Pot Holders

nevadamama

I like to keep a supply of pot holders as quick thank you gifts ........ for librarians, the gals in the doctor's office, my hairdressers, cashiers, food servers, etc. I also inclued a little card thanking them for their services with "crocheted just for you, by" with my name. Now people remember me when I come back and I seem to get better service too. Can't tell you how many mentioned that it reminded them of their grandmother/aunt/mother and love the fact that is was hand made.

3potholderswr4.jpg

They are very pretty. Do you put a heat block material inside? I have heard of people using pieces of ironing board cover fabric to block heat even when they use cotton yarns.

Debbie

uwcheese

They are very pretty. Do you put a heat block material inside? I have heard of people using pieces of ironing board cover fabric to block heat even when they use cotton yarns.

Debbie

uwcheese

I've crocheted these for years with just whatever yarn is in my stash. I don't line them with any thing but they are two layers thick. They wash very nicely and last forever.

They are beautiful!

However, I think I'd feel safer with a cotton yarn. Acrylic will melt in contact with a lot of heat. For decoration, I think any kind of yarn would look nice (if giving as a gift I certainly would tell them it is for decorative purposes or label them not-heat resistant).

It's a very pretty pattern though!

Those are so pretty and I love your colors. Can you tell me where to find the pattern?

Thanks

I probably have a pattern somewhere ........ I got it off the internet but I don't remember where. It's made with dc in a V stitch and after making so many I crochet it without thinking.

:scrachin

I've never had a problem with any of the pot holders melting and I've used them in my own kitchen for years.

That is such a nice thing to do! And they are just beautiful!

Oh and I actually have two potholders/hotpads that my grandma made and I have had no problems with them melting...They are definately acrylic too. And those are usually the only potholders we use here (the store bought ones just aren't thick enought to keep the heat out unlike the ones my grandma made)

Archived