Dishcloth Tuesdays!

amandapace

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Debbie, it looks pretty thick which should be good when washing dishes and pots and pans. I like the colors--very pretty--and the fan design. Is it a variegated cotton?

Yes, it is a variegated cotton, Sugar 'N Cream, and I think it's called country sage ombre or something quite similar. It's got sage green, some beige and sort of a mustard yellow. The solid color is sage green.

hmm ~ signed up to do this quite a while ago and then I totally forgot. Will have to try and remember to start back up. Maybe putting a sticky note by my crochet bag will help with the lack of memory???

Looked at a lot of your pics - you all have been making some really pretty dishcloths!

til next time....

you don't chain on this one when you turn, you just turn and sl st into the first ch2 space.

The (2dc ch2) 5 times, then 3 times, works out when you do it, at least it did for me :lol I'm gonna do another one, but my fingers are knitted out, I FINISHED my sunflower!!!

th_DSC01423.jpg

Jeannie, I'll look at the pattern again tomorrow and tell you what I come up with.

Is this knitted? I love it, and sunflower, but cant knit!

Michele- yes the sunflower is knit, it's from the book Garden Dishcloths to Knit 12 designs by Melissa Bergland Burnham. If you're interested in learning to knit, but can't wrap your head around sitting around making swatches, this is a great book. All the designs are simple Knit and Purl, nothing fancy, and they are sooooo gratifying to make!

Michele- yes the sunflower is knit, it's from the book Garden Dishcloths to Knit 12 designs by Melissa Bergland Burnham. If you're interested in learning to knit, but can't wrap your head around sitting around making swatches, this is a great book. All the designs are simple Knit and Purl, nothing fancy, and they are sooooo gratifying to make!

Thank you!! I will have to look into it. I have in the past bought the teach yourself to knit book, but I am all thumbs!! I taught myself how to crochet with the teach yourself book many moons ago while awaiting the birth of my DD, who is now 22!!!

Thank you for responding!! Have a gread day:manyheart

I am a new member here. Is it too late to join in with this Dishcloth Tueday's group? I bought some yarn on sale at Michael's awhile back and would like to have at least a dozen of my own dishcloths in my linen drawer for daily use.

Lydia

Jana, do you have Windows Calendar on your puter? Check your programs. I put a repeating reminder on mine and there's a big reminder on my computer when I get up on Tuesday mornings. I was using the Yahoo Calendar but I'm not always in my email so sometimes I miss those.

Also, if I don't see you on Tuesdays, maybe I'll send you a pm. I went after a few this past Tuesday. :lol

hmm ~ signed up to do this quite a while ago and then I totally forgot. Will have to try and remember to start back up. Maybe putting a sticky note by my crochet bag will help with the lack of memory???

Looked at a lot of your pics - you all have been making some really pretty dishcloths!

til next time....

Lydia, a warm :welcome to the CAL and to Crochetville!

Never too late to join a CAL. Actually, this one has been resurrected. Forgot when it was initially started...have to look back at the first post.

You mentioned that you bought some yarn awhile back. Dishcloths should be made with 100% cotton yarn like Sugar 'n Cream or Peaches and Creme. It's the same weight as worsted but it's all cotton.

BTW, you don't have to wait for Tuesdays to make a dishcloth. :lol

I am a new member here. Is it too late to join in with this Dishcloth Tueday's group? I bought some yarn on sale at Michael's awhile back and would like to have at least a dozen of my own dishcloths in my linen drawer for daily use.

Lydia

bama_belle, As I said in the post above to Lydia, 100% cotton, Sugar 'n Cream or Peaches and Creme is best for dishcloths. Acrylic does not work because, I think :?, it doesn't absorb the water.

Hope you join us! :yes

OK. So what do you all use for dish cloths? acrylic, 100% cotton, what do you prefer?

Lydia, a warm :welcome to the CAL and to Crochetville!

Never too late to join a CAL. Actually, this one has been resurrected. Forgot when it was initially started...have to look back at the first post.

You mentioned that you bought some yarn awhile back. Dishcloths should be made with 100% cotton yarn like Sugar 'n Cream or Peaches and Creme. It's the same weight as worsted but it's all cotton.

BTW, you don't have to wait for Tuesdays to make a dishcloth. :lol

I've made many dishcloths for friends and family and have always made them with cotton. Now I'm making them for myself. Yes, acrylic is not absorbent, and it can scratch up dishes and pots/pans.

Thanks for welcoming me here!

Jana, do you have Windows Calendar on your puter? Check your programs. I put a repeating reminder on mine and there's a big reminder on my computer when I get up on Tuesday mornings. I was using the Yahoo Calendar but I'm not always in my email so sometimes I miss those.

Also, if I don't see you on Tuesdays, maybe I'll send you a pm. I went after a few this past Tuesday. :lol

I will have to check when I get home to see if I have a reminder calendar. I know I have one here at work, but that does me no good.

Well...wait a minute...*light bulb moment*:idea...I do crochet during my lunch half hour. So if I just leave some cotton and hook in my desk drawer, put the reminder on my work calendar, then I could start the dishcloth during lunch on Tuesdays!:crocheting Now to remember to bring in cotton and the right size hook.

And if that doesn't work, yes, please PM me. You can PM me anytime. I love signing on and seeing I have messages. Makes my day.:manyheart

It's tuesday ladies who else if fired up?? I have to work 2 rounds on my daughters Lace and Bobbles Ghan, but then I'm going to be making this dishcloth It's so cute, I just want to try it, have some great verigated cottons I want to work with!

Ada, I want to make that one too. But yesterday I started on the coffee pot pot holder from the Ultimate Book of Pot Holders.

Don't know what I'll get done today. I slept late, as usual, have to get shower, etc., cause I have a 2:00 EDT physical therapy appt., and they keep you there a long time.

So, maybe I'll just make the little dress one later on today.

:hug

Here's my dishcloths for Tuesday. I almost forgot that today was Tuesday, because of yesterday's holiday.

HPIM0849.jpg

This is a very cute dress dishcloth. Too cute to use, in my humble opinion. LOL Here's the link to the pattern: http://www.jimsyldesign.com/dishbout/cpatterns/crodress.html

HPIM0852.jpg

This is just a round dishcloth, nothing fancy. I actually used the first few rows of a hat pattern and stopped before the increases. The border is just a shell pattern.

I plan to start a cloth tonight. I am not sure I will get in done tonight. I am starting the fan and feathers or feather and fans not sure which way it goes. I had to rip out the one I started last week. Great dish cloths legalwoman17.

:yay Theresa! My pm got one of you out of the woodwork. Didn't have to send it to Ada cause she was already here.

I just finished the little dress dishcloth in white with Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Candycane. It looks a little bit festive. No picture yet.

I think this pattern would look cute in thread in Christmas colors for tree ornaments. Gonna give it a try sometime. Maybe with size 5 or size 3 thread or maybe even size 10.

Debbie, your little dress is adorable! That's a pretty variegated with it. I don't think I have that one :(. In the Kitchen Swap awhile back, the partner I had likes sage and earth tones so I have a lot of that.

I agree with you, too. It's too pretty to use and besides, I don't think it looks very useful for a dishcloth. The 2nd one looks good and more useful. The shell edging makes it look pretty.

Mel, so sorry you've had a migraine. Hope it has let up or better yet gone completely away by now. I used to have those really bad and it is miserable. I'm amazed you managed to make a dishcloth. Is that a particular pattern or just a stitch pattern you used? I like it and it looks useful for doing dishes.

Those novelty ones are fun to make; but to me, they just don't look like they'd be good for dish washing. Besides, they're either too cute or pretty.

Mel, so sorry you've had a migraine. Hope it has let up or better yet gone completely away by now. I used to have those really bad and it is miserable. I'm amazed you managed to make a dishcloth. Is that a particular pattern or just a stitch pattern you used? I like it and it looks useful for doing dishes.

Those novelty ones are fun to make; but to me, they just don't look like they'd be good for dish washing. Besides, they're either too cute or pretty.

The migraine is gone now. Sleeping most of the day helped. Normally when I get a migraine it lasts at least 2 days. I got lucky with this one.

The dishcloth I made today is my own pattern. I wanted dishcloths with more texture and played around with stitches and finally hit on what I was looking for. It is fast, easy and they work great. You can find the pattern here. In the pattern I said I used a K hook. If you don't want it so loose you can go down in hook size.

Archived