I'm almost there!

I got into Ravelry a few weeks back. It is a pretty cool organizing tool. Maybe I'm just not social enough or whatever, or maybe it's the setup, but I like the forums here much better....

It's an online community, much like this one, where you can meet other crocheters and knitters, share patterns and ideas. It's loads of fun!!!

Yah know... I just don't see the attraction. It is very difficult to find anything and most of the stuff they offer is of no use to me.

I really think this is intended for the Facebook type person. Ok, the Ville spoils me and quite frankly I haven't been to half the places here but I can go looking and expect to find that stuff.

I joined the Ville group over there and it was funny how we all just natter and natter away here and we were suddenly all tongue tied (finger tied :wlol ) over there.

I guess I'll just keep going every so often and see if there is something there that I can't seem to see. I am remembering that old commercial that said, "Where's the beef?". I am thinking, "Where's the fun?"

I got in about a week ago, I never spend much time on line, so any time spent on Ravelry is time taken from here . . . . . I'd rather be here. They do have some cool search features, like if you want to see what people have made from a specific yarn, or if you want to see what others have done with a pattern - - It's more a resource to me than a place to hang out. But I'm glad it's there!

Yah know... I just don't see the attraction. It is very difficult to find anything and most of the stuff they offer is of no use to me.

I really think this is intended for the Facebook type person. Ok, the Ville spoils me and quite frankly I haven't been to half the places here but I can go looking and expect to find that stuff.

I joined the Ville group over there and it was funny how we all just natter and natter away here and we were suddenly all tongue tied (finger tied :wlol ) over there.

I guess I'll just keep going every so often and see if there is something there that I can't seem to see. I am remembering that old commercial that said, "Where's the beef?". I am thinking, "Where's the fun?"

I agree with you 100%, darski. I really don't see the big deal about it. I like the Ville better. :think

I've been on for around a week or so....so far I like it. I think the thing that I like the most about it is if I have a pattern in mind that I want to make, but I don't have or can't afford the suggested yarn, I can type that in and see what yarn other people have used for that project. If you type in the yarn that you have, it will also give you a list of what other people have made with that particular yarn.

So far, it is a lot of knitters....if a bunch of other crocheter join, we will have more patterns to select from.....GO JOIN!

As far as it being a site for Facebook type....I'm not and have never been to facebook....I'm 44 years old. I don't view it the same way as I view Crochetville. I just think it's a wonderful resource. How many times have you said to yourself....I wonder what else I could make with this yarn...or what have other people made with this yarn. I haven't gone to their forums much yet....I like it here.

I think Ravelry is a good resource tool and I guess there is alot there to offer. I'm not too impressed with the forums though. Seems to me there are alot of knitters, I know there are crocheters too, but it still seems a little lopsided to me. I definitely like the forums here better and flickr is the only picture hosting program you can use, at least right now. I set one up, but I already have Webshots and for me it's alot of passwords and such to remember. It does have some good features though.

I don't see the magic of ravelry either. I have been a member for quite a while now and basically don't use it. It isn't very user friendly and the software isn't exactly intuitive. In other words I am lazy and spoiled. I don't want to have to work to figure out how to find things or post them. here at the 'ville the information is right where you expect it to be and if you can't find it ask; someone will help.

Well it doesn't sound so great. I LOVE it here, people are so nice and willing to share their creative talents with strangers, so willing to help others when they run into a problem.I love seeing what others are creating. I think I will keep my fingers planted here with you GREAT people.

I've only been on the list for less than a month, I think, and I'm already down to less than 6,000 in front of me (from 18,000). I'm excited. The good thing is, we don't have to choose between Ravelry and the Ville--we can do both. I love the idea of being able to see my stash organized and my projects and hooks, and that you can print out a card of your supplies to carry in your purse! In case you're at the store and can't remember what hooks you own.

I also am excited to see what others are using yarns for and what projects they are making. I'm not surprised that it's mostly knitters, as it's been started by knitters, but I'm sure more crocheters will join.

This is mine:

• You signed up on October 12, 2007
  • You are #43277 on the list.
  • 12296 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 2565 people are behind you in line.
  • 66% of the list has been invited so far

I actually kind of forgot about it till I saw this! I don't understand why there is a 'waiting' list and why you have to be invited. Keep down spam perhaps?

Hmm...interesting comments. I probably won't sign up for it. I barely have time to get over here any more. If I were cranking out projects constantly, or selling my own designs I probably would. But I'm so busy now (my kid has karate, fall baseball, band, football), I only get to pick up my hook about twice a week. Most projects (that I would make anyway) are usually posted here in finished form at some point or another anyway. I guess i'll just stick with this.

This is mine:

I don't understand why there is a 'waiting' list and why you have to be invited. Keep down spam perhaps?

It's because they are still in beta testing. What happened was they invited people to help test out the site, but way more people than they could handle at once wanted to help so they created the waiting list. Once they are out of testing there will be no waiting list and you won't even need to login to browse the site.

Archived