What were they thinking?

Just a FYI: I add new pattern links on CPC Wednesday night (hopefully before 8:30) and Saturday morning (hopefully before 10:30, usually before 8:30).

This is really great to know! Lol, I'm also so very thankful for the person that mentioned where to click on cpc to find the new additions. I have my several categories that I really like so every so often I go through all of them to see if I notice anything new...I never realized that there was a new pattern link :oops

No matter what the picture shows, it's a super sweater and look at the range of sizes! You could make it for everyone on your Christmas list and it would fit them all. I'm not so ambitious or generous, if I get one made for me I will be happy. Zaraliz

This is really great to know! Lol, I'm also so very thankful for the person that mentioned where to click on cpc to find the new additions. I have my several categories that I really like so every so often I go through all of them to see if I notice anything new...I never realized that there was a new pattern link :oops

it really is a pleasant little part of my Saturday to go through the new stuff. it doesn't take that long and you can keep track of what is happening out there.

My Firefox browser lets me peek at the sites so I don't have to go to each one... That does save time. :wlol

Even though the model had long hair, I could still see that the sweater was a V neck...I'm not really sure it would have been that much better with a model with her hair up or with short hair...I could still see the V...

Even though the model had long hair, I could still see that the sweater was a V neck...I'm not really sure it would have been that much better with a model with her hair up or with short hair...I could still see the V...

i must really be missing something. :think I think the neck goes all the way round. :eek

Yes the V is at the front but the neck goes all the way round.

OR am I wrong and it is something else and not a neck after the CF?

I spent way too much of my life sewing obviously.

I have too much going on and just don't know what you mean by CF. :think

No one is saying there is no neck in the back, just that it's most likely the same in the back and shoulders as any other sweater.

What I'm thinking and I'm guessing eurolyons maybe be also is that a sweater is a sweater and it has 'normal' shoulders and curves (or is straight) behind the neck. In otherwords it's most likely the same as any other sweater except that it Vs rather than boats or curves, etc.

The hair, rather up or down isn't going to change that. The only big surprise it could be hiding is if it's off the shoulders, then I would like to see it too. However it is obvious even with the hair, that it's not off the shoulders.

Also with her hair up, we still wouldn't see the back because they're not offering a back photo.

I hope that makes sense. :lol

I don't think the picture is that bad---I was expecting much worse. To tell you the truth, the first thing I noticed was the stitch pattern and how nice it was; between the picture and the diagram of the pattern, I think it's clear how the pattern goes together.

Some other pictures for other patterns are pretty bad, though.

:ohdear:irk That type of picture is one of my pet peeves; another is when a pattern is posted online with NO pictures! How am I supposed to know if I want to spend the time and expense to make something and I don't know what it looks like?!

Just thought I'd add that I have the book that the pattern is from, Everyday Crochet, checked out from the library. In the book there is one decent sized pic of the sweater laid out flat, and a fullpage one of the same model with her hair blown back so you can see the whole neck and the shoulders. The foreword says all the sweaters are made top-down with raglan increases and no shoulder seams. The book also has some stitch diagrams, really clear photos of all the garments, and good schematics.

My pet peeve is terrible photos, but I didn't think this one was that bad. On the Canadian Living site, I clicked on the granny square afghan pic, only to find the same smaller-than-a-postage-stamp pic---now that is bad! I definitely agree that all pictures should be large enough to see details, and show the whole item, NOT artistically folded:thair or with the model with her arms wrapped around herself etc.

Did you see Annies Attic free pattern today (http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/printer.html)

You can barely see the tablecloth... :no I can barely see how the corners are joined and the squares seem pretty simple, but still...

It really wasn't necessary to put all that clutter on the table. You do have to wonder what were they thinking for that one?

My original post is certainly not the worst of this lot but it does speak to the presentation.

I think most of us depend on the picture to help with directions as well as deciding whether to try a pattern or not.

• 1 year later...

When I saw this pattern, I remembered this post and discussion...

Log Cabin Afghan

Even the downloadable PDF doesn't give a good view of the finished project. I kind of know what a log cabin looks like, but I haven't looked at one forever. So if I didn't know what the squares looked like, it would be frustrating.

Debbi

I am in the process of making this cardi, and I think you will find there are no seams, which is one of the reasons why I LOVE Doris Chan, once you finish stiching and weaving in ends THATS IT. And also she has instructions for bigger sizes too, I made the soft serve 50 in bust in just under 1 week and was wearing it on the weekend.

When I saw this pattern, I remembered this post and discussion...

Log Cabin Afghan

Even the downloadable PDF doesn't give a good view of the finished project. I kind of know what a log cabin looks like, but I haven't looked at one forever. So if I didn't know what the squares looked like, it would be frustrating.

Debbi

That picture presentation has to be one of the all time worst ever. There is nothing there that would tell you what that ghan looks like when made.

to be fair, they usually do a better job in the PDF's but not always.

One of my pet peeves, too! I recently saw an ad by Red Heart yarn in a crochet mag, and the afghan is wrong-side-showing! I thouight - don't they have any crochet experts to supervise these photo sessions? I realize many people can't tell the right side from the wrong side, but anybody that crochets can! Or, sometimes, the corners of a cardigan are curling up. I think to myself "WHY didn't they straighten those out?!" LOL

• 3 months later...

If you look at the old patterns from the 40's 50's and 60's, they displayed the finished garment so that you knew what it should look like when completed. Now, they seem to be more interested in how they present the model and often the actual pattern is very difficult to see. It is one of my pet hates of the modern patterns.

It is interesting to me how this plays out and then how my perception of the likely problems with that pattern

I have a recent crochet mag that has a suit project. in every picture of the suit they make sure that the hem of the jacket is blocked from view. Now we all know that crochet can curl rather often. I believe that that jacket curls and they can't fix it. But then I am a certified cynic. :rofl

Archived