Bobbling Along Aran Tote bag

Kiirs

I saw this pattern last year and just had to try it immediately. I finished it early last spring but haven't gotten around to taking pictures till now. I use it all the time to carry crochet projects around; I love it to death. My mother-in-law helped me with the lining because I don't know how to sew well. I love this pattern--I'll probably make another one in a different color. Here's the pattern link: http://roundtheville.wordpress.com/2006/02/28/pattern-of-the-month/

If you want to make this, don't forget the pattern correction in the comments:

CORRECTION TO PATTERN:

Row 78: Ch 1, turn. Sc in first sc, **FPDC around FPDC, sc in next sc, double FPDC around double FPDC, sc in next 2 sc, popcorn in next sc, sc in next 2 sc, double FPDC around double FPDC, sc in next sc, FPDC around FPDC,** sc in next 3 sc, FPDC around FPDC, sc in next sc, double FPDC around double FPDC, sc in next sc, ch 3, sc in next sc, double FPDC around double FPDC, sc in next sc, FPDC around FPDC, sc in next 3 sc, rep ** to ** once, sc in last sc.

The only thing I would change about the pattern is that I wish I would've lined the handle as well--it's stretched quite a lot.

th_bobblingalongbag.jpg

th_bobblingalongtotelining.jpg

I've made several of these as gifts and they've always been well received. I love the pattern! Although to my knowledge none of the recipients have mentioned stretching of the handle.

Love the color you chose!

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! I'm glad I could introduce some more people to the pattern--Celeste did a terrific job with this pattern. :)

Love the pattern!

Found this way to stop the handle from stretching. Buy at least 30 pound test fishing line. This is heavy enough to stop the stretching but easy to work with. Cut a piece long enough to go around the handle and across the front of the bag. You can use a yarn needle to just run it thru the outside edge of the yarn handle and across the front. Tie it off and don't cut the ends, just work them into the yarn. Do the same for the back.

If the handle has already stretched to much maybe you could wash and dry it. That should make it go back to the original length, then use the fishing line. I made the Tapestry Tote bag and used this idea and it has worked perfectly.

I agree...it was awesome of Celeste to share this pattern, for free especially! It's super easy once it gets going and really makes for an attractive bag! I've done one in black and one in a rosey heather, both with awesome linings. Might even make myself one for winter.

Thank you for the tip about the fishing line! So you say washing it will make it un-stretch? It's just cheap Red Heart...will that work?

Archived