that thing; should have called myself "Frogger" instead of "CrochetKitty." *giggle*

Archived