granny squares

Can I just let it be known, to the general crochet public here, that I HATE making granny squares! :lookout I am making the sock monkey baby afghan in the SnB book and have made 4 of 16 squares and am dreading the next dozen! How do all of you granny lovers stand them???

They are wonderful when you want to work on something, but don't want to, or can't, concentrate fully on something. :hook A nice, mindless project. I have to be in the right mood for them, otherwise I can't stand them either. :yes

They're easy but I hate putting them together and for some reason I can make a prettier square from a more complicated stitch; my grannies sometimes look kind of "off".

I tend to skip over patterns with grannies.

I only like them because they let me play with COLOR!

I crochet them so I don't have to sew in the ends- see Pauline Turner method and I crochet them together using sc, I do not sew!!!

They are OK for a small project on the go with lost of fab color play....:)

Otherwise they are:angry , and no I couldn't do an afghan or baby blanket....:think

I am not a fan of the granny square, either. I don't like the look of them, and I don't like boredom of making them. I only like to make squares with interesting patterns, that can be crocheted together, and do not require sewing.

I just learned a way to crochet the squares in process of making the square. When I am at the last row I slip stitch to join the square. I just finished my first baby afghan with this stitch. I t is unreal.

I like them, if only I didn't have to join them!

I agree with Sylvia also. Joining is just the pits. Plus tucking in the ends drives me nutso.

:manyheart

I admit, Mom taught me to crochet using Granny's. My current group of cat's (one 12 year old, 3 5 year olds and a 1 year old) are not cross-stitch or quilt friendly. I can use granny's to simulate squares and half squares. They take me 10-15 min depending on if it's one of the multi color ones. They are easy and small to carry. Joining them does take me being in the right mood. I usually replicate quilt patterns. They are also light enough for summer afghans.

Is it me or does fall seem to be coming early to the mid west? Winter coats are coming in a few months early this year. Looks like a cold winter to me.

laura

I'm making my first granny square afghan ... with 120 of the same square (6 inch squares. yikes! It will be big enough for a bed. Don't mind making them or joining them ... it's weaving in the ends I keep putting off. Not to mention, I made a rookie mistake of choosing a pattern with two color changes. So, every square has 6 ends to weave in times 120 squares= 720 ends to weave in. Oh man! :no

I love to make squares with patterns instead of plain grannies. I work over the color change ends and weave the ends in before joning squares. I use the crochet method for joining. Any pattern that says "join as you go" is really great.

Ellie 13

I don't mind making them. Just hate weaving the ends in so make sure you weave the ends in as you go along. That's my big hold up on an afghan I'm making. Good luck.

Archived